Wiki Posts
Search

Do 30 day Sky Club passes still exist?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Do 30 day Sky Club passes still exist?

Niece is flying MUC-AMS-MSP-GRR with 18 and 10 hour layovers in AMS and MSP. Club access in AMS and MSP would go a long ways to making things more comfortable. We'd need 2 Aspire club passes for AMS (with crap food into the bargain), and a Sky Club pass for MSP, so I'm hoping there's a better option.

I saw some old posts mentioning it, but nothing recent. Did Delta kill it after AA killed 30 day Admirals Club passes?

If not, how to get one for her?
Old May 7, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Ouch. Rough itinerary.

I can't answer your question here, unfortunately. I will say that 18 hours at AMS, even in a lounge, is a hell I've endured three times. The first time was miserable. The second time I found one of those relaxing chairs near the upstairs food court to doze in, and it was still about 90% as miserable. The third time I did the smart thing and forked over the cash for a room at the Schipol Yotel. While I don't know if your niece is travelling for school and/or is on a tight budget, but $115 is a small price to pay for a place to doze, use the restroom, shower, and in general get away from everyone else while still being on the right side of security. It looks like some days/nights are available beginning at $62 too, which is obviously a much more palatable price. Throw in a few bucks for some airport food (which will, as you indicated, easily beat the quality of the lounge offerings), and binge some Netflix or something to pass the time in a nice, air-conditioned bed.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles, SPG
I second eastindywalrus' comments.

Skip the lounge @ AMS and put her up in the Yotal onsite, seeing she will be there for 18 hours. At the very least, she can unwind and get some proper rest, and get some food within the terminal, which is a hell of a lot better than the lounge itself in almost every way possible. I was recently in exactly the same situation; I opted for the hotel and was immediately already happier than being in the lounge.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
Ouch. Rough itinerary.

I can't answer your question here, unfortunately. I will say that 18 hours at AMS, even in a lounge, is a hell I've endured three times. The first time was miserable. The second time I found one of those relaxing chairs near the upstairs food court to doze in, and it was still about 90% as miserable. The third time I did the smart thing and forked over the cash for a room at the Schipol Yotel. While I don't know if your niece is travelling for school and/or is on a tight budget, but $115 is a small price to pay for a place to doze, use the restroom, shower, and in general get away from everyone else while still being on the right side of security. It looks like some days/nights are available beginning at $62 too, which is obviously much more palatable of a price. Throw in a few bucks for some airport food (which will, as you indicated, easily beat the quality of the lounge offerings), and binge some Netflix or something to pass the time in a nice, air-conditioned bed.
I can concur, Yotel at Schiphol is excellent and a reasonably affordable alternative to any lounge situation. As far as I know, the 30-day pass was done away with 2 or 3 years ago.

Why limit yourself to the airport though? Depending on how much energy your niece has after her trip, she could also easily spend an afternoon in Amsterdam, it is very easy getting there by train and fairly cheap, too. The train takes you right to the city center. What I like to do when I have a longish layover is renting a bike near Centraal and getting some exercise while enjoying the beauty of the city. The options, of course are endless. She could also potentially get a hostel bed somewhere in the city, if she decides to go, which could potentially be more convenient and even cheaper than the Yotel!
Old May 7, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ceverett
Niece is flying MUC-AMS-MSP-GRR with 18 and 10 hour layovers in AMS and MSP. Club access in AMS and MSP would go a long ways to making things more comfortable. We'd need 2 Aspire club passes for AMS (with crap food into the bargain), and a Sky Club pass for MSP, so I'm hoping there's a better option.

I saw some old posts mentioning it, but nothing recent. Did Delta kill it after AA killed 30 day Admirals Club passes?

If not, how to get one for her?
The layover at AMS sounds like an overnight layover. I'd verify the clubs would even be open overnight (are any airline lounges open 24 hours?) and I'd also consider either 1) getting a hotel at AMS overnight or 2) getting a hotel in downtown Amsterdam and staying overnight in the city. AMS is easy train ride from the Amsterdam's main train station.

MSP sounds like a daytime-layover. SkyClub is one option but another option is taking the light-rail down to Mall of America. Probably some okay restaurants in the mall plus the ability to walk around and shop if your niece desires.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 30 day pass was discontinued on May 1, 2014 when DL also introduced Individual and Executive membership tiers --

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Also the day pass was discontinued and replaced with a single visit access option (purchased at the door).
ceverett likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
The 30 day pass was discontinued on May 1, 2014 when DL also introduced Individual and Executive membership tiers --

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Also the day pass was discontinued and replaced with a single visit access option (purchased at the door).
I thought so, but always good to make sure.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ceverett
Niece is flying MUC-AMS-MSP-GRR with 18 and 10 hour layovers in AMS and MSP.
So, I will be the pain. The nice, easy, MUC-DTW-GRR or MUC-ATL-GRR connection (as little as 12:52 total travel time) wasn't available at a price you would pay?
Old May 7, 2018, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

OK, I'll be recommending the Yotel to my sister. Thanks all for the recommendations.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:24 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
This isn't directly helpful, but when 30-day passes were a thing, did they actually include partner lounges? My memory was that partner lounges were a membership-specific benefit, and that passes didn't unlock those.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pvn
This isn't directly helpful, but when 30-day passes were a thing, did they actually include partner lounges? My memory was that partner lounges were a membership-specific benefit, and that passes didn't unlock those.
30-day passes gave you full membership and access to any lounge regular members could access. Back in my Silver days I would purchase a 30-day pass and access AF lounges at CDG, the lounge agents could not differentiate between a regular membership and a 30-day one.
Delta Dude likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
For Minneapolis, cheaper than a day pass to the SkyClub ($40 vs $59) and, in my opinion nicer, is the Escape Lounge.
Minneapolis | Escape Lounge | Escape Lounges | Escape Lounges

I get access via Amex but it was quieter than Delta, and more food options. Power plugs EVERYWHERE too for getting devices set up. It doesn't have a private bathroom and there are no shower facilities, though.
IndyHoosier and Seabilly like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound
30-day passes gave you full membership and access to any lounge regular members could access. Back in my Silver days I would purchase a 30-day pass and access AF lounges at CDG, the lounge agents could not differentiate between a regular membership and a 30-day one.
I got some good use out of the 30-day pass too, if I remember correctly it was only $90 or so and that was a steal whenever I had travel-heavy months! And you could definitely get into international lounges too, I remember using it at both CDG and AMS.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
So, I will be the pain. The nice, easy, MUC-DTW-GRR or MUC-ATL-GRR connection (as little as 12:52 total travel time) wasn't available at a price you would pay?
Perhaps OP's niece is a segment flyer
kjandrews1992 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:41 am

The MSP Escape lounge can be purchased at half price on Groupon. It's a nice facility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.