DL1974 on May 5 was empty!!

Old May 6, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
1PM Shuttle DCA-LGA out with nine pax. Pilot request that for weight and balance, move every one forward. Ergo, first class now almost full, coach empty save for one guy who figured he was good enough in row 6.

The cause of this was a delay that prompted the GAs to tell everyone who was on that 1PM to take the 2PM which was supposed to leave on time while the 1PM was still indefinite. Since we had a checked bag on the 1PM and if we took the 2PM would (from hard experiences on that route) likely need to wait for that 1PM anyhow, we decided to stay stuck. Since I could see on Flight Aware that the incoming's Mx was fixed and it was now in the air, I figured it would not be a very long delay. But, in the interim, most of the pax had changed to the 2PM. The amusing part was that the equipment for the 1PM arrived moments before the 2PM pushed back and it was hustled out of there so quickly that it arrived LGA before the 2PM.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:37 am

Its important to remember that from a network planning/revenue management perspective, not every leg matters.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I do wonder if the loads to SEA are strong. I flew ORD-SEA and back at non peak times, and both C+ and Y we're only a third full.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm still attempting to figure out the meaning of this post.
Renes Points and Delta Dude like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:48 am

It says a lot about how good the yield/load management of airlines has become that this is such a rarity now in the U.S. that people create threads about it. I remember times when you were more surprised if the flight was mostly full.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I do wonder if the loads to SEA are strong. I flew ORD-SEA and back at non peak times, and both C+ and Y we're only a third full.
The flight to SEA was full.

Even accounting for the 11pm - midnight arrival into BOS, Saturday travel, flight load of 23% is rare for a TRANSCON flight these days.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun on both legs, and enjoyed poor man's F on the way back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.