New Service BOS-PHL

Old May 14, 18, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
New Service BOS-PHL

https://news.delta.com/nonstop-delta...a-coming-oct-1
Delta Air Lines, Boston's No. 1 global carrier, is adding another top destination to its growing nonstop options from Logan International Airport, with new daily nonstop service to Philadelphia, beginning Oct. 1.

"Philadelphia is a Top 10 destination for Bostonians, and we are pleased to offer customers this new service to Delta's growing portfolio of nonstop flights at Logan International Airport," said Joe Esposito, Vice President — Network Planning - Americas. "This schedule provides convenient trip options and amenities, with departures in popular morning and evening time channels and First Class seating on every flight."

The service will be flown four times daily on CRJ-900 aircraft operated by Delta Connection carrier Endeavor Air on the following schedule:

Boston Logan International Airport – Philadelphia International Airport
BOS at 6:45 a.m.PHL at 8:23 a.m.
BOS at 11:05 a.m.PHL at 12:49 p.m.
BOS at 1:50 p.m.PHL at 3:41 p.m.
BOS at 6:35 p.m.PHL at 8:10 p.m.
Philadelphia International Airport – Boston Logan International Airport
PHL at 9:00 a.m.BOS at 10:30 a.m.
PHL at 1:25 p.m.BOS at 2:53 p.m.
PHL at 4:20 p.m.BOS at 5:54 p.m.
PHL at 8:45 p.m.BOS at 10:29 p.m.
Old May 14, 18, 1:11 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Interestingly, they are removing PHL-JFK from the schedule.
Old May 14, 18, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by TTT View Post
Interestingly, they are removing PHL-JFK from the schedule.
JFK/PHL would seem to takes up a valuable slot at JFK for a ~90NM flight. And with AA moving several TATL flights to PHL, the willingness to fly PHL/JFK/TATL has got to be at an all time low.

PHL/BOS is probably a much more attractive O/D flight.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old May 14, 18, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Good schedule and frequency for the route too. Hope it is successful
Old May 14, 18, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kop84 View Post
It's another poke at JetBlue on a business route out of BOS.
Old May 14, 18, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The JFK service was solely to sell onward connections to DL's network at JFK. This creates some sense for a hop worth flying.
Old May 14, 18, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
JFK/PHL would seem to takes up a valuable slot at JFK for a ~90NM flight. And with AA moving several TATL flights to PHL, the willingness to fly PHL/JFK/TATL has got to be at an all time low.

I assume there all PHL-JFK was connections. Unless your origin and destination were right next to the airports, there is no reason to fly this. It's much quicker and easier to take the train.
Old May 14, 18, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I'm really surprised with the 4x daily frequency, really seems geared for O&D travel, connections to CDG/AMS leave Boston around 6:00 which would mean a ~3hr layover on the afternoon flight.
Old May 14, 18, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Would imagine it's tough to convince PHL flyers to connect in JFK on DL to Europe when they can fly direct on AA.
Old May 14, 18, 3:09 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a fair point. The surprise is that DL has eliminated all possibilities for international connections via JFK. I am sure there are some markets where DL only flies from JFK and where AA never will from PHL (ACC comes to mind?).

But you're right, for the majority of passengers a JFK connection from PHL just doesn't make much sense.
Old May 14, 18, 3:11 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
I assume there all PHL-JFK was connections. Unless your origin and destination were right next to the airports, there is no reason to fly this. It's much quicker and easier to take the train.
Funnily enough, the only time I have ever flow JFK-PHL was on a connection from BOS.

The only other instance I could see flying to be a little more convenient would be if you were renting a car from PHL and driving somewhere further afield.
Old May 14, 18, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton Gold, PriorityPass

Also, Delta just ended PHL-LHR service so now there's no need to send a lie-flat 757 JFK-PHL as a repositioning for PHL-LHR
Old May 14, 18, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
But you're right, for the majority of passengers a JFK connection from PHL just doesn't make much sense.
I believe I counted 24 Delta TATL destinations (some seasonal) from Delta's interactive route map. AA doesn't match that from PHL. It offers ~17. (And DL only offers six from BOS.) Maybe DL just wasn't attracting premium TATL traffic in spite of destination coverage. Hey, PHL travelers could be using LHR.
Old May 14, 18, 4:55 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
I believe I counted 24 Delta TATL destinations (some seasonal) from Delta's interactive route map. AA doesn't match that from PHL. It offers ~17. (And DL only offers six from BOS.) Maybe DL just wasn't attracting premium TATL traffic in spite of destination coverage. Hey, PHL travelers could be using LHR.
Of those 24, how many were JFK only? I doubt many would be willing to double connect either PHL-DTW/ATL-JFK-XXX or PHL-BOS-AMS/CDG-XXX. You're probably right about the lack of premium traffic.
Old May 14, 18, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
DL tried this route on CR2s back in the 2008-2010-ish timeframe. Some of the flights had 6 people on them. Hopefully it's more successful this time, but I'm not betting money on it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: