Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

$2 short for status - Delta doesn't budge

$2 short for status - Delta doesn't budge

Old May 2, 2018, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
While I certainly understand why this would be upsetting to someone new, one needs to be realistic and understand that Delta and other large airlines have several thousand agents to handle the millions of customers they have. There's no way around the fact that there's going to be a lot of turnover there and keeping track of all the details and minutiae of the program is going to be challenging for these agents. You will find many similar stories on FT of people getting burned by agents giving out bad info, and it's really nothing personal or unique to Delta. I'd take this as a learning lesson and not necessarily completely write-off DL. While it might not seem fair, one really needs to learn as much about the workings and details of the program for themselves and should never rely solely on the advice of agents. If you still have questions, FT is an excellent resource as it has passengers with many years of real world experience and actual skin in the game (unlike the agents).
Part of the problem also is that agents are under tremendous pressure to handle calls quickly, at least on average. In addition to not having the time to look stuff up, they also seem to be trained to avoid saying "I don't know." As a result, they make up something to end the call rather than bothering to verify the answer to a question. In fact, I strongly suspect that some agents will make up stuff when then know the correct answer if they fear that giving the correct answer will require more of their time on the call.

It's sad, but this is the reality we've come to expect from "customer service."
MrAndy1369 and strickerj like this.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Syzygies
I keep a screen grab of the "Mileage Estimator" with details expanded, for every purchase. One can see this before completing the purchase, so if one forgets or buys over the phone, one can duplicate the information. The word "Estimator" is troubling, but so far these grabs have never been wrong for me. (I too track everything in a spreadsheet. I once made United 1K by $38. That's my idea of cutting it close.)
This is a GREAT tip because I think many of us have fallen victim to this. The airlines have made it way too complicated for people to figure these programs out now, and they really should be more lenient in some situations. I mean $2?!?! come on!
strickerj likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
The airlines have made it way too complicated for people to figure these programs out now, and they really should be more lenient in some situations. I mean $2?!?! come on!

This. It's important to remember that DL's convoluted system is not one which most people are going to take the time to try to understand and which many people are going to easily feel confused or even duped by.

MQDs, MQMs, RDMs, medallion status, gold and platinum credit cards, bonus miles that don't count towards MQMs, MQD waivers, ST elite and elite+, program years, status matches, etc. They really have created a beast of a system that is becoming harder and harder to grasp. For many people grasping the difference between just RDM and MQM in the old system was difficult enough. A previous poster said something like doing simple arithmetic is all that is required, and that OP should have done so. Please, this thing is starting to look the US tax code!
strickerj likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Rules are rules and you should never expect a break on the rules. It's great when you do get some leniency, but don't expect it.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rules are meant to be broken. It's often reasonable to expect a break in the rules.

They can even have an unpublished "grace" amount, so if you're within, say, 50 MQD of the threshhold, it will qualify. That way there's no slippery slope. But I guess they choose not to.

AA used to have a 50-mile "grace distance" for using 500-mile upgrade coupons- so if the flight distance was 1,049 miles they'd only require 2 upgrade coupons. If it was 1,051 it would be 3 coupons. (They stopped the grace amount when they stopped requiring any coupons for flights under 500 miles, probably a favorable trade.)

And DL's MQD calculations can definitely be screwy. I recently flew JFK-SLC in first and SLC-JFK in coach. The coach segment was particularly inexpensive, while the FC segment was probably 2-3x the price of that. But both legs posted with the same MQDs. They clearly know how the fare is built, but the system didn't seem to care. Frankly, it didn't matter to me, but if say the ticket crossed 12/31, this could definitely have messed someone up.
Similarly, if you have a mixed ticket with DL-marketed and partner-marketed segments, they need to allocate the dollars to the DL-marketed segment. It's not clear how they do this (I didn't bother to try and determine it in my case, as I have way more MQDs vs. MQMs relative to the status thresholds.

So, IMHO, this is why there should be some leniency/forgiveness built into the system.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This. It's important to remember that DL's convoluted system is not one which most people are going to take the time to try to understand and which many people are going to easily feel confused or even duped by.

MQDs, MQMs, RDMs, medallion status, gold and platinum credit cards, bonus miles that don't count towards MQMs, MQD waivers, ST elite and elite+, program years, status matches, etc. They really have created a beast of a system that is becoming harder and harder to grasp. For many people grasping the difference between just RDM and MQM in the old system was difficult enough. A previous poster said something like doing simple arithmetic is all that is required, and that OP should have done so. Please, this thing is starting to look the US tax code!
Whether its frequent flyer programs or heavy machinery, if you aren't going to take the time to figure out how it works, you probably shouldn't be using it. If you aren't going to invest the time to figure out how to qualify, I don't see how you would invest the time to reap any of the benefits. I have taken the time to figure out how the program can benefit me by reading through the details and the fine print and as a result, I receive significant benefits and significantly improve my travel experience, but it is a significant investment of time (perhaps one that you could make while sitting on the airplane).
Old May 2, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
Whether its frequent flyer programs or heavy machinery, if you aren't going to take the time to figure out how it works, you probably shouldn't be using it..

LOL! Are you really comparing the use of something that could maim or kill you if used improperly with a travel company loyalty program? Thanks for the entertainment.
msglsmo likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by pvn
This isn't about minutia, though. MQD is a foundational aspect of the qualification process, and it's not very complicated. It's absolutely insane to think it's too challenging for agents to be aware of it.
Yup. If the OP hadn't asked the agent, I'm not sure I'd have much sympathy, but given the situation I definitely do.

OP may not have gone about verifying the MQD the best way, but he did try. If he hasn't tried asking customer service to try to track down a recording of the phone call, that might be my next step.

And PSA: If you're confused about any aspect of the program and need an important answer from an agent, ask via email or twitter DM. I strongly suspect that if OP had that record, Delta would be granting the exception.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by pvn
This isn't about minutia, though. MQD is a foundational aspect of the qualification process, and it's not very complicated.
It's actually quite complicated since only certain things count and there's different ways of calculating depending on how you buy the ticket, made obvious by the discussion upthread of Delta's own tool not being able to give reliable answers.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
LOL! Are you really comparing the use of something that could maim or kill you if used improperly with a travel company loyalty program? Thanks for the entertainment.
It was the only analogy I could think of FF programs have become convoluted, but there are a lot of matters in society, especially financial and insurance products, that have become even more convoluted and that can have significant downside risk (like losing your house) if you don't understand what you are getting into. Unfortunately, things have gotten to the point where you need to assess the risk of everything you do (no matter how small in the grand scheme of things you think it is) and approach things carefully, like you would heavy machinery. You have to be self-reliant, read the fine print, and double-check everything that is given to you - you cannot assume anything is correct, but also have to balance the time invested with the upside/downside risk. Unfortunately, I have learned the hard way when I spent a few hours coming through a document and found calculations to be off by many thousand and many more hours fighting to get that money and I have see others learn the hard way with much worse penalties.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
It was the only analogy I could think of FF programs have become convoluted, but there are a lot of matters in society, especially financial and insurance products, that have become even more convoluted and that can have significant downside risk (like losing your house) if you don't understand what you are getting into. Unfortunately, things have gotten to the point where you need to assess the risk of everything you do (no matter how small in the grand scheme of things you think it is) and approach things carefully, like you would heavy machinery. You have to be self-reliant, read the fine print, and double-check everything that is given to you - you cannot assume anything is correct, but also have to balance the time invested with the upside/downside risk. Unfortunately, I have learned the hard way when I spent a few hours coming through a document and found calculations to be off by many thousand and many more hours fighting to get that money and I have see others learn the hard way with much worse penalties.

I just don't see the risk here, except I guess if you are taking mileage runs, then you are out the money for that trip.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta Plat
This reminds me of the time my gas station had a special free car wash with 20 dollar gas purchase.

I pumped my gas and it clicked saying it was full at 19.42. I squeezed and squeezed the pump and it got to 19.99 and wouldn't go anymore. Needless to say I was pissed but figured hey 1 cent so I figured I'd ask if I could get the wash anyway.
They denied my free car wash
Old May 2, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by Often1
He should go back through his e-ticket receipts and calculate the values on a spread sheet.
Or perhaps she should. The uncertainty can be eliminated by saying "you."

Why not just address people directly?
Old May 2, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
This reminds me of the time my gas station had a special free car wash with 20 dollar gas purchase.

I pumped my gas and it clicked saying it was full at 19.42. I squeezed and squeezed the pump and it got to 19.99 and wouldn't go anymore. Needless to say I was pissed but figured hey 1 cent so I figured I'd ask if I could get the wash anyway.
They denied my free car wash
LOL. That's really frustrating especially since if they didn't do that stupid thing where they price in 1/10ths of a penny, you'd probably have hit $20 even.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:59 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jordyn
It's actually quite complicated since only certain things count and there's different ways of calculating depending on how you buy the ticket, made obvious by the discussion upthread of Delta's own tool not being able to give reliable answers.
Yes, only certain things count towards MQDs but it doesn't require a differential equation to "calculate" it. No calculations are required at all, and it's NOT too much to expect that agents of the company have an understanding of what counts towards it. There's no secret decoder ring. People in this thread are massively overcomplicating this to make excuses for Delta here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.