Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will award ticket price go down anytime soon for a flight in 2.5 weeks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will award ticket price go down anytime soon for a flight in 2.5 weeks?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG, American
Question Will award ticket price go down anytime soon for a flight in 2.5 weeks?

I booked a ticket DCA-ZRH with Skymiles for 70k and now need to change timing of the flight -- Flying to JFK in the morning for a night time flight out of JFK, but now need to leave DC later. Only options right now have me changing to a flight for 225k -- is it possible that flights will open up close in. I am Platinum so I know that I can try same-day confirmed, but was wondering what the trends are for award tickets closer in? Is there a good chance that cheaper awards will open back up close in? All help very much appreciated!

Last edited by millenialmiler; May 7, 2018 at 3:20 pm Reason: Want to clarify subject line.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
It won't likely go down at this point. Also, cannot do Same Day Confirmed on the domestic portion of an International itineriary until all the international segments have been flown.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
It won't likely go down at this point. Also, cannot do Same Day Confirmed on the domestic portion of an International itineriary until all the international segments have been flown.
Mr. Tickets -- thanks for your quick reply!

Sounds like I am SoL at this point.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by millenialmiler
I booked a ticket DCA-ZRH with Skymiles for 70k and now need to change timing of the flight -- Flying to JFK in the morning for a night time flight out of JFK, but now need to leave DC later. Only options right now have me changing to a flight for 225k -- is it possible that flights will open up close in. I am Platinum so I know that I can try same-day confirmed, but was wondering what the trends are for award tickets closer in? Is there a good chance that cheaper awards will open back up close in? All help very much appreciated!
While trends won't provide a final answer, what are trends showing for the same route if you booked for a flight in the next couple days on the same route? Do the next couple days show cheap options close-in or are the prices for itineraries over the next couple days also expensive?

Also, is your DCA-JFK ticket a different ticket than your JFK-ZRH ticket? If not, you can't SDC as you cannot SDC on a ticket until all international segments have been flown.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you get DL to just drop the DCA-JFK segment from the award without having to reprice it? AA lets you do this on awards in some cases (it’s a way around the award change fee that they usually charge when changing origin or destination). I’m skeptical DL would, but it’s worth raising.
Then, you can get yourself to JFK on another award or paid ticket.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I had an award ticket for my father (no status), but booked with my miles where I wanted to do something similar. He was flying MCO-ATL-JNB and he had an 8 hour layover in ATL. Changing the domestic flight changed the one-way award from something like 80k miles to 220k miles. The day before the flight I asked if he could leave in the afternoon instead to shorten the layover, and the agent did make the change without penalty. I think your best option is to explain why your circumstances have changed and hope to find a sympathetic agent.
millenialmiler likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Can you get DL to just drop the DCA-JFK segment from the award without having to reprice it? AA lets you do this on awards in some cases (it’s a way around the award change fee that they usually charge when changing origin or destination). I’m skeptical DL would, but it’s worth raising.
Then, you can get yourself to JFK on another award or paid ticket.
I did ask about this but she mentioned that they were “married” segments. Maybe I try back and see if there is a way to override this in the system.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did ask about this but she mentioned that they were “married” segments. Maybe I try back and see if there is a way to override this in the system.

Award tickets have used married segment logic for several years now. It's no different than with a revenue ticket. If you bought a revenue fare on these flights where the fare had a 3-week advance purchase and wanted to make this change within 3 weeks of your flights, you would no longer qualify for the 3 week advance fare and would be expected to pay the fare difference. Or if the new flights simply no longer had the same fare bucket inventory available as the flights you originally booked, again you would have to pay the fare difference.

Last edited by xliioper; May 8, 2018 at 5:10 am
Old May 8, 2018, 6:37 am

It sounds like you may have purchased the original ticket a while ago. Have their been substantial changes to the timing of the flights? I have had good luck with rescheduling flights for free due to changes that resulted in tight connections, inconvenient departure or arrival times, etc.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Delta has used married segments on awards since Nov. '14. AA's implementation is more recent. Delta, unlike AA's rule mentioned by ijgordon, does not have a provision to drop the first or last segment without repricing.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm beginning to think that the implementation of married segment logic on award tickets was nearly as big of a devaluation as the abolishment of the award chart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.