Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding madness

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The cattle call does not get the plane boarded any faster. GA's are perfectly capable of seeing when there are 3-4 people left in line for the current zone and calling the next one, ensuring a constant stream of passengers getting their BP scanned and on the plane.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:22 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't care about it being faster. I care about not feeling like I'm in a heard of animals. I'd much prefer the process to be a bit slower and more civilized, and I don't think I'm alone.
No, I believe you. There are tons of people who get irritated because they think the process could be faster. I think if they actually experienced a significantly faster boarding process they would change their tune.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by javabytes
The cattle call does not get the plane boarded any faster. GA's are perfectly capable of seeing when there are 3-4 people left in line for the current zone and calling the next one, ensuring a constant stream of passengers getting their BP scanned and on the plane.
Uh.. what? The gate agent and boarding pass scanner is not the bottleneck. The bottleneck is the people on the planes and trying to get settled. And unfortunately Delta's boarding process (as is the process for most legacies) is the most inefficient in for throughput as a result of their priority boarding process.

Everyone is always in contention for the same seats with priority boarding. PREM fights for first class seats, SKY fights for the same set of seats, and Zone 1 generally fights for the same seats (preferred). And to add insult to injury, once they finally start to fill up the back of the plane, they get interrupted by trying to in-fill the middles.

Point is, boarding PREM to Zone 1 together will always be faster than boarding them separately. In general, boarding Zone 2 followed by Zone 1 and then a mix of SKY/PREM would probably be even more optimal (not even getting into more efficient structured boarding processes).
Old May 7, 2018, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Delta always has boarding chaos at the hubs (NYC, ATL, DTW, MSP, SLC, and SEA in my experience). The outstations with very little elites are usually the calmest.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if OP is complaining or what.
No I was not complaining. I had just never seen them board in a mass group like this. It was comical that they said that they were running late (they were not) boarding started at T-40 min and were boarded withing 25 min and the flight was ready but then we sat at the gate for another 15 min.

Again no complaints just never seen them board in this manner
Old May 7, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by javabytes
I've never understood having passengers sit in the jetway all the way to the boarding pass scanner. Doesn't get the plane boarded any faster. There's a GA in PBI that looks down the jetway and when there are only a few people left calls the next zone.
Anecdotal but seems to be a quicker boarding process when that persin is doing the boarding.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Go to Japan and see how fast they can load the 777. It's amazing.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ethernal
Everyone is always in contention for the same seats with priority boarding. PREM fights for first class seats, SKY fights for the same set of seats, and Zone 1 generally fights for the same seats (preferred). And to add insult to injury, once they finally start to fill up the back of the plane, they get interrupted by trying to in-fill the middles.

Point is, boarding PREM to Zone 1 together will always be faster than boarding them separately. In general, boarding Zone 2 followed by Zone 1 and then a mix of SKY/PREM would probably be even more optimal (not even getting into more efficient structured boarding processes).
Even though PREM/SkyPri are competing for the same F and C+ space, the inefficiency is still okay in my book because at least there isn't a crush of people ahead and behind. It's easier to give someone a touch of breathing space if there aren't 40 more people backing up the jetway.

And as pvn points out, not all of us care how fast boarding is. That's the Delta GA's concern, not mine. IMO, gate lice and boarding groups are all attributed directly to the competition for overhead bin space. Southwest lets anyone who wants to check a bag (or two) do so, and they don't seem to have the constant announcements about gate checking, or delays on board, or people having to go several rows past their seat to stow a bag (and even worse, the upstream salmon trying to retrieve it for disembarkation).
Old May 7, 2018, 6:14 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I can't believe that many people were in a rush to get to Omaha
davetravels likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ethernal
Uh.. what? The gate agent and boarding pass scanner is not the bottleneck. The bottleneck is the people on the planes and trying to get settled. And unfortunately Delta's boarding process (as is the process for most legacies) is the most inefficient in for throughput as a result of their priority boarding process.

I think the efficiency you mentioned is part of why DMs in coach are allowed to board with PREM now... yes, the very back of the plane likely isn’t part of that boarding group, but C+ and exit row seats are.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Also I haven't seen this at United or American (unless they hide it better) but who's bright idea at Delta was to board those who booked T, X, or V fares to board in Group 3? I get sticking Basic Economy last but I don't know why they have to punish us for picking up a cheap fare.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Also I haven't seen this at United or American (unless they hide it better) but who's bright idea at Delta was to board those who booked T, X, or V fares to board in Group 3? I get sticking Basic Economy last but I don't know why they have to punish us for picking up a cheap fare.
UA and AA also do this, to an extent. They just have even more boarding groups so you may not be the very last.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:40 am

Unhappy Reply

I realized when the airlines have a delay the staff is forced to work as fast as possible because every minute of delay at the airport costs a lot of money. Unfortunately customer satisfaction is often ignored in these cases.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Somebody has to go in Zones 3 and 4. If you're not SkyMiles elite, it's you. It's lack of elite status, not deepest discount fare class. Silvers can buy T/X/V without fear.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
As long as DL continues to upsell priority boarding at booking, as a perk of status, etc., I think people have a right to be upset when that "benefit" disappears.
KevinDTW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.