Delta customer service hold times

Reply

Old May 1, 18, 8:36 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SLC
Programs: Delta, Hilton
Posts: 31
Delta customer service hold times

I used to almost enjoy calling Delta customer service because I usually got right through, but my batting average over the last 6 months has been awful - more often than not, I'm being told "hold time greater than two hours". Granted I dropped from Gold to Silver this year, but I don't remember having this problem when I was silver the year before that. I get it when there is some huge noreaster, but I'm not sure what cataclysmic event is happening tonight that the hold time is so damn long (>2 hours). Has anyone else noticed a dramatic change in hold times? Is the difference in service between gold and silver dramatic?

Finally, I heard in the past that Asian call centers could be an alternative that offer good service. Is it possible to call a different call center about a domestic US itinerary and if so, where do you recommend?
Saribo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 18, 8:42 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,494
I have noticed the same. Itís no longer an instant pickup as a PM. Usually a few minute wait each time.

Iíd guess that DL has quietly downsized its CS staff. Silly, since DL has the least useful online tools of all the carriers. Itís frustrating.
WWads is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 18, 9:05 pm
  #3  
TTT
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 45į North
Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 9,383
Originally Posted by Saribo View Post
Finally, I heard in the past that Asian call centers could be an alternative that offer good service. Is it possible to call a different call center about a domestic US itinerary and if so, where do you recommend?
Yes you can call. Singapore reservations is usually good. Call via Skype. IIRC they are open 24 hours.
TTT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 18, 9:58 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Now: SAT. Previously: SEA, DAY/CVG
Programs: Delta PM
Posts: 5,020
Originally Posted by Saribo View Post
I used to almost enjoy calling Delta customer service because I usually got right through, but my batting average over the last 6 months has been awful - more often than not, I'm being told "hold time greater than two hours". Granted I dropped from Gold to Silver this year, but I don't remember having this problem when I was silver the year before that. I get it when there is some huge noreaster, but I'm not sure what cataclysmic event is happening tonight that the hold time is so damn long (>2 hours). Has anyone else noticed a dramatic change in hold times? Is the difference in service between gold and silver dramatic?

Finally, I heard in the past that Asian call centers could be an alternative that offer good service. Is it possible to call a different call center about a domestic US itinerary and if so, where do you recommend?
I had issues two weekends ago while trying to call and when I mentioned the wait times to the agent, she said the Air France strikes are causing the issues. Any calls from the US as well as many calls within Europe were (are) getting directed to DL agents on this side of the pond, overwhelming DLís system and the agents. She said itís frustrating because she had received many calls from those in Europe regarding infra-Europe cancellations and DL agents on this side of the pond couldnít do anything about it.

AF is a decent airline when theyíre actually flying but the issue is that theyíre on strike so often that booking on AF is now a serious risk.
strickerj likes this.
ATOBTTR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 18, 5:30 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashville
Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond SPG Lifetime Plat Marriott Plat AMB Hertz PC
Posts: 5,807
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
I have noticed the same. Itís no longer an instant pickup as a PM. Usually a few minute wait each time.

Iíd guess that DL has quietly downsized its CS staff. Silly, since DL has the least useful online tools of all the carriers. Itís frustrating.
Yes even as a DM today and yesterday it has been about 10 minutes. Where are I rarely heard anything except with major weather delays.
troyintn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 18, 6:30 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Posts: 1,774
Is the OP talking about getting through to post-travel Customer Service or pre/during travel Reservations? These are two different groups with different hold times.
btonkid12345 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 18, 7:32 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SLC
Programs: Delta, Hilton
Posts: 31
I was talking about calling to change a reservation. A two hour schedule change to one of my flights required me to call. The other thing that is weird is that my calls are handled totally differently even though Iím calling the same number. When I called again this morning I got totally different automated questions and the system offered to call me back when it was my turn, which didnít happen last night.
Saribo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 18, 7:13 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1
Angry Ridiculous Platinum Customer Service from Delta

I have also been experiencing extraordinarily long wait times with the US Platinum Customer Service desk. Most of the time it's 50 minutes or so, but I've had to wait over an hour and a half for a call back.

I saw a suggestion on this site to call the Korean line, so I did. Sure enough, I waited no longer than 2 minutes for a callback.

Delta, you'd better get your call bank situation fixed. I'm not happy, and I'm sure that a lot of other people are not happy as well!
pmcgavic is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread