Is this an involuntary bump?

Old May 25, 18, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Is this an involuntary bump?

Hi all, weird situation last night that I will try to keep concise.
  1. Flying from LIR-MSP, connecting in ATL.
  2. I check in online 24 hours in advance. E-boarding pass not available.
  3. At LIR airport, Delta agent checks me in. Given a "Seat Request" boarding pass for ATL-MSP.
  4. Clear customs in ATL.
  5. Pre-security Delta agent cannot assign me a seat due to system error. Gate agent receives same error. "Need help" agent was also confused, sends me to phone line.
  6. Delta phone agents cannot assign seat, transfers me to supervisor.
  7. After 20 minute hold, supervisor confirms my seat has been given away. Says it's my fault for not checking in. Original flight is departing in 10 minutes, so she re-books me on the next ATL-MSP flight (last row, middle seat) which was delayed.
All told, the final damage was landing two hours later (12:30 AM) but mostly a ton of stress and headache. Since my seat was given away without my consent and the new arrival was 1-4 hours later, I believe USDOT Regulations require 200% of the one way fare as compensation for an involuntary bump.

Am I way off base? I'm Silver Medallion, if that matters.
Old May 25, 18, 12:28 pm

If you werenít checked in, then the compensation rule doesnít apply. The flight would also need to be oversold.
Old May 25, 18, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
If you weren’t checked in, then the compensation rule doesn’t apply. The flight would also need to be oversold.
Was I not checked in?

I checked in online 24 hours in advance. Delta agent also checked me in at LIR. I had an ATL-MSP boarding pass and cleared three layers of security (LIR, Customs, ATL)
Old May 25, 18, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Doesn't the Seat Request card mean that the OP was indeed checked in but awaiting a seat assignment at the gate?

In fact, assuming that this was a single PNR/ticket and all DL flights, how would it be possible to check in for only the first segment?
Old May 25, 18, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Doesn't the Seat Request card mean that the OP was indeed checked in but awaiting a seat assignment at the gate?

In fact, assuming that this was a single PNR/ticket and all DL flights, how would it be possible to check in for only the first segment?
If you donít have a seat on the first segment, then checking in at origin or online will only checkin the first segment.

If OP has the original domestic boarding pass and can show that the flight was oversold, there could be a convincing case to request compensation. It would be up to 200% of the prorated segment fare.
Old May 25, 18, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

All DL flights. Both flights had same record locator.
Old May 25, 18, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

If you donít have a seat on the first segment, then checking in at origin or online will only checkin the first segment.

If OP has the original domestic boarding pass and can show that the flight was oversold, there could be a convincing case to request compensation. It would be up to 200% of the prorated segment fare.
I had a seat assignment for LIR-MSP. ATL-MSP was the "seat request" boarding pass.

Any way to show the flight was oversold? I saw 9 passengers on standby when I arrived at the gate. I missed the pre-boarding action due to being diverted to the Delta help desk.
Old May 25, 18, 12:39 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I think this absolutely qualifies for IDB compensation. Especially if you had bags checked through to MSP it's pretty obvious you were checked in. Also they wouldn't have been able to issue you a "seat request" if you weren't checked in. Even if you hadn't checked in for the last segment it would have been handled like a no show right?
Old May 25, 18, 12:43 pm

Did you talk to that flightís gate agent?
Old May 25, 18, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Did you talk to that flightís gate agent?
Yes, he reported the same system error and told me to go to the Delta help desk at the end of the terminal.

From there, the Help desk agent was also getting errors, so she sent me to the phones.
Old May 25, 18, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by TonyPlush View Post

After 20 minute hold, supervisor confirms my seat has been given away. Says it's my fault for not checking in. Original flight is departing in 10 minutes, so she re-books me on the next ATL-MSP flight (last row, middle seat) which was delayed.
Am I way off base? I'm Silver Medallion, if that matters.
Did you have seat assignments in the first place that were lost in a schedule change or some other minor thing? Could that have caused an issue somehow?
Old May 25, 18, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84 View Post
Did you have seat assignments in the first place that were lost in a schedule change or some other minor thing? Could that have caused an issue somehow?
The only unusual detail was that I received a paper at LIR check in stating "Notice- change of aircraft required for at least one of your flights / you must change aircraft en route even though your ticket may show only one flight number..."
Old May 25, 18, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TonyPlush View Post
The only unusual detail was that I received a paper at LIR check in stating "Notice- change of aircraft required for at least one of your flights / you must change aircraft en route even though your ticket may show only one flight number..."
You clearly were checked in then. You were on a direct flight. It's not possible to not checkin the whole way. They didn't have seats on the 2nd half of your flight. Call customer service, not reservations. You are due something.
altabello likes this.
Old May 25, 18, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The problem here is that DL sells this connection as a direct flight. I take it that this was DL 356 which is marketed as operating LIR-MSP with a stop at ATL. However, that stop necessarily includes CBP clearance and also includes a change of aircraft.

While the practice is terrible, DOT has refused to take action against it. Now, DL's IT has failed and that resulted in the BP issue which led to what seems to be an IDB.

OP did check-in and was handed paperwork which suggests that he was confirmed into a seat on the ATL-MSP segment. He simply was not confirmed into a specific seat, but there is no requirement for a seat assignment in the rule. DL could do open seating just like WN.

Thus, if OP presented himself at the gate no later than T-15 he should have been issued a BP. According to the conversation, another passenger was given his seat, leading to the conclusion that the flight was overbooked and at risk of oversale by at least 1, if not more.

DOT could care less that you are Silver. You are due 200% of the segment fare, capped at $1,350. Because you were booked LIR-MSP, that will be calculated based on the relative percentage of ATL-MSP as a percentage of the total of the two segments.

I would make a simplified claim. There is a lot of stuff in the post which is irrelevant. Keep it simple and the lack of confusion will lead to a better result. Don't hesitate to follow up with DOT if there is not quick (and positive) action by DL.
zeebanker, olegator and altabello like this.
Old May 25, 18, 1:37 pm

Often1 has great advice here. I would add, do everything in writing (or via the online customer service portal as long as you can get a copy of your request via email or something). This keeps the details clear, and makes follow up with DOT a lot easier.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: