Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles Bus Class Award Sale to SE Asia?

Old May 18, 18, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Ex, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Delta GM

Tonight I saw several DL Skymiles Awards priced lower than I have seen in months. From LAX, there were many options on KE, CZ or MU metal for 165,000-170,000 Skymiles Round Trip to SE Asia destinations, for business class.

Routes included LAX-BKK and LAX-SIN. Previously in the past few months, I had seen routes price out at 190,000 Skymiles, which are now available for 170,000. This appears to be a savings of 20,000 Skymiles on a RT award ticket.

Routes that were previously available for 175,000 Skymiles, now appear to be available for 165,000 Skymiles (with one DL leg for this pricing). This would appear to be a savings of 10,000 Skymiles.

There had been some rare award redemptions lately for 160,000 RT redemptions available, but only if DL was being utilized for at least one leg each way. I realize that business class saver Skymiles awards from LAX to SE Asia for160,000 RT were commonly available a little less than a year ago, however the past few months there were pricing increases.

Is the recent business class award pricing a sale, an error, or a more permanent reduction as part of Delta's goodwill?
Old May 18, 18, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta PM, AS MVP Gold 75K
Must be a sale going across the whole system. I constantly play with the bookings I currently have and right now LHR-JFK in October on VS is showing for 75K in J instead of 85K in J. (I was somehow able to get LIN-LHR-JFK on AZ/VS for 75K a while ago when LHR-JFK on VS by itself was 85K so I don't need to rebook the segment to save the miles thankfully).
Old May 18, 18, 11:02 am

Struggle to put 170k and "sale" in the same sentence but i guess everything is relative... DL really conditioned folks' expectations..
Old May 18, 18, 11:44 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Nothing really new here. 85K -- fare code CSMG850 -- is the "partner-over-ocean" rate and has a 21-day advance purchase requirement. 80K -- fare code CSV800 -- is DL low level rate for awards that involve DL metal flying over the ocean. The ocean segment here is the one over the Pacific from the US to Asia.

Last edited by LBJ; May 18, 18 at 11:50 am
Old May 18, 18, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Struggle to put 170k and "sale" in the same sentence but i guess everything is relative... DL really conditioned folks' expectations..
Assuming that each skymile is worth $.01 as Delta wants it to be, its like buying a J ticket for $1700RT. That's not too shabby.
gooselee likes this.
Old May 18, 18, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Nothing really new here. 85K -- fare code CSMG850 -- is the "partner-over-ocean" rate and has a 21-day advance purchase requirement. 80K -- fare code CSV800 -- is DL low level rate for awards that involve DL metal flying over the ocean. The ocean segment here is the one over the Pacific from the US to Asia.
Is that true for flights to BKK/SIN/etc? I thought flights to South Central Asia were slightly more than flights to Eastern Asia (Japan, China. Korea, etc.), with Low being "90K/95K" each way, not 80K/85K each way
Old May 18, 18, 12:27 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
Is that true for flights to BKK/SIN/etc? I thought flights to South Central Asia were slightly more than flights to Eastern Asia (Japan, China. Korea, etc.), with Low being "90K/95K" each way, not 80K/85K each way

No, the 80K/85K rates are also for South Central Asia and I found some availability on BKK/SIN searches.
Old May 18, 18, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

No, the 80K/85K rates are also for South Central Asia and I found some availability on BKK/SIN searches.
Interesting if this award pricing had been used recently before this week. I hadn't seen that since mid/late 2017 until now. Earlier I was seeing 95K one way for partner-only travel between LAX - BKK or SIN. Just this week, several of the itineraries appear at the 85K pricing for partner-only travel.
Old May 18, 18, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

LOL... So true. United partner awards to SE Asia require 180K miles roundtrip for business class so it could be worse. At least for United, Star Alliance has better partners to choose from for travel to SE Asia.
Old May 20, 18, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Is this information easily accessible? You always seem to have the pertinent details about fare codes!
Old May 20, 18, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
Is that true for flights to BKK/SIN/etc?
Look for origin and destination airports that are served by Delta metal (with a max of four segments). Advanced search, Delta One, Delta flights only.

Select a date. Select an itin. Look at Fare Rules under the big blue Terms and Conditions box at the bottom of the purchase page.

SEA to SIN
FARE CODE - CSV800

I wouldn't say there's a lot of availability.... but LBJ's understanding of award fare codes and pricing is comprehensive.

Last edited by 3Cforme; May 20, 18 at 7:40 am
Old May 20, 18, 12:35 pm

Programs: DM, Marriott Life Platinum
Well... I'd gladly cough-up 170K miles for, but it looks like DL wants another 600K if I want to use miles. YIKES!

Krikey!
Old May 20, 18, 1:19 pm

I was wrong and you were right. I just checked a LAX-BKK routing and on KE via ICN it's 85K. Could have sworn last year when I was looking at a possible itinerary to BKK I was seeing 95K redemptions (it seemed to stick out because it was the same amount of miles I needed for a J redemption to BNE on VA that I booked about two years ago and flew last year) but perhaps I'm not remembering correctly

Always interesting how the different airlines do it. UA charges a higher rate for routes deeper into Asia such as BKK (90K) than the Far East cities like PVG (80K) while for other routes, UA requires less. I recently just had a PVG-AMS-FCO (SE Asia to Europe) that was 80K through DL miles that I canceled and then booked an LH option with UA miles for 75K in J.