Lounge access question

Old May 13, 18, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Lounge access question

Flying first class from Calgary to Reagan with a 2 hr stop in Minneapolis.......no status with Delta. If I understand it right, I have free access to the lounge in MSY since my trip starts in Canada.....am I right?
Old May 13, 18, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pjack View Post
Flying first class from Calgary to Reagan with a 2 hr stop in Minneapolis.......no status with Delta. If I understand it right, I have free access to the lounge in MSY since my trip starts in Canada.....am I right?
Yes. They'll also let you in at DCA if need to wait a bit.
Old May 13, 18, 1:26 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
MSY no.

MSP yes.

Old May 13, 18, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.1MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
MSY no.

MSP yes.

Better food at the MSY club.
Old Jul 1, 18, 12:18 pm
Community Director

My husband is flying F from SAN-JFK-STI (Dominican Republic). He has no Delta status. Does he get lounge access? If not, and he buys a pass, does it allow him to access both the lounges in SAN and JFK on the same day?
Old Jul 1, 18, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
My husband is flying F from SAN-JFK-STI (Dominican Republic). He has no Delta status. Does he get lounge access? If not, and he buys a pass, does it allow him to access both the lounges in SAN and JFK on the same day?
Answer to the first question readily available here:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-of-terms.html

Answer to the second question readily available here:
https://www.delta.com/skyclub/purcha...Request.action

The answer to both questions is no.
Old Jul 1, 18, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Unfortunately for your husband, travel to the Caribbean is excluded from the lounge access that comes with most international premium class (F and D1) travel on Delta.
Old Jul 1, 18, 4:17 pm
Community Director

I found 2017 discussion of lounge access being allowed on transcon first class flights including SAN-JFK. Is that no longer the case?

I also found that since he has a Delta credit card, he can buy a discounted lounge entry. There are also Priority Club lounges in both JFK Terminal 4 and STI. He is a Priority Club member, so that is a fallback.
Old Jul 1, 18, 4:26 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
What thread are you referring to? DL has limited lounge access to trans-con D1 flights only for over two years now. There is a single daily D1 flight on SAN-JFK that provides lounge access -- DL473. The other 3 daily flights on this route are domestic F and thus do not provide lounge access.
Old Jul 1, 18, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I found 2017 discussion of lounge access being allowed on transcon first class flights including SAN-JFK. Is that no longer the case?

I also found that since he has a Delta credit card, he can buy a discounted lounge entry. There are also Priority Club lounges in both JFK Terminal 4 and STI. He is a Priority Club member, so that is a fallback.
AFAIK not for domestic FC but yes if it's a D1 ticket, such as the LAX/SFO-JFK and vv routes.
Old Jul 1, 18, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
[H]e has a Delta credit card, he can buy a discounted lounge entry. There are also Priority Club lounges in both JFK Terminal 4 and STI. He is a Priority Club member, so that is a fallback.
A few thoughts about your husband's JFK experience...

1. It's possible his flight to STI could depart from Terminal 2 (if the flight number starts with a "4" it's supposed to go out of T4 and a "2" indicates T2, but that's not 100% all the time).

2. The SkyClubs in JFK are OK; the T4 is large and has nice views and the SkyDeck (although it is as hot as Hades right now). I buy access via my DL Amex often.

3. The Wingtips (PP) Lounge isn't that convenient to the majority of DL flights and IMO not worth the effort to access unless the STI flight departs from a very low gate (20s or lower) in T4. They have been known to deny access to PP members at peak times due to overcrowding.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 1, 18 at 5:33 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: