Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to 2 Million Lifetime Skymiles

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Sky Miles
Getting to 2 Million Lifetime Skymiles

I currently have 1,918,000 lifetime miles on Delta and am currently a Lifetime Silver Medallion member. I am trying to get to 2 million to get lifetime Gold but I don't fly more than once a year any more. If I get an AmEx/Delta Platinum Card I can get 45,000 miles and 15,000 MQMs. The MQMs will help me get to 2 million but will the 45,000 count? Also, will any purchases on the Platinum card help me get to the 2 million? Any thoughts on how else I can get to 2 million given I fly so little now?
Old May 25, 2018, 8:58 am

Only MQMs will help you. Card purchases and the 45,000 signup bonus won’t help.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you fly very little, there's not much benefit to having Gold status.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
If you spend $25,000 on the card within the calendar year you will get a 10,000 MQM boost; a $50,000 annual spend gives you 20,000 MQM.
If you rarely fly, why does it matter to get annual (not lifetime; they can change the rules) gold?
Old May 25, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Was this a post to brag about having,918,000 miles, because if you flew that much you would likely know how to obtain the remaining miles
ariel_sjo likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
Was this a post to brag about having,918,000 miles, because if you flew that much you would likely know how to obtain the remaining miles
Believe it or not, there are more MMers that DON’T know than do. My business partner is one of them — 3-4MM and doesn’t have a clue about any of this stuff and doesn’t care. It’s seemingly astonishing that someone that travels so much is so ignorant of airline operations.

I just installed the DL app on his phone last year. He still doesn’t use it, and still uses travel websites to book flights.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Sky Miles
Having almost two million miles is nothing to brag about! It mainly means I was never home. Furthermore, the Delta Sky Miles representative told me that they would count and that is why I posted my question since that response was inconsistent with what I had read on the Delta website. Thanks buddy!
TheHorta likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
It isn’t obvious to me whether delta lifetime miles are MQM’s or butt-in-seat miles. Apparently, it’s MQM’s, so Delta Amex card bonuses and premium class of service bonuses count.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bowgie
It isn’t obvious to me whether delta lifetime miles are MQM’s or butt-in-seat miles. Apparently, it’s MQM’s, so Delta Amex card bonuses and premium class of service bonuses count.
OP was also asking about the 45K RDM signup bonus that comes with the Amex card. That bonus does not count. He was apparently told that it does.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Yes, it's MQMs that count for lifetime status.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:21 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Believe it or not, there are more MMers that DON’T know than do. My business partner is one of them — 3-4MM and doesn’t have a clue about any of this stuff and doesn’t care. It’s seemingly astonishing that someone that travels so much is so ignorant of airline operations.
MM don't worry about spend per year or even how many miles they get in a year. When the miles add up they fly for free. The status part simply means they can enjoy the free bags and hustling to the front of a boarding group to store bags. OH yes at Gold they have some chance of upgrades on the non-business time flights they select based on low cost 10 months ahead

Rules ?? we don't need to map them out until we are only a few months out from achieving another level, hence the friendly question on flyertalk
Old May 25, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Skiguy1955
I currently have 1,918,000 lifetime miles on Delta and am currently a Lifetime Silver Medallion member. I am trying to get to 2 million to get lifetime Gold but I don't fly more than once a year any more. If I get an AmEx/Delta Platinum Card I can get 45,000 miles and 15,000 MQMs. The MQMs will help me get to 2 million but will the 45,000 count? Also, will any purchases on the Platinum card help me get to the 2 million? Any thoughts on how else I can get to 2 million given I fly so little now?
Originally Posted by LBJ
If you fly very little, there's not much benefit to having Gold status.
OP... you will not get lifetime GM. You will get annual complimentary GM... only for as long as DL management sees a benefit to the airline from graciously renewing you at that level.

LBJ... indeed. For years, I worked in the engineering department for large multi-national company. We had our own departmental newspaper and one of the engineers contributed cartoons to it. One cartoon showed, in the first panel, a designer diligently hunkered down over his drafting table. The second panel showed designer looking up while his boss congratulated him for being named "Employee of the Month." The third panel showed the designer again diligently hunkered down over his drafting table. That cartoon pretty well epitomizes what one should expect to achieve when passing 2 MM on DL.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Lounge access on international flights is the main benefit I was shooting for as "annual GM" -- though by the time I stop flying enough to drop below GM (or jump ship) they probably will have eliminated that.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
LBJ... indeed. For years, I worked in the engineering department for large multi-national company. We had our own departmental newspaper and one of the engineers contributed cartoons to it. One cartoon showed, in the first panel, a designer diligently hunkered down over his drafting table. The second panel showed designer looking up while his boss congratulated him for being named "Employee of the Month." The third panel showed the designer again diligently hunkered down over his drafting table. That cartoon pretty well epitomizes what one should expect to achieve when passing 2 MM on DL.
You also get a gift (suitcase or the like).
Old May 26, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Lounge access on international flights is the main benefit I was shooting for as "annual GM" -- though by the time I stop flying enough to drop below GM (or jump ship) they probably will have eliminated that.
halfway there on 1/1/19. no partner lounge access

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.