Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Nonstop LAX-ORD (or any airport in LA and Chicago)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Nonstop LAX-ORD (or any airport in LA and Chicago)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kop84
Except the distance to ORD is double the distance to DEN from LAX. Plus DEN is woefully under served T-PAC so several possible DEN/LAX/TPAC connections are doable. Other than SYD, I don't think DL serves anywhere from LAX that isn't available non-stop from ORD. And in DEN you're only fighting UA and sort of F9. In ORD you're fighting UA and AA and AS plus WN at MDW.

So for DL LAX/ORD would all be O/D. And on the ORD end, they have virtually no FF base, and the LAX end it's so fractured that it would be tough to fill those flights profitably. Especially since I checked on Expedia and you can get a flight from LAX to ORD leaving Monday the 21st and returning the 22 for $206 on AA. There isn't a lot of room to lower fares to get any market share on that route.

I have to believe that DL has given this route strong consideration but just can't make the numbers work. It's not like this is some obscure city pair that would have a ton of demand but no one has thought it up or is brave enough to try.
If DL were to fly this route, it could provide feed to partner TPAC flights, but some of the same routes would be available as connections through SEA, such as the KE LAX-ICN flight.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
um, no

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If DL were to fly this route, it could provide feed to partner TPAC flights, but some of the same routes would be available as connections through SEA, such as the KE LAX-ICN flight.
First off, most of DL's partners already fly nonstop TPAC from ORD so why would they want to dilute their revenue and share the prorate with DL for the ORDLAX leg? And why would someone wanting to go to ICN go via LAX vs. nonstop on KE to begin with?

Second, anything DL could pick up on their own metal ex-LAX would be pure garbage fares given the plethora of nonstops offered from ORD on a multitude of carriers, leaving only bottom-feeders to connect via LAX

Lastly, LAX (except to SYD obviously is considerably out of the way between Chicago and Asia and as such, drives much longer elapsed times - further driving down yields.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
How much gate space does Delta have at ORD? If they fully utilize their ORD gates, they may not have enough room to fly LAX-ORD.

I'm not sure competition discourages Delta from flying LAX-ORD. Delta has no qualms about competing - they fly highly competitive routes like LAX-SFO,LAX-PHX,LAX-LAS, and LAX-DEN.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
As much as I enjoy flying DL, ORD-LAX is one of those routes where I just suck it up and fly AA. DL isn't even competitive on price with ORD-SLC-LAX, which is annoying because the morning ORD-SLC is a reasonably feasible upgrade for a Plat, which I'll be again by September.

I think DL would be more likely to start RDU-ORD than LAX-ORD, as they could fly it with a CR9 and get away with 2x/day aimed at RDU originating traffic and just flying it on non-holiday weekdays. RDU-CHI has a relatively high cost (it's generally $280+ RT on any of AA/UA/WN if there is not a sale going on) and ORD sees a lot of CR9s anyway.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Just curious, why focus on ORD-LAX for lack of Delta nonstops? The five largest cities in the US are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, and Philadelphia. Delta doesn't have nonstops between LAX and Chicago, Houston, or Philadelphia, nor for that matter among any of these four in any combination.

Hub-and-spoke philosophy precludes non-hub large cities being interconnected nonstop.
CPMaverick and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ExArkie
Just curious, why focus on ORD-LAX for lack of Delta nonstops? The five largest cities in the US are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, and Philadelphia. Delta doesn't have nonstops between LAX and Chicago, Houston, or Philadelphia, nor for that matter among any of these four in any combination.

Hub-and-spoke philosophy precludes non-hub large cities being interconnected nonstop.
PHL is actually the 8th largest metro area in the US though your overall point is still valid in that from LAX, DL only serves 2 of the other 4 of the Top 5 metro areas from LAX (NYC and DFW). DL does serve DCA (6th largest metro area) and seasonal service to MIA (#7). But as you point out, every airline doesn't have to serve every city pair and every airline is not going to serve every market. For example AA doesn't serve NYC-Houston (#1 to #5 ) while DL does have service on IAH-LGA.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
UA is the biggest airline in Chicago and IIRC AA is in LA. So, why would DL fly a plane between two cities where they will get killed by the competition?
Interestingly while AA handles the most pax in LAX, DL is a close second (15.9M/18.8% vs 14.0M/16.6% in 2017; UA is third at 11.9M/14.2%). While I agree with the general sentiment of there already being enough competition in the LA-CHI market, I think there is an interesting discussion about the overall portfolio DL needs to maintain at LAX to stay at or near the top of the pack.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:26 pm

Another thing to consider, LAX-DEN is operated 4x daily with 717, which have the cheapest cost for flight crew and fuel of mainline aircraft. Delta also has a significant 717 operation at LAX so the plane is not just flying between LAX & DEN. Unfortunately, the 717 does not have the range to do LAX-ORD. The cheapest workable option would probably be an A319, but the question is how to fit in? Looking at current schedules, the one option I see is DL2434 LAX-BNA-LAX aircraft. Since the aircraft's next flight is usually one of the redeyes after 10 PM, Delta could do a 6/6:30 PM ORD departure and still have the aircraft in LAX in enough time or make it slightly earlier so you can, at least have Sydney and San Diego connections though it would mostly be O&D traffic.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ExArkie

DL is struggling with gate capacity at ORD. This is part of the reason why they are agreeable to the move to T5 with the ORD modernization project. That said, DL is also gate constrained at LAX. Why use a gate for a flight where you are competing against two legacy carriers and two bottom feeders when you can use that space at LAX to fly where others do not and generate larger margins? Does not make sense. I much as I want an ORD-LAX on DL I am not holding my breath.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:34 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, it's annoying. MDW-LAX would be awesome since I avoid ORD when I go.

It's a similar issue HOU-LAX, #4 (soon to be #3 ) to #2 . I have to go usually LAX-MSP-IAH (which is ok since I get to stopover and have breakfast/dinner with frineds) but not ideal and particularly annoying.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by nystateofmind
Another thing to consider, LAX-DEN is operated 4x daily with 717, which have the cheapest cost for flight crew and fuel of mainline aircraft. Delta also has a significant 717 operation at LAX so the plane is not just flying between LAX & DEN. Unfortunately, the 717 does not have the range to do LAX-ORD. The cheapest workable option would probably be an A319, but the question is how to fit in? Looking at current schedules, the one option I see is DL2434 LAX-BNA-LAX aircraft. Since the aircraft's next flight is usually one of the redeyes after 10 PM, Delta could do a 6/6:30 PM ORD departure and still have the aircraft in LAX in enough time or make it slightly earlier so you can, at least have Sydney and San Diego connections though it would mostly be O&D traffic.
The issue is ORD has flights to virtually everywhere LAX (much less just the DL routes from LAX) does except some of the small California cities and Australia. NZ is even starting ORD/AUK in November.

Any traffic DL would get ORD/LAX is going to be low margin as with so many flights fares are dirt cheap, or even lower margin connection traffic.

It would be great if DL had that route, but it's not like they haven't thought about it. It's not some obscure city pair that no one's had the guts to try...they obviously feel they can't make the economics work...so unless AA or UA implodes and decides to drop the route, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
I don't think 1x Daily on LAX-ORD/ORD-LAX isn't going to cut it for DL. As you mention it would support the SYD and other Australia connections to VA but that's about it. It wouldn't support much else. To have any appeal to business travelers, DL is going to need at least 3-4x daily, if not 5x to have even a glimmer of hope of getting any corporate contracts and consistent business traffic based on schedule options. Now DL does have more aircraft coming online, including more 737-900s and the C-Series (though I think there might be route limitation agreements between DL and Bombardier though DL could still shuffle aircraft around) and with that, they may then consider ORD-LAX but I still wouldn't be shocked if they elect not to enter that bloodbath even then.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
From what I’ve heard, DL really wants to do more at ORD, but can’t get the necessary gate space. UA has shoved them into the end of E, and isn’t willing to give up any additional gates in that terminal.
Apparently DL will be moving operations to T5 soon, which should mean additional gate space.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Now DL does have more aircraft coming online, including more 737-900s and the C-Series (though I think there might be route limitation agreements between DL and Bombardier though DL could still shuffle aircraft around) and with that, they may then consider ORD-LAX but I still wouldn't be shocked if they elect not to enter that bloodbath even then.
nystateofmind does make relevant points about frequency, and range of 717. Delta would need a 319, 737-700, or CS100 among its smallest aircraft with adequate range for CHI-LAX. (IIRC, Delta's range limitations on CS100 use are averaged - they don't have a max flight length.)
Old May 18, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
If I was Delta, I might try another SoCal airport to ORD to distinguish themselves....probably SNA, although I personally much prefer LGB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.