Crackdown on MS for MQD waiver?

Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It just says that my card spend is $25K+ as of June 15th and tyhe bottom bar graph is totally green. It doesn't give any more information that I can find.
Give Sharkey's link, https://www.delta.com/acctactvty/myskymiles.action , a try - the spend shows correctly for me there. If you aren't logged in when you click it, you may need to log in and then paste the URL again to go to the actual page it's referencing.

I think this is a bug introduced with the new web site front page rollout. On the old web site, it shows the spend correctly on the front page progress bar uniquely for diamond. I think they forgot that test case when building the new site - the front page shows I've spent 250k+, when I definitely have not. But the old front page on my other computer, and the link above, show the correct data.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If I recall last year, it stopped tracking once I re-qualified for DM. Qualified this year so will watch to see if the bar stops or if it keeps going.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Mine just updated last night. Spend tracker now lines up with my spend correctly.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BenA
Give Sharkey's link, https://www.delta.com/acctactvty/myskymiles.action , a try - the spend shows correctly for me there. If you aren't logged in when you click it, you may need to log in and then paste the URL again to go to the actual page it's referencing.

I think this is a bug introduced with the new web site front page rollout. On the old web site, it shows the spend correctly on the front page progress bar uniquely for diamond. I think they forgot that test case when building the new site - the front page shows I've spent 250k+, when I definitely have not. But the old front page on my other computer, and the link above, show the correct data.
Mine still just says $25K+ as of JUN 18.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
The lagging updates still seem to be plaguing mine but as there is some evidence of periodic catchup I've decided to just accelerate my plans from finishing around December 20 to finishing around December 1.

Currently right around $125, so slightly behind schedule.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by rogo
The lagging updates still seem to be plaguing mine but as there is some evidence of periodic catchup I've decided to just accelerate my plans from finishing around December 20 to finishing around December 1.

Currently right around $125, so slightly behind schedule.
just 249875 more to go!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
just 249875 more to go!
#facepalm
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Wouldn't be easier to fly discounted fare of partner flights in J, and get to $15K with a fraction of actual spend? MSing to get to $250K sounds like way too much work, plus earning just $1/mile of Skypeso no less.

Does AMEX shut down accounts of MS activities?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Wouldn't be easier to fly discounted fare of partner flights in J, and get to $15K with a fraction of actual spend? MSing to get to $250K sounds like way too much work, plus earning just $1/mile of Skypeso no less.

Does AMEX shut down accounts of MS activities?
None that I have seen. They will clawback signup bonuses if they see any MS done for it, otherwise they really do not seem to care as they are earning transactions fees on everything. Just look at all the high MSers that were doing tens of thousands on the SPG card.

Getting the 25K waiver is enough for me. I agree there is better ROI to be had by putting the $225k on other cards.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:33 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
MS for 250k gets about 90+90+70+70+30 = 350k miles for about 5000$ about 1.45cpm
Factor in card fees of 1300 at most = 6300 for 350k is still about 1.8cpm at most

Along with a whole lot of benefits for anyone flying Delta
Never worth it for the value of the miles, but often worth it for the value of status
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Diamond will probably make a bigger difference and provide tangible value for domestic flights, particularly if you plan to travel high traffic biz routes or those routes with Delta One. Beyond that, there really isn't that much of a difference in between Platinum and Diamond if you are traveling internationally as both offer C+ upgrades and lounge access, unless I am missing something. Ultimately, it comes down to what type of award and destination you are planning to go to as the sweet spot award deals vary by alliance.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Diamond will probably make a bigger difference and provide tangible value for domestic flights, particularly if you plan to travel high traffic biz routes or those routes with Delta One. Beyond that, there really isn't that much of a difference in between Platinum and Diamond if you are traveling internationally as both offer C+ upgrades and lounge access, unless I am missing something. Ultimately, it comes down to what type of award and destination you are planning to go to as the sweet spot award deals vary by alliance.
C+ isn't an upgrade.

What you're missing is GUCs (four) which are available as choice benefits for DM but not PM. DMs also earn more RDMs.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
C+ isn't an upgrade.

What you're missing is GUCs (four) which are available as choice benefits for DM but not PM. DMs also earn more RDMs.
GUCs are a bigger deal for some than others. For some, they’re a nice indulgence but don’t really save money because they wouldn’t pay for D1. For me, we pay for D1 so when we “strategically” choose to use our GUCs they really do save us a large sum.

For instance, I’m posting this from our hotel room in SYD. We would’ve paid ~$7000/pp (x2) for the flight from HSV>SYD in D1. I intentionally selected flights that appeared to have ample availability in D1, booking Y for ~$1800/pp. I called to apply the GUCs, and the outbound legs (except for the ATL>LAX leg, where some weird stuff happened) cleared quickly. The return legs look pretty good, so I’m reasonably optimistic.

That’s a very real cost savings for us of $10,000 that we can directly attribute to the GUC benefit that accompanies DM status.

We’re flying the miles and spending the money, so we’re happy to get *something* tangible out of the deal. Between my wife and myself we’ll spend ~$50-60K and accrue >300K MQMs, plus AMEX boosts.

It’s not D360 territory (bummer) but, properly used, GUCs have literally kept $10K in my bank account that wouldn’t otherwise be there.

That’s real value.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:18 pm

Hmm anyone else having issues starting this week with GC.com not posting towards MQD waiver??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.