Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Are passengers getting "Uber" like ratings from Flight attendants?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/2MM, MR-Plat, HH-Gold, Hertz-Prezi Club, Marriott-Gold, MHC

So this is a new one. I'm on the SEA-ATL afternoon flight (#2 on upgrade list for 2 seats remaining so thanks for that). After the meal service, the FA came through and thanked a couple of the F passengers for their loyalty to Delta and how much they appreciate their business. (my seatmate was thanked, not me). I was joking with the FA that i must not be five star yet, and he laughed and said it was just random. THey have their little remote handheld devices and apparently it tells them who to congratulate on being awesome delta customers during a particular flight! Dang the luck i've run out of JWD certificates so i'm unable to make my rating higher. Makes me wonder if the FA's are now secretly scoring passengers in F based on their behavior? "oh, that guy had 5 woodfords, i'll give him a 2, but that nice person in 3D didn't bother us so we'll give her a 5!" This is just what i've overheard so don't know if it's an official Delta program, but would be pretty interesting if the FA start rating passengers!
Old May 8, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
What a disastrous idea for exactly what happened here! Are they really supposed to thank some customers and ignore others? Are you sure this is not for special milestones like reaching DM status or MM status?
Old May 8, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I doubt that FAs are rating passengers. OP is overthinking things
rjg319, pvn and Mr. Tickets like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

standby, i'm going to see if i can cajole more info from the FA. my fellow passenger is already a DM (as am I), and they thanked the person behind me in 2A. There may be a new initiative coming down from Delta HQ about ratings. The lucky 5 star next to me told the FA he really likes Delta and enjoys the flights. the FA made a big deal about going to delta.com and fill out the survey. he said put whatever you want in the comments, just try to score 5's for the survey!
Old May 8, 2018, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

OK, just talked to the lead FA. So yes they do have the ability to rate passengers if they are behaving poorly. He said for instance, if a passenger has too much to drink and is rude and difficult, then the FA can code that passenger something like an "5.1...faliure to follow flight crew instructions". and that will be in the persons file, so future flights the FA can see that the person in 3A could be difficult. i'm actually quite interested in if this will be systemwide or just Beta on a few flights. I can see positives and negatives of this, but hey if Larry David on Curb your Enthusiasm can't get above a 1.0 in his Uber app, then maybe it's a good system to keep the complainers to a minimum! Since technology knows everything about me anyways, what's the harm in one more company scouring my personal data to figure out if i should have that 3rd Jack Daniels or not??

Last edited by RICforme; May 8, 2018 at 6:53 pm
Old May 8, 2018, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by RICforme
OK, just talked to the lead FA. So yes they do have the ability to rate passengers if they are behaving poorly. He said for instance, if a passenger has too much to drink and is rude and difficult, then the FA can code that passenger something like an "5.1...faliure to follow flight crew instructions". and that will be in the persons file, so future flights the FA can see that the person in 3A could be difficult. i'm actually quite interested in if this will be systemwide or just Beta on a few flights. I can see positives and negatives of this, but hey if Larry David on Curb your Enthusiasm can't get above a 1.0 in his Uber app, then maybe it's a good system to keep the complainers to a minimum! Since technology knows everything about me anyways, what's the harm in one more company scouring my personal data to figure out if i should have that 3rd Jack Daniels or not??
Bingo - there it is!

Last edited by ryandc99; May 9, 2018 at 3:09 pm Reason: removed unnecessary flaming
Old May 8, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I could indeed see FAs noting a very problematic passenger, information that could be useful if that passenger files a complaint about the flight. Perhaps they might note an exceptional passenger (one who assists in a medical emergency, for example) and deserves a thank you from DL HQ.

Beyond that, I would be quite surprised if passengers get rated. Just my 2 cents.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

ouch! i love FT, and post was not meant as a complaint, more of a wow, they're really going all in on customer feedback data. the lead FA was very open about it, and said it was good (in his opinion) to offer "ratings" or whatever you want to call it, to improve the experience. I'm sure there are marketing experts who understand all of this stuff, but only seems fair if a customer is going to complain about a service, the "servicer" should also be able to note their view of what happened. Bottom line everyone be nice to your fellow passengers and hard working FA's, and find more JWD certificates to up your "ratings"!
In2ishn and Renes Points like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RICforme
ouch! i love FT, and post was not meant as a complaint, more of a wow, they're really going all in on customer feedback data. the lead FA was very open about it, and said it was good (in his opinion) to offer "ratings" or whatever you want to call it, to improve the experience. I'm sure there are marketing experts who understand all of this stuff, but only seems fair if a customer is going to complain about a service, the "servicer" should also be able to note their view of what happened. Bottom line everyone be nice to your fellow passengers and hard working FA's, and find more JWD certificates to up your "ratings"!
I'd happily give out more if DL gave me more to give out. They only gave me 2 JWD Certs with my PM packet. Not sure if I can request more but 2 hardly seems like enough given the amount of flying one does in a year as a PM (same with the 4 that DMs are given).
RICforme likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:04 pm

Please mark me down for silence.

No thanks...no connection info, no gate info, no use of my name in public amongst creepy strangers.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I have been thanked a few times, and on a JFK-CDG flight last year, in C+, the lead FA went to my seat and gave me a thank you card. I've also noticed some passengers being thanked but not me. In one occasion, I asked the lead FA right after she came to my seat which criteria they used, I was told that the app just generates a list and they follow through.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I am always thanked by the FA. I thought everyone is. Afterall they always say "I'd like to thank all the skymiles members blah blah blah"

But on a serious note, I think I was thanked 2 flights ago SDQ JFK April 18th.

Lead FA came up to me after I ate my meal and said she wanted to thank me for being a valuable customer. Said if I needed anything to let her know. I don't recall if she said it to anyone else I didn't pay attention I was to busy watching movies. But she did tap my shoulder to get my attention to convey the message.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Has anyone who has been thanked stopped flying DL for a while and then started again? I wonder if that would trigger it? Like..we've missed you! I've noticed with Uber that if I stop using it (I almost always use Lyft except to spend my Amex credit) I will get targeted discounts.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre
I doubt that FAs are rating passengers. OP is overthinking things
I'm with you here. There is something fundamentally different between what's mentioned in the thread title (i.e. every customer gets a rating like with Uber) and what turned out to be true (i.e. " yes they do have the ability to rate passengers if they are behaving poorly"). From my perspective, it seems that your opinion was correct.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I've had it happen twice this year. The FA's both said that it was generated by the system and was on their phone.

One of them was really puzzled - there were 2 pax to be thanked, both DM's in F and there was a 360 in back who wasn't on the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.