Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No SkyMiles gesture for any delayed baggage on international flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No SkyMiles gesture for any delayed baggage on international flights?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Question No SkyMiles gesture for any delayed baggage on international flights?

I had a tight DL international connection in ATL that I barely made but my three checked bags did not. They were eventually delivered 36 hours later. I sent a concise, polite note to DL through their baggage web form asking for some SkyMiles for my inconvenience, but I got a form letter back saying, in part:

SkyMiles is [sic] available for customers who travel within domestic U.S. stations, including San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Since our records indicate your ticket included International travel you would not qualify for SkyMiles.
Please accept our apology for the unfavorable impression you received in this instance. We appreciate your selection of Delta and will always consider it a privilege to be of service.

On behalf of Air France, KLM and Delta Air Lines, we thank you for writing. We would like to offer our sincere apology for the difficulties you must have encountered when your luggage did not arrive with you on your trip.
I live in the city where I was traveling so I didn't have any reimbursable incidentals (which they asked about later in the letter). I just wanted a few thousand miles because I had to wait around for the clueless courier to drop off the late bags. Is this always the case? Should I have asked in a different way? (I'm a PM if that helps to know).
Old May 22, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
A little more info would be needed. What route? Who operated the flight? etc. My guess is the departing airport maybe wasnt ST? Or you were connecting from a non ST airline?
Old May 22, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Sure, it was DL from MSP-ATL-CDG and then AF (on DL codeshare) from CDG to my home city in the MENA region. The bags got stuck in ATL.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Bummer, since it was international, you don't get the 2,500 skypesos for luggage delayed to the carousel more than 20 minutes. However, given AF handled your last segment and is thus responsible for your luggage, do they offer some recompense?
Old May 22, 2018, 8:46 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by daloosh
Bummer, since it was international, you don't get the 2,500 skypesos for luggage delayed to the carousel more than 20 minutes. However, given AF handled your last segment and is thus responsible for your luggage, do they offer some recompense?
It kinda sounds like the rep was getting the 2,500 delayed bags program confused with the OPs request for compensation.

lamprey - Delta isn't responsible for any baggage issues as they were not the airline to deliver you to your final destination. I would suggest writing AF and asking for some form of compensation (maybe voucher?). AF handles all luggage claims, regardless of where the actually luggage mishandling took place.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
lamprey - Delta isn't responsible for any baggage issues as they were not the airline to deliver you to your final destination. I would suggest writing AF and asking for some form of compensation (maybe voucher?). AF handles all luggage claims, regardless of where the actually luggage mishandling took place.
I kind of already did. I live overseas but I technically have a US mailing address, so all AF claims go through that same DL baggage dept. (AF has no real presence where I live; they use a contractor at the airport here for baggage issues) Indeed, the mailing address DL gave me to submit reimbursable expense receipts is:
Air France Baggage Service
PO Box 20598
Department 989
Atlanta, GA 30320-2598

Is this an issue because it's AF's responsibility to compensate, and they have no way to account for that with SkyMiles? The bigger irony is that it's Delta's fault for my bag misconnection that caused the delay that AF is on the hook for.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:00 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lamprey
I kind of already did. I live overseas but I technically have a US mailing address, so all AF claims go through that same DL baggage dept. (AF has no real presence where I live; they use a contractor at the airport here for baggage issues) Indeed, the mailing address DL gave me to submit reimbursable expense receipts is:
Air France Baggage Service
PO Box 20598
Department 989
Atlanta, GA 30320-2598

Is this an issue because it's AF's responsibility to compensate, and they have no way to account for that with SkyMiles? The bigger irony is that it's Delta's fault for my bag misconnection that caused the delay that AF is on the hook for.
Ah, got it. I would maybe ask for compensation again (maybe via Twitter or the phone) and request a specific amount (5,000 miles or whatever) so there isn't confusion with the 2,500 mile program.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lamprey
The bigger irony is that it's Delta's fault for my bag misconnection that caused the delay that AF is on the hook for.
It's the industry convention, with over 200+ participating carriers. Surely a bag in-bound to Paris fails to make its way onto a DL flight bound for the USA from time to time.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton
I received 5,000 SM for a lost bag at ATL the other day. Similar situation, received it at my house the next day. My flights were all on Delta, but it was an international flight with pickup at the international baggage claim at ATL prior to a final domestic flight. I complained through the website and asked for SkyMiles as compensation for being without my things and getting stressed at the international baggage claim when I had a tight connection.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Old May 24, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Saribo
I received 5,000 SM for a lost bag at ATL the other day. Similar situation, received it at my house the next day. My flights were all on Delta, but it was an international flight with pickup at the international baggage claim at ATL prior to a final domestic flight. I complained through the website and asked for SkyMiles as compensation for being without my things and getting stressed at the international baggage claim when I had a tight connection.
Not an INTL flight but I got 5,000 miles back in March during a crazy IROPS re-routing. My bags for some reason were sitting in MDW all day (MDW wasn’t a part of my routing so no idea how or why my bag ended up there) and I didn’t get my bag for almost 24 hours. Agent on the phone said I would have received more compensation, if the delay wasn’t weather related.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: DL,EK
I used to live in Prague and would fly RNO-(SLC/ATL)-CDG-PRG 3 or 4 times a year. On at least 4 or 5 occasions, my bag was delayed in CDG for more than 24 hours. I never received any SKyMIles for the delays.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL GM
The way that e-mail is worded, I wonder if they misunderstood what you were asking so I would try to resubmit the request with a more specific request. Maybe CC the twitter account on it as well.

Just for reference, Delta gave me 30,000 SM because China Eastern mishandled my checked bag during a typhoon in Hong Kong last year so don't see why they wouldn't throw a few thousand SM your way. Admittedly, mine wasn't just a delay but China Eastern had literally left the bag outside, uncovered during the typhoon for over 6 hours so when it did finally arrive it was completely waterlogged. It was a Delta ticket connecting to a flight on Delta metal (after a 3 night stopover), but I was still stunned I got 30,000 SM for a partner's mistake.

I definitely think if you reword and resubmit your request, you should be able to get a few thousand customer relation miles. Just make it clear you're not looking for domestic 20 minute delayed bag compensation but rather just something for the inconvenience and if you got a reference number, CC it to DL's twitter account and they may be able to get the ball rolling quicker.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I’ve called to express my disappointment in DL service three times in the past 3 years. I was very kind and courteous to the agent and let them know that I wasn’t wroth with them personally, but just wanted to lodge a note of dissatisfaction. once was for their mishandling of my checked luggage.

I was brief, and each time, after a verbal apology, there were sounds of keystrokes with them raining 20,000-30,000 SkyPesos into my account.
Widgets likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Update: I sent a note to their Twitter team and within a few hours I got a follow-up email from the baggage team with an additional apology and 6,000 miles.

Originally Posted by TheHorta
I was brief, and each time, after a verbal apology, there were sounds of keystrokes with them raining 20,000-30,000 SkyPesos into my account.
I had a 12-day bag delay earlier this year and they gave me a $300 credit, which lines up with your 30k SkyMiles. It mostly made up for the 20 pound piece of pork shoulder and sausages in that bag that became fairly rancid during the delay. It's almost always the meat suitcases that get lost or delayed for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.