FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Sea-NRT oversold today (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1910814-sea-nrt-oversold-today.html)

anbhc May 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Sea-NRT oversold today

looks like SEA-NRT was oversold today. I was almost goin to take this flight. Anyone hear what the volunteer offers were or did they just bump passengers to Delta One?

Often1 May 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by anbhc (Post 29786665)
looks like SEA-NRT was oversold today. I was almost goin to take this flight. Anyone hear what the volunteer offers were or did they just bump passengers to Delta One?

To D1?

Are you suggesting that the Y cabin was overbooked, but not D1? In that case, there would not be an oversale and DL would ordinarily offer operational upgrades to a few passengers. Actually offering VDB or forcing IDB would only occur if the aircraft is actually overbooked and more passengers show up for boarding, thus causing an oversale.

LondonElite May 23, 2018 1:17 pm

May I ask how you know that it is oversold?

HDQDD May 23, 2018 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by anbhc (Post 29786665)

Not sure why one oversold flight deserves a thread. There are hundreds (thousands?) every week... But yes, if there were seats in D1, they could conceivably upgrade some peeps. I've been the beneficiary of this a few times.

anbhc May 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Looks like all seats went out full, so wondering if they solicited volunteers

rubenswm May 23, 2018 1:45 pm

I'll guess they offered... $2,500

AntonS May 23, 2018 2:56 pm

There are many oversold flights every day. Why this is newsworthy or deserves a thread?

james318 May 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by AntonS (Post 29787153)
There are many oversold flights every day. Why this is newsworthy or deserves a thread?

Because the OP ALMOST took that flight. I ALMOST took Concorde once, but couldn't afford it when I was in my teens.

ATOBTTR May 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by james318 (Post 29787274)
Because the OP ALMOST took that flight. I ALMOST took Concorde once, but couldn't afford it when I was in my teens.

If OP had taken it, the flight would have been that much more oversold! :p

james318 May 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 29787285)
If OP had taken it, the flight would have been that much more oversold! :p

And then POSSIBLY worthy of a thread (which would possibly be moved to the comp thread.)

:)

SoroSuub1 May 23, 2018 3:53 pm

I thought upgrades on International flights are now a thing? E.g. it doesn't have to be operational but with the upgrade list etc.

Often1 May 23, 2018 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1 (Post 29787355)
I thought upgrades on International flights are now a thing? E.g. it doesn't have to be operational but with the upgrade list etc.

UG's on international have never been freebies other than as OpUps. UG's for the passenger's convenience are paid or supported by a certificate or miles. UG's for the carrier's convenience are free, although DL, just like AA & UA has wised up and tends to sell cheaper UG's when it needs to so that it doesn't get stuck with OpUp's.

But, more to the point, this is a thread about something we don't even know ocurred.

1. We don't know that it was overbooked.
2. We don't know that it was oversold.
3. We don't know that if too many for Y, that they weren't accommodated in D1, thus ending speculation about #1 and #2 .

Thus, we don't know that DL was ever in the position of offering a nickel.

LondonElite May 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Surely time to lock this one up?!

teriyaki May 24, 2018 11:05 am

Please don't call the OP Shirley.

SamOF May 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 29787685)
Surely time to lock this one up?!

This is an honest question, I promise: Why do you want this locked? I see this kind of thing on lots of threads that are mildly boring (rather than offensive) and I don't understand it at all.