Any experience on Kenya Airways??

Old May 6, 18, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
Any experience on Kenya Airways??

Hello

looking at a trip to Nairobi Kenya late November. Good option on Kenya Airways AMS to NBO and return.

Will be traveling with one companion who will be GM or PM by the time we travel (pending Amex spend). I am PM now and at time of travel.

will ll we get any seat privileges? How are the flights? Good service? We are looking at main cabin.

Other options are Air France through CDG.

Thank you.
Old May 6, 18, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL DM MM - IHG Spire
My KQ experience will only help you in a broader sense because I was not in Y. I flew JNB-NBO-BKK on KQ in J and found the service/food/etc to be as good as AF/KL. I would def fly KQ again.

For the OP's situation, I would check what a/c are operated by AF and KQ and use seat width/pitch as the guide. I believe that all of AF's 777s are now 10 across. As a DL PM, it might also be worthwhile to the check the earnings chart at delta.com for what SM, MQM and MQD earnings would be for each option..
Old May 6, 18, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*
If you are looking at KQ, their nonstop JFK-NBO service begins in October.
Old May 7, 18, 6:09 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Itís been a few years since my own AMS-NBO flight, but my recollection is that it wasnít bad. A 767 IIRC. At the time, the NBO airport had just burned and so customs was conducted by a large unformed man sitting at a card table.
Customs was the biggest pain. Only Euros, Sterling or USD, cash...bills must be crisp and less than 5 years old. And there was no ATM available if you didnít have cash. Passengers were loaning each other cash to pay the $60, with the promise that there were ATMs after customs. Hopefully the ATM situation is resolved now. I distinctly remember the card table piled over a foot deep in crisp $20s and $100s. Not even a box to put it in...just a huge pile of cash. I bet the crisp, new bill policy remains in effect however. So remember that bit.

That said, my fondest memories are of the Kenyan passengers. All remained seated until their group was called to board, and were polite and orderly during boarding. Even on my return flight AMS-ATL, about half the pax were Kenyan. Boarding at AMS was amazingly orderly. The only gate lice were American and European.
Old May 7, 18, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mridley2 View Post
will ll we get any seat privileges?
Delta doesn't include KQ in its SkyTeam seating benefit.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html
Old May 7, 18, 7:01 am
Formerly known as scootr29

If you use rewards be prepared for very high taxes and service fees....I posted a thread about it a while back....
Old May 7, 18, 7:20 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
Itís been a few years since my own AMS-NBO flight, but my recollection is that it wasnít bad. A 767 IIRC. At the time, the NBO airport had just burned and so customs was conducted by a large unformed man sitting at a card table.
Customs was the biggest pain. Only Euros, Sterling or USD, cash...bills must be crisp and less than 5 years old. And there was no ATM available if you didnít have cash. Passengers were loaning each other cash to pay the $60, with the promise that there were ATMs after customs. Hopefully the ATM situation is resolved now. I distinctly remember the card table piled over a foot deep in crisp $20s and $100s. Not even a box to put it in...just a huge pile of cash. I bet the crisp, new bill policy remains in effect however. So remember that bit.

That said, my fondest memories are of the Kenyan passengers. All remained seated until their group was called to board, and were polite and orderly during boarding. Even on my return flight AMS-ATL, about half the pax were Kenyan. Boarding at AMS was amazingly orderly. The only gate lice were American and European.
Customs ay NBO has been fixed....but keep in mind NBO is a 3rd world airport so things could go bad very quickly.....
Old May 7, 18, 8:02 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
I can't speak for any elite benefits across ST, but I flew them two years ago from NBO to ACC and was more than impressed. Friendly crew, quality meal, pre arrival snack.

NBO itself isn't the worst in the region, but it is still NBO.

I could think of many worse airlines to fly.
Old May 10, 18, 8:11 pm

Granted, it was a decade ago, but I used to fly Kenya Airways regularly back and forth to Burundi and Rwanda from Nairobi. Think of NBO as a fieldtrip, and you'll be fine - keep your possessions secure and smile at everyone. Kenya Air is a treat. It often hit Bujumbura at about 3 am when there were few to no taxis waiting (and it's a creepy and long walk into town from the airport). Inevitably I had offers for rides from many of my fellow passengers, and never had any problem.
Old May 10, 18, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
Customs ay NBO has been fixed....but keep in mind NBO is a 3rd world airport so things could go bad very quickly.....
I'd love to know what "being a 3rd world airport so things could go bad very quickly" means. I travel extensively through NBO, JRO, EBB and other airports in East Africa and while they may not be as shiny or have as many amenities as other Western airports, I'm pretty sure none have had the kinds of issues ATL has had in the last year with no power throughout the airport and having to shut their WiFi down for days.

And, BTW, OP, KQ is fine. I personally find the KL seats to be a bit more comfortable on the A330 than the B777s they've once used on the European routes, but I know they've updated some aircraft recently.
Old May 10, 18, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.8MM, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, HH GLD
The two times I traveled with Kenya Airways to NBO on a Delta award my bags went missing for 48 hours. A number of other passengers also had their bags go missing (maybe 10+). Service was OK and seats on the Dreamliner were comfortable. My only advice is to not check bags and as another traveler mentioned, beware of the high fees on awards.
Old May 11, 18, 12:02 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
It's Africa. Lots of potential for delays and less robust service recovery.
I've only done KQ from JNB-NBO-Kigali, which had a delay at JNB, was a red-eye so still made my connection.
At least intra-Africa, it's totally fine, the lounges are decent.
I usually do KLM to Africa (KIG/CPT) since it's easiest but also more reliable due to the Dutch nature.
I wouldn't hesitate about KQ though.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: