Delta vs Air France

Old May 16, 18, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Delta vs Air France

My family is considering a trip to Paris in August. Two Adults and one three year old child.

We noticed there are two business class options from Atlanta nonstop to Paris. One on Air France that flies a 777-300ER. The second option being Delta about a 767-400ER. We will be booking business class tickets.

Curious to know which option is better. Our family is pretty good fliers although we have never flown 9 hours straight.

Thanks.
Old May 16, 18, 6:51 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Chick-fil-A Red
AF has 2 business layouts for their 777 - one is 2/3/2 with angle flat seats and the other is 1/2/1 reverse herringbone. In terms of comfort for me it would be AF 777 with 1/2/1 layout > DL 767-400 >>> AF 777 with 2/3/2 layout.

With the very young child you might prefer the 767 though because there's less separation between the middle seats. (Child and one parent in the same middle seat row.) Note the seats in a given row don't necessarily line up so for example you might want 5A (parent) 4B (child) and 4C (parent).
Old May 16, 18, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by redraiderkcc View Post
My family is considering a trip to Paris in August. Two Adults and one three year old child.

We noticed there are two business class options from Atlanta nonstop to Paris. One on Air France that flies a 777-300ER. The second option being Delta about a 767-400ER. We will be booking business class tickets.

Curious to know which option is better. Our family is pretty good fliers although we have never flown 9 hours straight.

Thanks.
I think the AF option is better in every aspect except for the fact that the seat layout isn't ideal for a 3 year old (seats are angled and hard to see one another). If your toddler is as squirmy as mine, I would book the 767 just so you can sit closer together as suggested above.
Old May 16, 18, 8:06 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, DL PLT,SPG, Priority Pass, Accor LeClub Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Other shiny cards
It depends on the equipment. I believe AF has the old business class seats on this route in August. I would choose the DL flight, unless you want to have the 3 year old in the middle seat and the two adults on each side.
Old May 16, 18, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree with most comments above.

If full-flat beds are not critical, then the best "family arrangement" will be the three center seats on the 77W with the old angled-flats in 2-3-2 configuration.

If flat beds are important, I probably would recommend the 764, with a window and two center seats, and the child can sit next to one parent and across the aisle from the other.

Of course the best seating for adults is on the 1-2-1 newer AF product, but seating is more private and could prove problematic for a small child who will be relatively isolated (visually and physically) from his/her parents. If this were the only option, I'd probably recommend either (1) child in window, one parent across aisle, one parent in front of or behind child, or (2) window-center-center straight across, as parent-child-parent.
Old May 16, 18, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM MM - IHG Spire
Regardless of which flight/operating carrier the OP selects, he/she might want to book with DL flight numbers. Assuming the OP is in the US, both DL and AF coded flights would be ticketed by DL (have a 006 ticket number). But having DL flight numbers makes the OP a DL pax, not an AF pax. This could be important in case rebooking is required because of (all too frequent) AF union disruptions.
Old May 16, 18, 8:36 am
formerly B7e7US

Programs: AA PLT, DL PLT,SPG, Priority Pass, Accor LeClub Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Other shiny cards
Originally Posted by ecaarch View Post
Regardless of which flight/operating carrier the OP selects, he/she might want to book with DL flight numbers. Assuming the OP is in the US, both DL and AF coded flights would be ticketed by DL (have a 006 ticket number). But having DL flight numbers makes the OP a DL pax, not an AF pax. This could be important in case rebooking is required because of (all too frequent) AF union disruptions.
One dispute every 2 years doesn't make them "too frequent". Been based in Paris for the last 7 years and from what I can remember, I've had more flight disruptions with DL due to the weather in NY or DC than the disruptions on AF flights due to strikes.
Old May 16, 18, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
One dispute every 2 years doesn't make them "too frequent".
Are you kidding? There have been at least five strikes already this year. Air France Strike Sees 30% of Flights Cancelled

I would avoid AF until the labor issues are resolved, and that could take a while.
Old May 16, 18, 9:29 am
formerly B7e7US

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Are you kidding? There have been at least five strikes already this year. Air France Strike Sees 30% of Flights Cancelled

I would avoid AF until the labor issues are resolved, and that could take a while.
One strike affecting multiple days of travel, to be more precise. So what? How many stranded / disrupted passengers? I am not an AF apologist, and I take every single opportunity to complain about how bad AF service is. However, in the last 5 years, the only strike that caused a real impact was the pilot strike. The rest had very minimal impact.
Old May 16, 18, 9:35 am

While I can (and have) complained about DL service (FA's) I can say its conservatively 50/50 you will get a bad crew on a DL flight. It is about a 99/1 chance you will get a bad crew on AF. I have NEVER had a crew on AF be anything but crabby and basically miserable that they are at work.....
Old May 16, 18, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
One strike affecting multiple days of travel, to be more precise. So what? How many stranded / disrupted passengers? I am not an AF apologist, and I take every single opportunity to complain about how bad AF service is. However, in the last 5 years, the only strike that caused a real impact was the pilot strike. The rest had very minimal impact.
"Minimal impact"? What are you smoking? As of May 7, 14 days of walkouts this year, each resulting in cancels of up to 35% of flights. The CEO resigned and the airline is in crisis. Air France Strike: Concerns about its future raised by government
Old May 16, 18, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ecaarch View Post
on the other hand, there can be significant frequent flyer earning benefits to taking the AF flight number, for DL earners.
Old May 16, 18, 10:25 am
formerly B7e7US

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
"Minimal impact"? What are you smoking? As of May 7, 14 days of walkouts this year, each resulting in cancels of up to 35% of flights. The CEO resigned and the airline is in crisis. Air France Strike: Concerns about its future raised by government
I do not smoke, and I write based on facts and not on what US media portrays.
14 days of walkouts and up to 35% flights cancelled. Again... How many passengers had issues trying to reach their destinations within an acceptable period of time?

Yes, the airline is in crisis, the CEO resigned, but that doesn't mean AF has frequent strikes so frequent that people should avoid it, which was my original point.

Weather vs. operational disruptions should never be compared, but again, I had more issues trying to leave the DC area between January and March (while Jetblue and AA planes were operating with less disruptions) than in 7 years being an AF captive.
Old May 16, 18, 11:31 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, DL Diamond 1MM, Marriott/Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
While I can (and have) complained about DL service (FA's) I can say its conservatively 50/50 you will get a bad crew on a DL flight. It is about a 99/1 chance you will get a bad crew on AF. I have NEVER had a crew on AF be anything but crabby and basically miserable that they are at work.....
Iím sorry this has been your experience! I donít doubt it, but Iíve had flight after flight with amazing cabin crew on AF - they always go above and beyond. Itís a more restrained and less gregarious service - as youíd expect from the cultural differences between the US and France - but itís always been executed very well and special requests seem to be granted with a smile.

Now AF ground staff - thatís a totally different story, especially in CDG. But CDG is always so chaotic, I donít necessarily blame them for being a little cranky at work :P
Old May 16, 18, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG plat, Amex Plat, Marriott, Avis Preferred
Hi OP: First of all, go to Paris! Such a great city! Personally if you are flying out of ATL I would just book on Delta. If there are any issues you will have more options and better help for the most important flight: the one that gets you to your vacation.

And, since we're talking about France, I also highly recommend, if time permits, that you get out of Paris and into some of the smaller French towns, which are just heaven. During our honeymoon we took the train from Paris (I think it was about 5 hours?) down to a quaint village in French Basque country, called St Jean De Luz. It was relaxing, with great food, lovely beaches and a really different vibe from Paris. We stayed at a fairly basic little inn for 2 nights called La Marisa, where they serve you the most perfect breakfast in a perfect garden.If you book train tickets book in advance and first class is not that expensive. Enjoy!

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: