Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

​​​​​​​“Seat Purchase” Available for BE Flight - 4 Days Before Checkin

Old May 7, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

I have a BE flight coming up on Sat. On the Mon before I noticed the DL App was displaying a “Seat Purchase” button in place of the normal “Seat Assignment” button. I may upgrade to a non-preferred coach seat for $35. Is this new? My previous BE flights would not allow seat selection until after Checkin.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RRDD
I have a BE flight coming up on Sat. On the Mon before I noticed the DL App was displaying a “Seat Purchase” button in place of the normal “Seat Assignment” button. I may upgrade to a non-preferred coach seat for $35. Is this new? My previous BE flights would not allow seat selection until after Checkin.

First I've heard of it. Noticed there's been a subtle change on the Basic Economy main web page in the last month --

From "you will not receive a seat assignment until after check-in or at the gate. "
to "Seat assignment is free after check-in"

Although the FAQ section still has the old language.

Also found this text under the BE conditions shown at purchase page --
"Advance seat assignment, if available, may require a fee when flying Delta operated or Delta partner operated flights; seats may otherwise be assigned at check-in or at the gate."

Last edited by xliioper; May 7, 2018 at 11:46 am
Old May 7, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by RRDD
I also saw this for the first time last week on Wednesday. I don't recall if it was the same price as what you were offered though.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Interesting. One more attempt to convince BE flyers they really want to pay more.

What was the route for which they wanted $35?
Old May 7, 2018, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Wonder whether what the non-BE premium was at the time of booking, e.g., fare difference between BE and cheapest Y cabin. If it was less than $35, quite the marketing kudos to DL.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What was the route for which they wanted $35?
Current BE ticket is PIT-DTW-ORD (one way) for $102. I’m offered non-preferred coach seats for $35 on the DTW leg and $19 on the ORD leg. I believe the regular coach fare at the time of purchase was about $140.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fare diff is only $25 for 14-day advance one-way V fares ($126.80 vs $101.80). Also, seeing $25 diff for L and U one-way fares. No BE fares for K and higher fare classes. I suspect this is mostly aimed at folks who get stuck with an E fare -- either because they weren't paying attention or someone else bought them a ticket. Agents are probably tired of dealing with folks complaining about this.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Fare diff is only $25 for 14-day advance one-way V fares ($126.80 vs $101.80). Also, seeing $25 diff for L and U one-way fares. No BE fares for K and higher fare classes. I suspect this is mostly aimed at folks who get stuck with an E fare -- either because they weren't paying attention or someone else bought them a ticket. Agents are probably tired of dealing with folks complaining about this.
Yes, but.....that means I could have chosen “preferred” seats (with a chance for an upgrade) for $25 had I not bought BE. I’m now being offered “non-preferred” seats for $50+ more. Maybe DL is telling me; “Na-Na, you had your chance, and you didn’t take it.”
Old May 8, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, AA offers the option to purchase a seat on a BE fare at T-72h IIRC. Keeping up with the Joneses.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:00 pm

BE allows for seat purchases now however all the other ticketing rules still apply.
Widgets likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.