Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CRJ200 retirement?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by brillb
It's been nice to have Delta limit it to under 2 hours but asking "when will CR2 eliminated" would kill tiny airports. And I don't think people here really appreciate what a tiny airport actually is, in general. I'm talking zero jet bridges. My closest airport only has 35 chairs and no bathroom in the air-side of security. They added a water cooler and those little cone shaped paper cups and it was a huge upgrade. So don't demand something that is unreasonable for people in other situations!!
That sounds like the old VPS terminal, though by the early 00s when they started getting a good number of flights, you'd hard 250 people in competition for the 35 chairs. And I would have preferred the water cones to the perpetually broken vending machine that only dispensed room temperature Diet Coke.

But envy VPS now- when they opened up the new terminal in late 2004, we actually got airside public toilets and enough places to sit. And cold beverages of different types in both sides of the terminal.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by beachmouse
But envy VPS now- when they opened up the new terminal in late 2004, we actually got airside public toilets and enough places to sit. And cold beverages of different types in both sides of the terminal.
If memory serves me correctly, doesn't VPS have a restaurant that straddles the secure area and non-secure area, where part of the restaurant is outside security and part of the restaurant is in the secure area, with two dining areas? (No idea how the kitchen works).
Old May 10, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
If memory serves me correctly, doesn't VPS have a restaurant that straddles the secure area and non-secure area, where part of the restaurant is outside security and part of the restaurant is in the secure area, with two dining areas? (No idea how the kitchen works).
They do. I'm not sure quite how it works either, but it's essentially adjacent to the TSA checkpoint so in theory (yeah, I know) that should discourage attempts at hinky business.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by pvn
I don't see what's so bad about the CRJ2. It's essentially the same cross-section as the CRJ9, so what makes one "better" than the other?
See: https://renespoints.boardingarea.com...c-seats-fired/

Old May 10, 2018, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
THIS. I am thankful Delta does not run turboprops. It was far-and-away the main reason I chose Delta, because where I am, both United and American were (and are) running TPs with consistency. Give me a CR2 over anything with a propeller.
Clearly you never found out about the weight and balance issues with the SAAB turbo props. I made a small fortune on bumpertunites on those Swedish planes. Oh, and the space was better than a CRJ200!
Old May 10, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
I don't see what's so bad about the CRJ2. It's essentially the same cross-section as the CRJ9, so what makes one "better" than the other?
Floor height. The floor on a CR7 and CR9 are lower than a CR2 which makes windows seat bearable for those who have shoulders of average width or greater.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Floor height. The floor on a CR7 and CR9 are lower than a CR2 which makes windows seat bearable for those who have shoulders of average width or greater.
This. There is a huge difference between the 200s and 700/900s.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WWads

This. There is a huge difference between the 200s and 700/900s.
Huge? The cabin height is 1.25" taller in a CR9 vs. CR2., and the cabin width at floor level is 2" narrower from this floor drop. See BBD's own specs.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:24 am

I'm not gonna get into the small market issue here as I don't really fly to smaller cities, but I've been on a CRJ on JFK-IAD and it's no fun (because of the way JFK works that 40 minute theoretical hop may well turn into over 2 hours on the plane). I'd rather have them cut frequency between DC and NY and then (1) use mainline planes and (2) actually fly the schedule and don't cancel them willy nilly.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Plat
It's crazy how much better of an airline DL is compared to the other two. Yeah people around here complain (me included sometimes), but my conclusion after trying both recently was that AA and UA are just crappier than DL. AA is closer than UA, but DL is in its own league.
It's crazy to me that people don't understand this. I had a friend who was traveling LGA-FLL on the same day as me, by coincidence. So I asked her what airline she was on, and she said "Spirit."
Me: "Oh god, I'm sorry"
Her: "What's your airline?"
Me: "Delta"
Her: "Well that's not much better"
Me: "......what"

The average person doesn't understand the difference between airlines, and group them all together in the same class of "bad" with the exception of like JetBlue which has the coolness factor. But I'd choose Delta over JetBlue any day, at least with Delta we're going to be on time.
MIDWESTERNFLYER likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I'm not gonna get into the small market issue here as I don't really fly to smaller cities, but I've been on a CRJ on JFK-IAD and it's no fun (because of the way JFK works that 40 minute theoretical hop may well turn into over 2 hours on the plane). I'd rather have them cut frequency between DC and NY and then (1) use mainline planes and (2) actually fly the schedule and don't cancel them willy nilly.
I feel the exact same way with LGA shuttle service. I don't need a flight to Chicago every hour. Run real planes once every 2-3 hours. That's still just as convenient with a much more enjoyable experience.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by live5
I feel the exact same way with LGA shuttle service. I don't need a flight to Chicago every hour. Run real planes once every 2-3 hours. That's still just as convenient with a much more enjoyable experience.
DL actually does have a couple mainline departures on ORD-LGA but what's so bad about the E-175s DL is using for the non-mainline flights? No middle seats. O/H bins that fit full size carry-ons. 4 single "A" seats in FC. How is this a less enjoyable experience than a mainline jet and how would being stuck in a middle seat on a 717 or A320 or 757 be a "much more enjoyable experience"?
LoganFlyer, SJC ORD LDR and wrp96 like this.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by live5
Any plane that is able to fly you is a real plane. But, I like the E175s better than most mainline planes for the reasons a previous poster stated and they are easy upgrades to be had.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Eh, I’d take a new Q400 over a CRJ2 any day.
as would I

the back-and-forth on the Alaska Airlines board during the chaos of the Horizon pilot shortages last fall was entertaining ... at one point I think five evening PDX<-->SEA shuttle trips on Q400s (76 seats) were replaced with three SkyWest trips on CRJ-200s (50 seats)
Old May 11, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Any plane that is able to fly you is a real plane. But, I like the E175s better than most mainline planes for the reasons a previous poster stated and they are easy upgrades to be had.
E170/E175 is the best RJ IMO, it's basically like flying a mainline jet but without the middle seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.