Search

Do 30 day Sky Club passes still exist?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Delta Dude

Perhaps OP's niece is a segment flyer
On uncle's award miles? Perhaps she's burning (pun intended) to visit an Amsterdam cannabis shop and The Mall of America?
Old May 8, 2018, 8:07 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I would consider purchasing a cheaper one way from MSP to GRR earlier than the original. That seems like a painful amount of time to sit around when you're so close. You can also pay for a SDC on standby for an earlier flight.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I would consider purchasing a cheaper one way from MSP to GRR earlier than the original. That seems like a painful amount of time to sit around when you're so close. You can also pay for a SDC on standby for an earlier flight.
There's a charge for SDC/SDS for nonelites and for SDC fare class availability is required. There also is probably the issue of a checked bag.

Assuming niece dosn't need a visa to enter Holland, I'd vote for leaving the airport and getting a hotel, perhaps downtown depending on timing. This assumes that she has some travel experience.

At MSP, take the light rail to MOA or downtown Minneapolis. Someone mentioned showers, but note that none of the MSP lounges have showers and all of the airport hotels are off property and require use of a shuttle bus or the light rail line--nothing is walkable. A kid from overseas is likely to enjoy the MOA. However, depending on her ago, note that during certain hours underage kids are required to be with a parent at MOA, so check the details if she's under 18. There's a big food court with lots of options, but no restaurants I'd really recommend. If pressed, maybe Rainforest Cafe (if it still exists as there have been some recent changes) for a variety of food in a sitdown restaurant with a tropical theme that offers burgers, salads, etc. The movie theaters at MOA have just been renovated, so catching a movie or visiting the aquarium are ways to kill time at MOA but AFAIK still subject to the no kids without parents rules.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:15 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's a charge for SDC/SDS for nonelites and for SDC fare class availability is required. There also is probably the issue of a checked bag.

Assuming niece dosn't need a visa to enter Holland, I'd vote for leaving the airport and getting a hotel, perhaps downtown depending on timing. This assumes that she has some travel experience.

At MSP, take the light rail to MOA or downtown Minneapolis. Someone mentioned showers, but note that none of the MSP lounges have showers and all of the airport hotels are off property and require use of a shuttle bus or the light rail line--nothing is walkable. A kid from overseas is likely to enjoy the MOA. However, depending on her ago, note that during certain hours underage kids are required to be with a parent at MOA, so check the details if she's under 18. There's a big food court with lots of options, but no restaurants I'd really recommend. If pressed, maybe Rainforest Cafe (if it still exists as there have been some recent changes) for a variety of food in a sitdown restaurant with a tropical theme that offers burgers, salads, etc. The movie theaters at MOA have just been renovated, so catching a movie or visiting the aquarium are ways to kill time at MOA but AFAIK still subject to the no kids without parents rules.
As mentioned above, I know that the change costs $75 ONLY if you end up taking the earlier flight. Additionally, baggage is not an issue as they will move your bag to the earlier flight as well. I have done this several times in LAX when coming back from international trips as well as in MSP. I have walked around downtown before and enjoyed myself however with an itinerary that long, I would leave the airport in AMS and try to limit my time spent in MSP because at that point I would just be ready to get home.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I can't imagine spending 18 hours at AMS. There's an excellent city a short, cheap, and easy train ride away. You can store your luggage at AMS. Walking around Amsterdam is a beautiful and pleasant experience, and there are plenty of indoor spaces to enjoy if the weather is poor.

Last edited by CPMaverick; May 9, 2018 at 5:56 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 12:41 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Also, going into Amsterdam from Schipol is an easy option. I do that sometimes even with 3-4 hours. Certainly 18, she can sleep, and do quite a bit in the city since the train is 20 minutes away every 15 minutes and about $8 one way.

MSP is best likely with the light rail to the Mall of America or even downtown MPLS. Minnehaha Falls in a nice outdoor hike from the train as well.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Sounds like a great excuse to sign up for an Amex Plat and add her as an additional cardholder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.