Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flights to Caribbean now First class and not "Business" Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to Caribbean now First class and not "Business" Class?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I don’t buy the (frequent) arguments that an ability to understand what you are buying is beyond the capabilities of most adults or that it requires spending large amounts of time on planes. It really isn’t that hard and most airlines do a decent job of informing you about what you are buying; even euro-J is pretty well explained.
It's not a lack of ability to understand, but rather lack of a point of reference. Several years ago, when I needed to fly somewhere I just picked a route and schedule I liked and booked it. I never thought about what type of airplane it was or which seats were the best. Nowadays I'll avoid certain routes because of the planes they fly, have my favorite seats on different types of plane, etc. in the same vein, most of us board the big planes, turn right at 2L, and never think about the seats up front. When someone does finally get that one chance to book business seats for their honeymoon and see "recliner seats" listed in the description, they're probably thinking it's like a lazy boy. If they looked at a few different options and compared the pictures I'm sure they would pick the lie flats, but they might have just picked the flights that best fit their schedule and assumed that since they were buying business class they were getting the best possible seat.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
First IS a higher class of service when you compare apples to apples/the same route and the same airline.

Domestic flights just don't have business because of their short duration. A 13 hour flight will have more classes of service just based on the greater passenger load and thus greater segmentation and willingness to pay for distinct levels of service.
Domestic do have business. However in N. America for some reason we call it First Class. One of the reasons AA changed to JCDIZ for domestic fare classes was to make this clear. Rest of the world the front cabin is called business on short haul flights.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
So do you still get lounge privileges if your fare class is now first instead of business for these overseas local routes?
Old May 21, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pbarnette

Surely, people (generally) aren’t so stupid that they can’t recognize business class to Tokyo may differ from business class to Montego Bay. Every airline has differing standards for business class (or first), depending upon the route - I mean, if you book business class CDG-TLV on AF, you are getting a coach seat, yet people seem to understand.

The whole transparency thing has always been a fabricated complaint.
Flew ATL-SJO recently. It's about a 4 hour flight.

Honeymooning couple in FC/J/whatever was incredulous that it looked just "like bigger coach seats" (equip was a 757). Sounds like they paid up for this special trip.

From hearing their conversation with the FA, it seems they had done their research and were expecting the 757 lie flats since it was an international business flight, and DL promises lie flats on all "long haul" international.

Moral of the story...anything an airline can reasonably do to reduce confusion, they should.
TheHorta likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it's completely out-of-touch to think that the flying public doesn't often get confused about first vs. business. "Delta One", "Economy Comfort" and "Premium Select" don't do much to help, as they're specific to the Delta world. No, it's not that difficult to understand the differences, but most normal people just don't put in that kind of effort. If you don't think this is true, you must not get out much.

It comes up in FT a lot also, how for nearly every foreign airline "First Class" is exclusively reserved for the premium long-haul widebody product. (I think one of the ME3 might be an exception on regional routes). So they laugh about US domestic first class, which is just the legacy term (we did invent commercial air travel...) from when there were only two classes of travel and there were no flat beds, nor even cradle seats.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
The fare search listings have been calling them "First" Class for several years now as they look at the actual fare basis codes, not the just fare booking class. .
I don't know about the Caribbean , but my DL operated flight LAX-MEX just a couple of months ago was listed as business when I purchased it, and it is not being sold as F. So that change was very recent.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
So do you still get lounge privileges if your fare class is now first instead of business for these overseas local routes?
You've never gotten lounge access on the Caribbean overseas routes. Mexico/ CANADA get access with DL, but that's route specific, not name of cabin.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yes, it's completely out-of-touch to think that the flying public doesn't often get confused about first vs. business. "Delta One", "Economy Comfort" and "Premium Select" don't do much to help, as they're specific to the Delta world. No, it's not that difficult to understand the differences, but most normal people just don't put in that kind of effort. If you don't think this is true, you must not get out much.
In my experience, those that don’t know, genuinely don’t care.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
It comes up in FT a lot also, how for nearly every foreign airline "First Class" is exclusively reserved for the premium long-haul widebody product. (I think one of the ME3 might be an exception on regional routes). So they laugh about US domestic first class, which is just the legacy term (we did invent commercial air travel...) from when there were only two classes of travel and there were no flat beds, nor even cradle seats.
Of course it comes up on FT. It is an excuse to whine and affect being smarter and/or more informed, which is primarily what FT is at this point. That is precisely what I find so tiring!

And even if it did, you’d still have variability. There is no standard for “first class” or “business class”. I mean, the gulf between euro-J and most international J is huge. Or compare F on SQ to BA, which is really J+. People are attaching arbitrary standards to names that simply aren’t followed.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
So one place where this change is big is pets in the cabin. (Under seat pets, not service animals)
DL doesn't allow pets in International Business or Delta One cabin and this used to apply to the Caribbean.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...l-options.html

I travel once a year to Turks and Caicos and I've been stopped by DL flying rescue dogs back in cabin only because I was in the front. If in coach, they are allowed. I've had the Medallion line confirm the pet booking and tell me it's ok only to have the airport staff deny the pet in cabin solely on how Delta codes the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.