Wiki Posts
Search

Short Flight MC Service

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Short Flight MC Service

I’ve very often flown ATL MCO and with about 400 miles, it’s not a very short flight. As I prefer seats in the back of the plane for best window view it sort of annoys me that the FAs on these flights never can get to me due to the short duration of the flight.

My partner (former KL FA) always tell me that the slowness of the DL FAs on these flights would never be accepted on KL.

What do you think?
Old May 20, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by NLNO
I’ve very often flown ATL MCO and with about 400 miles, it’s not a very short flight. As I prefer seats in the back of the plane for best window view it sort of annoys me that the FAs on these flights never can get to me due to the short duration of the flight.

My partner (former KL FA) always tell me that the slowness of the DL FAs on these flights would never be accepted on KL.

What do you think?
I think you need to sit closer to the front of the plane. @:-)
Old May 20, 2018, 6:38 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by justhere
I think you need to sit closer to the front of the plane determine which is more important to you. The view, or a coffee and a cookie. @:-)
justhere, sky303 and puck021 like this.
Old May 20, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
This "problem" gets worse in the summer time with the high incidence of heavy weather (thunderstorms) passing over the airports or route of travel limiting the inflight service for the safety of the FA's.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Serving water from a big bottle without ice is pretty quick and easy, but few Americans want that.
puck021 likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The KL comparison is silly.

Unless you can point to a specific problem with the service speed on your specific route and aircraft, it doesn't matter than some other carrier does on some other route.

The mileage and time in flight are largely irrelevant. What matters is the amount of time at level flight when cabin crew can safely conduct a service, collect service items and then prepare the cabin for arrival.

On your flights are you noticing the FA's dawdling?
Old May 20, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
I personally think the problem that the catering is too complex to complete the service.

While KL has a different service it does manage to serve a sandwich, soft drinks, coffee and tea, beer and wine to all passengers without having more staffing.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
I remember WN serving drinks plus refills between SEA and GEG and that's about 250 miles. It can be done.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold
I personally think the problem that the catering is too complex to complete the service.

While KL has a different service it does manage to serve a sandwich, soft drinks, coffee and tea, beer and wine to all passengers without having more staffing.
The DL FA's could probably reach the back of the plane if there was only one option for food and drink. I've flown ATL-MCO on DL several times in the last few years and from what I remember, there were still 2 or 3 drink options. Water, orange juice, and coffee? You'd be amazed at how long it takes some people to decide between the three. Similar story with snacks. I wouldn't assume it's the FA's that are slow, I'd question the options and indecisive passengers.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I think this is definitely part of the issue, especially for some of the relatively large aircraft DL flies on short routes. Some airlines don't give you choice of snack, which would be quicker, but would dimish our "freedom".

On TAP Portugal (ATR on a 1hr flight) I have seen seen one FA *quickly* give each person a sandwich and pastry (no choices, you either get it, or you don't) while the other FA starts drink service. Then, they both finish drinks. The entire thing takes <20 min on a 70 seat aircraft. It may also help to not order complicated drinks.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
I often try and connect through another airport, but obviously have taken MCO-ATL many times. Sitting in FC, or more likely C+, we always get service and usually get PFB in FC. Flight time is usually 61 minutes so there is time.

I have heard the FA announce that they don't have that much time for service, so please know ahead of time what you want. Again, this isn't an issue upfront, but I would guess that most people don't pay attention to the announcement; the same as any announcement.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by jb1012xna
The DL FA's could probably reach the back of the plane if there was only one option for food and drink. I've flown ATL-MCO on DL several times in the last few years and from what I remember, there were still 2 or 3 drink options. Water, orange juice, and coffee? You'd be amazed at how long it takes some people to decide between the three. Similar story with snacks. I wouldn't assume it's the FA's that are slow, I'd question the options and indecisive passengers.
Combine this with the fact that ATL->MCO is going to be a more leisure heavy route with people less familiar with the options and I agree you've got a bit more pressure than usual to get service done in the 20-25 minutes you have at altitude.

Still, I agree with the principle that if catering is consistently not making it to the end of the plane (i.e., it's not a one off due to turbulence) then they should simplify the catering service to make sure it gets completed at least 95% of the time.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I think it's because DL uses older, slower FAs than does KLM.

[I'm fishing for PVNs. I hear this bait works best.]
Old May 20, 2018, 12:49 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jb1012xna
Right, I would imagine everyone here has stood in a starbucks line for five minutes and had the person in front of you only start thinking about what they wanted to order the moment he/she actually got to the front of the line.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:57 pm

I too think it has to do with how long the flight attendants remain seated. Flight attendants on US carriers sometimes remain seated until the seatbelt sign is off. Of foreign carriers this might be the case too but that can be as soon as 5 minutes after take off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.