Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change - Will DL Re-accomodate on Other Airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER

Question for the experts here re: schedule change -

DL canceled their afternoon BOS-SFO nonstop. I'm booked in DL1, only option to stay DL1 is to connect at JFK (yuck, compared to a non-stop). Will DL be willing to put me on a UA non-stop from BOS?

Thanks!
Old May 14, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SvenB1414
Question for the experts here re: schedule change -

DL canceled their afternoon BOS-SFO nonstop. I'm booked in DL1, only option to stay DL1 is to connect at JFK (yuck, compared to a non-stop). Will DL be willing to put me on a UA non-stop from BOS?

Thanks!
No but they will give you a refund where you can go buy another ticket on UA.
CPMaverick and hi55us like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

That sucks - ticket is WAY more expensive now...Totally unheard of to do what I'm asking?
Old May 14, 2018, 1:58 pm

That sucks - ticket is WAY more expensive now...Totally unheard of to do what I'm asking?
When is your flight? Day of Departure they'd probably put you on UA. One or Two days, it's hypothetically possible, but probably only if you have PM/DM status, but if it's more than a week, it's basically 0.0%

The only time I've seen DL offline in advance like this would be if they stopped serving the station. Like if DL just stopped flying to SFO, then it would be possible.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
In advance, correct - it's not going to happen, at least for a non-DL partner. You would maybe have some luck in day-of IROPs but not for schedule changes in advance.

I realize it sucks since there may not be a lot of good options, but unfortunately your options are:
1) Another BOS-SFO nonstop (not sure if that'd be morning or evening)
2) Re-route via another DL hub (most likely JFK so you can still get D1)
3) Take a refund since your schedule change was almost certainly more than 90 minutes and rebook on another carrier.

As a note: you do not have to act right away. You could sit on the change for a while and see if the price of the UA nonstop comes down, and if it does, then take the refund from DL and book UA.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by kop84
When is your flight? Day of Departure they'd probably put you on UA. One or Two days, it's hypothetically possible, but probably only if you have PM/DM status, but if it's more than a week, it's basically 0.0%

The only time I've seen DL offline in advance like this would be if they stopped serving the station. Like if DL just stopped flying to SFO, then it would be possible.
As a FO, even day of departure probably wouldn't get you United.

When Delta stopped flying NRT-BKK, and we had award seats in J, they put us on ANA on a 787-9 which I felt was even better than what we originally had for that segment.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:16 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I doubt that they would rebook you on another airline when they are able to get you to your destination in the same class of service.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
As a FO, even day of departure probably wouldn't get you United.

When Delta stopped flying NRT-BKK, and we had award seats in J, they put us on ANA on a 787-9 which I felt was even better than what we originally had for that segment.
Customarily when an airline stops serving a station, a protection agreement is signed. Since all of DL's BKK traffic would have flowed through NRT, it would make sense to have the protection be on ANA.

DoD if it was a mechanical DL wouldn't have a lot of options for BOS/SFO. UA or AS. If I was in Y I wouldn't care that much, but I don't think anyone would say AS's F is equivalent to any of DL, UA, AA, or B6 service Transcon J.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kop84
Customarily when an airline stops serving a station, a protection agreement is signed. Since all of DL's BKK traffic would have flowed through NRT, it would make sense to have the protection be on ANA.

DoD if it was a mechanical DL wouldn't have a lot of options for BOS/SFO. UA or AS. If I was in Y I wouldn't care that much, but I don't think anyone would say AS's F is equivalent to any of DL, UA, AA, or B6 service Transcon J.
Depending on my schedule, if I couldn't be accommodated onto a UA flight with lie-flats around the same time, I would probably accept a rebook onto AS if it was on one of the former VX birds. While the seats are not quite "Lie-Flats", they are/were pretty comfortable and I would find it acceptable for a day-time flight at least, pending other options.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Depending on my schedule, if I couldn't be accommodated onto a UA flight with lie-flats around the same time, I would probably accept a rebook onto AS if it was on one of the former VX birds. While the seats are not quite "Lie-Flats", they are/were pretty comfortable and I would find it acceptable for a day-time flight at least, pending other options.
True, the legacy VX would at least be passable if you weren't counting on the flight to try to get some real sleep. But a legacy AS bird isn't in the same ballpark.

OP, why don't you check how much B6 Mint would be?
Old May 14, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Very, very, very, very, very unlikely when BOS-JFK-SFO (or BOS-LAX-SFO?) barely takes you out of your way. As others have suggested, your options are a refund or a re-route of your choosing on DL, and you can make that change anytime between now and departure. So might as well monitor the prices of BOS-SFO direct flights on your day in question and get a refund if it drops to a price point you're comfortable with.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveholt
Very, very, very, very, very unlikely when BOS-JFK-SFO (or BOS-LAX-SFO?) barely takes you out of your way.
Adding a stop via JFK is not "barely out of the way". Being rerouted from the nonstop to a connection via JFK adds more than 2 hours to the travel time in the best of circumstances just looking at itineraries. I punched in BOS-SFO for a random Monday (June 4). The two nonstop are 6 hr 33 min & 6 hr 45 min. The shortest BOS-JFK-SFO itinerary is 8 hr 50 min.

In OP's case, for the evening time, OP likely has (had) a departure around 5:20 pm and an arrival into SFO around 9:05 pm. For afternoon options via JFK, OP either has to depart BOS at 3:00 pm, take a 1 hr 45 min layover, and arrive at SFO at 10:15 PM (so well over 2 hours earlier for departure and still over an hour later for the arrival), or if OP needs the later departure, the 5:10 pm via JFK doesn't arrive in SFO until 12:32 AM (3.5 hours later than initially scheduled). Again, OP is bound by the rules of the COC, but I don't think one can just easily dismiss this as a minor inconvenience for the OP. Exact times may vary based on what the exact schedule was for the day OP was booked, but point being, that the stop via JFK isn't "barely out of the way".
cestmoi123 and FSUnole03 like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Adding a stop via JFK is not "barely out of the way".
Agreed. And that's why Delta will be happy to grant a refund instead of buying him a ticket on UA. The idea that one can take discounted J on carrier A and demand non-discounted J on carrier B just doesn't make business sense.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Quick update. I've made one call in so far and was unsuccessful. I did quote this section of the Contract of Carriage under rule 240 (pg 41 if anyone is interested):
"B. Delta’s Liability in the Event of Schedule Changes, Delays and Flight Cancellations

In the event of flight cancellation, diversion, delays of greater than 90 minutes, or delays that will cause a passenger to miss connections, Delta will (at passenger’s request) cancel the remaining ticket and refund the unused portion of the ticket and unused ancillary fees in the original form of payment in accordance with Rule 260 of these conditions of carriage. If the passenger does not request a refund and cancellation of the ticket, Delta will transport the passenger to the destination on Delta’s next flight on which seats are available in the class of service originally purchased. At Delta’s sole discretion and if acceptable to the passenger, Delta may arrange for the passenger to travel on another carrier or via ground transportation. If acceptable to the passenger, Delta will provide transportation in a lower class of service, in which case the passenger may be entitled to a partial refund. If space on the next available flight is available only in a higher class of service than purchased, Delta will transport the passenger on the flight, although Delta reserves the right to upgrade other passengers on the flight according to its upgrade priority policy to make space in the class of service originally purchased."

Obviously it says at their discretion, but it does state they will put you on another airline. Will try again later on and keep the group updated (I at least, find this interesting!).
Old May 14, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
Quick update. I've made one call in so far and was unsuccessful. I did quote this section of the Contract of Carriage under rule 240 (pg 41 if anyone is interested):
"B. Delta’s Liability in the Event of Schedule Changes, Delays and Flight Cancellations

In the event of flight cancellation, diversion, delays of greater than 90 minutes, or delays that will cause a passenger to miss connections, Delta will (at passenger’s request) cancel the remaining ticket and refund the unused portion of the ticket and unused ancillary fees in the original form of payment in accordance with Rule 260 of these conditions of carriage. If the passenger does not request a refund and cancellation of the ticket, Delta will transport the passenger to the destination on Delta’s next flight on which seats are available in the class of service originally purchased. At Delta’s sole discretion and if acceptable to the passenger, Delta may arrange for the passenger to travel on another carrier or via ground transportation. If acceptable to the passenger, Delta will provide transportation in a lower class of service, in which case the passenger may be entitled to a partial refund. If space on the next available flight is available only in a higher class of service than purchased, Delta will transport the passenger on the flight, although Delta reserves the right to upgrade other passengers on the flight according to its upgrade priority policy to make space in the class of service originally purchased."

Obviously it says at their discretion, but it does state they will put you on another airline. Will try again later on and keep the group updated (I at least, find this interesting!).
I think what you are referring to is a last minute problem (day of departure) Not something done much further in advance due to a schedule change. I can pretty much guarantee you won’t get them to protect you on another airline months in advance of the original departure (especially with no or low level status). Take the refund, learn a lesson.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.