Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PHL - HAV (12,000 skymiles RT), May - November 2018

Old May 6, 2018, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

For those interested in visiting Cuba, I stumbled across this deal on the low fare calendar and booked a 4 day stay for 12,000 skymiles and $77, there's also deals from NYC to HAV starting at 15,000 skymiles.

Delta Dude and obscure2k like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:27 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
May I ask. . . . .

What's your visa situation? I'd really like to go, but, I was extremely disappointed when Trump changed the visa stuff.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by davetravels
May I ask. . . . .

What's your visa situation? I'd really like to go, but, I was extremely disappointed when Trump changed the visa stuff.
I'm not the OP, but it seems like the easiest way to pull it off as an individual, 100% in line with the regulations and still do all the stuff you might want to do anyway would be to go under the "In Support of the Cuban People" license.
The following is a sample itinerary from the Treasury's website:

"Example 1 to § 515.574: An individual plans to travel to Cuba, stay in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eat at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shop at privately-owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) during his or her four-day trip. While at the casa particular, the individual will have breakfast each morning with the Cuban host and engage with the Cuban host to learn about Cuban culture. In addition, the traveler will complete his or her full-time schedule by supporting Cuban entrepreneurs launching their privately-owned businesses. The traveler’s activities promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. Because the individual’s qualifying activities are not limited to staying in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eating at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shopping at privately owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) and the traveler maintains a full-time schedule that enhances contact with the Cuban people, supports civil society in Cuba, and promotes the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities, and that results in meaningful interaction between the traveler and Cuban individuals, the individual’s travel qualifies for the general license."
Old May 7, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

The previous poster took my answer basically, choose in support of the cuban people and go visit some restaurants and eat and stay at bnb or something

Be damned if trump is going to stop me from making use of a deal this sweet, you can barely fly domestic for 12000 skymiles.
Delta Dude likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
That's a long layover on the way back...
Old May 7, 2018, 2:06 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I'm flying PIT/CTG tomorrow, and I hava planned overnite 18~19 hour layover to do some "stuff" in Atlanta! I LUV Atlanta!

It was $241 all in. Couldn't pass that up! All outbound UGs cleared in advance. Hopefully, my returns will clear tomorrow at the DM window!

Last edited by davetravels; May 7, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Old May 7, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCP2016
By design my friend.

I could have just picked the shorter layover flight back to Philly with the same skymile value and got back around 9 pm, but why not stop and see Atlanta again?

I consider it a bonus, i'm going to probably go to Piedmont Park again and grab something to eat and just enjoy the city.

Seeing Cuba and Atlanta roundtrip for only $77 (technically $127 with the cuban tourist visa) and only 12,000 skymiles is a helluva deal to me.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Cuba was very cool. Have a great time. Enjoy the people and sights. Bringing home Cigars and Rum was a breeze too.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Cuba was very cool. Have a great time. Enjoy the people and sights. Bringing home Cigars and Rum was a breeze too.
I was thinking about that because I bought some cigars in cancun which I suspect were fakes, so I was wondering what the process was exporting cigars out of cuba.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by YHVH
The previous poster took my answer basically, choose in support of the cuban people and go visit some restaurants and eat and stay at bnb or something

Be damned if trump is going to stop me from making use of a deal this sweet, you can barely fly domestic for 12000 skymiles.
I never understood how tourists could support the Cuban people when the money they spend goes straight into the regime's coffers. Isn't that why the Castros created their "funny money" currency (CUC) back in the 90s just for foreigners? It seems the visa might be better named "In Support of the Cuban Communist Regime".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.