My First DL Upgrade! What to expect?

Old May 4, 2018, 1:52 am

What's the deal with tipping? The first time I got an upgrade, the onboard masseuse was clearly expecting a tip but I had no cash, so it was very awkward, particularly as the massage had ended so well. I gave her a JWD cert.

On the next upgrade I thought I now understood that tipping is generally expected, but the onboard chef and he said he wasn't allowed to accept tips. At the end of the flight I just handed a bundle of cash to the captain and asked him to divide among the team it as he saw fit. Is this the normal way to do it?
Old May 4, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The OP is not an idiot. He would not have wasted everyone's time with his important questions had he not received such a "welcome to the opulent splendor of Delta First Class" email and then confirmed his seating in Row 1.
However DL assumes it's passengers are idiots. Sending emails congratulating them on being "upgraded to the splendor of Comfort+" assigning row 1 on a CRJ.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:35 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
On my last flight I had some problems with the lock on my first class suite door. You may want to have them check it prior to departure (or at least get them to leave you an extra bottle of wine in case you’re stuck in there).
Old May 4, 2018, 7:09 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by lovecabo
On my last flight I had some problems with the lock on my first class suite door. You may want to have them check it prior to departure (or at least get them to leave you an extra bottle of wine in case you’re stuck in there).
Why are you opening your own door? Your personal onboard concierge should be standing by the door during the whole flight to open the door every time you're ready to enter or exit!
Old May 4, 2018, 7:46 am

They will certainly give you slippers, so you won't have to wear your diamond shoes for the whole flight.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
You are going to really enjoy the onboard shower. It's divine.
I thought the onboard shower was a seasonal offering, available free of charge to all window seat passengers (regardless of class) on 717's flying from humid markets between May-August.

Has there been another devaluation?
Old May 4, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Suzzin
They will certainly give you slippers, so you won't have to wear your diamond shoes for the whole flight.
You might be right, because if I had ruby slippers, I wouldn't be flying commercial.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by captaink
I thought the onboard shower was a seasonal offering, available free of charge to all window seat passengers (regardless of class) on 717's flying from humid markets between May-August.

Has there been another devaluation?
Well if you were flying a 737-900ER, the F lav sink provides an onboard shower (waist down) free of charge for anyone trying to wash their hands.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Don't forget to book your shower as soon as possible, because they get popular before landing. Remember you only get 5 minutes of water, and 30 min in the shower spa. Oh wait, that's on the Emirates A380.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
What time should I expect the car service to arrive? No one from DL has contacted me to make arrangements, and I'd like to experience the special upgraded passenger car service to the airport.
Well when you are flying from OAK they just taxi right up Telegraph, so you just wait outside on the lawn. Kind of like a school bus.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pro tip: get an extra bag of almonds from the basket. They're good.
manacit likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Remember to leave space in your carryon to bring back the gift basket and signed/framed photo of Ed B. and all the other door prizes.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:32 pm

I'm super excited to hear of your celebrity sightings! Be sure to act cool.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:31 pm

The turn-down service over Paso Robles is simply fabulous. Please enjoy your journey.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
The turn-down service over Paso Robles is simply fabulous. Please enjoy your journey.
Yeah, those white chocolate covered strawberries are an especially nice touch, especially when accompanied by a glass of the XO cognac (or if you prefer, more of the vintage Dom/Krug champagne, depending on whether it's an even or odd flight number since DL no longer stocks both on the smaller aircraft).

BTW, I've met the OP and he certainly isn't stupid so I know he can tell the difference between Krug and Dom. Unfortunately the same isn't true for most FAs--knowing their wine, that is, as this isn't a comment on the stupidity or otherwise of FAs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.