Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should I cancel or downgrade delta reserve Amex?

Old May 13, 18, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

Iíve had the card now for several years, but based on the changes to the SM program (no more reasonable waiver for DM), I see a lot less value in continuing to pay for the card.
My $450 annual fee just posted... I have ~24k spend atm. If I downgrade to the plat card, will I hit the 25k waiver (and get the plat mqm boost) when I spend ~$1k more to hit $25k? Or do those reset when you downgrade? I assume Iíd get the full fee refunded?

Would I lose my companion cert if I downgrade? Anything else I need to think about?
Old May 13, 18, 4:05 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you downgrade, the fee is refunded on a pro-rated basis.

So, there isn't too much harm in waiting to hit the $25k threshold, then downgrade.

I don't see much value in the reserve card if you will maintain DM. Of course, I even canceled my DL Plat Amex because the Skymiles have become so devalued.
JesseRohr likes this.
Old May 13, 18, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but while we're on the topic of potentially canceling a DL Amex Reserve - has anyone called in to cancel and been offered a waiver of the annual fee to stay?
Old May 13, 18, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FSUnole03 View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but while we're on the topic of potentially canceling a DL Amex Reserve - has anyone called in to cancel and been offered a waiver of the annual fee to stay?

I don't think that Amex ever waives AF for anything including a retention bonus. Generally they will offer you extra miles/MR points or maybe a statement credit, if they offer you anything at all.
Old May 13, 18, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by appleguru View Post
I’ve had the card now for several years, but based on the changes to the SM program (no more reasonable waiver for DM), I see a lot less value in continuing to pay for the card.
My $450 annual fee just posted... I have ~24k spend atm. If I downgrade to the plat card, will I hit the 25k waiver (and get the plat mqm boost) when I spend ~$1k more to hit $25k? Or do those reset when you downgrade? I assume I’d get the full fee refunded?

Would I lose my companion cert if I downgrade? Anything else I need to think about?
1. 25k waiver is aggregated across eligible DL-branded AMEX products so that shouldn't be an issue.

2. They may read you language about losing the cert but the data points I have seen suggest that once you receive a cert it stays in your account and remains bookable using any AMEX card (not just DL-branded). If you can time it so you get a Reserve cert before you downgrade then that's obviously much better

3. Partial spend towards a boost carries over.

Related threads:

Upgrading Mid Year to the Delta Reserve Card - Will My Existing Spending Carry Over?

Holding DL AMEX Reserve still worth it for DMs?
Old May 13, 18, 5:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, AS 75k, DL Diamond and 1MM
Go ahead and dowgrade

My $450 annual fee just posted... I have ~24k spend atm. If I downgrade to the plat card, will I hit the 25k waiver (and get the plat mqm boost) when I spend ~$1k more to hit $25k?

I assume Iíd get the full fee refunded?

I dunno. You can call Amex and ask. If you spend another $1,000 on another Delta Amex card (Gold or Platinum), it will count for the minimum MQD waiver for ff status on Delta (but not at the Diamond level anymore).

Fee prorates. But if it just posted, you should be able to get all it refunded. Especially, if you haven't used the card since the annual fee posted.

If your companion cert has arrived in your Delta account, then it won't be clawed back. If the bonus miles and companion cert have not posted to your Delta account, then I'd be very cautious about downgrading until they do.
Old May 13, 18, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
I don't think that Amex ever waives AF for anything including a retention bonus. Generally they will offer you extra miles/MR points or maybe a statement credit, if they offer you anything at all.
Called to cancel my Delta platinum last December since I have reserve and really donít need both. They waived AF.
Xelodia likes this.
Old May 13, 18, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12 View Post

Called to cancel my Delta platinum last December since I have reserve and really donít need both. They waived AF.
Cool, I stand corrected.
Old May 13, 18, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the OP's case, I'd be tempted to keep the Reserve card until $30,000 spend to get the 15,000 MQMs for rollover (or to gift) and 15,000 RDMs.
arunhn, bsagator and Saj8986 like this.
Old May 13, 18, 7:40 pm

I called to cancel my Reserve but they waived $400 of the $450 annual fee (or offered me a choice of 40,000 SM) to keep the account open.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; May 14, 18 at 7:43 am
Old May 14, 18, 6:39 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Everyoneís situation is different, but for me the Reserve is a no-brainer for the companion certificate and Skyclub access (thus preserving one of my three DM choice benefits).
jaimemayo likes this.
Old May 14, 18, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
I’ve had the card now for several years, but based on the changes to the SM program (no more reasonable waiver for DM), I see a lot less value in continuing to pay for the card.
My $450 annual fee just posted... I have ~24k spend atm. If I downgrade to the plat card, will I hit the 25k waiver (and get the plat mqm boost) when I spend ~$1k more to hit $25k? Or do those reset when you downgrade? I assume I’d get the full fee refunded?

First off, Amex reps will tell you much different info - ignore them.

1) Only downgrade (or upgrade) to any Amex card after you have had the new card bonus for THAT specific card (all big 6 of the Delta cards are unique products).
2) Amex will, if you ask, wave most of the fee or give you bonus SkyMiles offset vs cancel. At least once or even more when they or Delta makes negative card impacting changes.
3) Tho BOGO cert sticks even if you cancel and you have one year to spend/fly it. Pay with ANY (and anyones) Amex card (Delta or non-Delta). It dumps in when fee bills
4) Careful with pro-rated credits. New "official" Amex rule is 30 days to get fee back. YMMV after 30 days.
5) Many play upgrade/downgrade game each year (keeping point 1 in mind). I.E. spend for max MQM bonus, wait one full billing cycle, then UG/DG and spend for new MQM bonus level. Next year, rinse and repeat.
6) If you do the above with both personal and business Delta Amex cards you can always have 1x Reserve card and 1x Platinum card at any given time and get at least 1x first class and 1x coach BOGO each year.
7) As mentioned by other 25k Amex card spend upgrade tie-breaker is across all cards.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 14, 18, 8:59 am

Would anyone in this thread suggest having both the Amex plat card (unbranded) and the DL Amex reserve? Does the companion cert justify a second AF that is that high? Currently have the Amex delta plat + amex plat, but have thought about upgrading. Spouse currently uses the SPG card, but not sure what the future will be there, so we are in search of a new strategy.
Old May 14, 18, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I called a couple of years ago to cancel one of my two AMEX cards and they immediately offered to waive the fee for a year because as soon as I cancelled I would lose the companion certificate that was still open.

The cert will still be valid until the end of your billing cycle when you do cancel.
Old May 14, 18, 3:50 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I don't know if this is how it works and is a well-known benefit, but my wife is also on my Delta Reserve Amex and she is able to access SCs with her card, without me being present or flying companion.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: