Wiki Posts
Search

Questions! First time in D1...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Questions! First time in D1...

Apologies if this information is present in multiple other threads, but I'm special! Nah, I just like engaging with people myself - makes the information more meaningful.

So, I make a trip to Scotland every ~2 years in Mid-April. Edinburgh/Islay in some fashion. Didn't think a trip was going to happen this year because of finances, but that is resolving and I snagged a good (at least IMO) reward ticket. 136k for DTW-JFK-EDI in C+ and return EDI-JFK-DTW in D1/F. Cool!

Being DL Amex Gold, I'll use SC in JFK on the way there (for $29) between flights, but I have several questions regarding my return trip in D1:

1) Preordering for D1 meals is now a thing yes? So it doesn't matter which seat I take from a meal choice standpoint? The itinerary includes"Dinner, Lunch" for meals served. Given it's a 10:55AM departure and a 1:05PM arrival to JFK, what meals are actually served? Do I get to pre-order for all meals served?

2) My understanding is I would receive complimentary SC access in JFK on my return (for multiple SC's, too?). Do I get complimentary access to any other lounges in JFK with my intl biz ticket?

3) Which seat would be best for a tall D1 newbie? I have 1B selected (75S) right now - I don't like having to worry about maneuvering around/over people, and the proximity to food/booze providers seems beneficial. Likely wouldn't sleep so noise shouldn't be too big of a distraction. Should I expect D1 to fill up? Right now 8/16.

Thanks, everyone!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1) Yes, you'll get an email invitation to preorder, with a link, a couple days before departure. You preorder the main course (usually a choice of four, including one vegetarian and one fish and one red meat and one chicken usually) for the main meal, probably called dinner, which will be served about an hour after takeoff. The second meal, about an hour or so before landing, will be more like a snack and have two choices with no preorder.

2) You get free access (due to the D1 TATL ticket) to SCs in T2 and T4 of JFK. (You would also be entitled to use some partner lounges in T1 such as AF, AZ, and KE, but TSA won't let you enter T1 airside if you're not departing from T1.) You should also be able to use SCs at DTW upon arrivial (since you'll already be airside there) and if DL uses some lounge at EDI for D1, of course you can use it. Ask at check in at EDI for details, as sometimes you show your boarding pass and at other airports you must have a lounge invitation card to enter.

3) On most routes, D1 fills with nonrevs even if the seat map looks empty, but I'm not so sure about this route. It probably depends on day of week as well as time of the year. April would be shoulder season, but of course there's an uptick in leisure travel and a decrease in business travel around Easter.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by griffy208
Apologies if this information is present in multiple other threads, but I'm special! Nah, I just like engaging with people myself - makes the information more meaningful.

So, I make a trip to Scotland every ~2 years in Mid-April. Edinburgh/Islay in some fashion. Didn't think a trip was going to happen this year because of finances, but that is resolving and I snagged a good (at least IMO) reward ticket. 136k for DTW-JFK-EDI in C+ and return EDI-JFK-DTW in D1/F. Cool!

Being DL Amex Gold, I'll use SC in JFK on the way there (for $29) between flights, but I have several questions regarding my return trip in D1:

1) Preordering for D1 meals is now a thing yes? So it doesn't matter which seat I take from a meal choice standpoint? The itinerary includes"Dinner, Lunch" for meals served. Given it's a 10:55AM departure and a 1:05PM arrival to JFK, what meals are actually served? Do I get to pre-order for all meals served?

2) My understanding is I would receive complimentary SC access in JFK on my return (for multiple SC's, too?). Do I get complimentary access to any other lounges in JFK with my intl biz ticket?

3) Which seat would be best for a tall D1 newbie? I have 1B selected (75S) right now - I don't like having to worry about maneuvering around/over people, and the proximity to food/booze providers seems beneficial. Likely wouldn't sleep so noise shouldn't be too big of a distraction. Should I expect D1 to fill up? Right now 8/16.

Thanks, everyone!
Be aware: because of overcrowding, you may not be able to buy a $29 day pass at T4 at JFK. You could always take the jitney over to T2 if that happens to see if you can access that club as it tends to be less busy. (Although, it's inferior in offerings).

Preordering is a thing in certain markets. You'll be served a lunch entree on your return. Absent a special meal request, preordering is only for the main meal (lunch in your case).

There's no other club that will give you access at JFK. You're limited physically to T4 and T2 and skyclubs are the ones that handle Sky Team J passengers. This may be different in other airports where you can physically access the club.

You will get access at a club in EDI, JFK and presumably also DTW since you're connecting off of an international J segment.

Row 1 is the best on the 75S IMO. D1 will most certainly be full.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for the detailed responses.

I haven't had an issue getting into the JFK T4 SC before but wouldn't mind going over to T2. I mainly want a shower and some food/drink before I depart. As far as using clubs at EDI/DTW on the return, I probably won't have time, but will make sure I scope out my options, just in case.

Last time I flew out, the JFK-EDI D1 cabin was about 75% full. It would be amazing to get two seats to myself...

I checked the same route/ticket config again the day after I booked and it was 74k miles more. Crazy how the redemption values fluctuate!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Thank you both for the detailed responses.

I haven't had an issue getting into the JFK T4 SC before but wouldn't mind going over to T2. I mainly want a shower and some food/drink before I depart. As far as using clubs at EDI/DTW on the return, I probably won't have time, but will make sure I scope out my options, just in case.

Last time I flew out, the JFK-EDI D1 cabin was about 75% full. It would be amazing to get two seats to myself...

I checked the same route/ticket config again the day after I booked and it was 74k miles more. Crazy how the redemption values fluctuate!
Unless you can’t actually get in to T4 due to overcrowding, I wouldn’t bother venturing over to T2. T2 is a bit of a dump, especially compared to T4. The one plus is T2 can sometime be quieter for that reason (and passengers in T2 may opt to go to T4 for the nicer club) but otherwise you aren’t missing anything by going to T2. Of course if your return to DTW goes out of T2 it may be worth going over there so you’re already in the correct terminal.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Asking because I don't know: You can now pre-order D1 meals on inbound flights (to US)? I've only gotten it on outbound flights but my last "scheduled" D1 inbound was last summer.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Asking because I don't know: You can now pre-order D1 meals on inbound flights (to US)? I've only gotten it on outbound flights but my last "scheduled" D1 inbound was last summer.
I'll have to let you know, but I don't see why direction should matter. Though with Delta it takes far less than that to justify a weird policy...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Unless you can’t actually get in to T4 due to overcrowding, I wouldn’t bother venturing over to T2. T2 is a bit of a dump, especially compared to T4. The one plus is T2 can sometime be quieter for that reason (and passengers in T2 may opt to go to T4 for the nicer club) but otherwise you aren’t missing anything by going to T2. Of course if your return to DTW goes out of T2 it may be worth going over there so you’re already in the correct terminal.
Fair... I imagine I'll depart from T4. I also imagine I won't have any problems getting into the SC. It'll be about 2:30 on a Saturday afternoon. But, if it's full I'll be going to T2 for sure as i have a 5 HR layover...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:55 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
On your return you should also have access to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in JFK T4.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:56 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
So, I make a trip to Scotland every ~2 years in Mid-April. Edinburgh/Islay in some fashion.
Please bring me back some Scotch

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Yep, I pre-ordered AMS-DTW in October.
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:58 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Be aware: because of overcrowding, you may not be able to buy a $29 day pass at T4 at JFK. You could always take the jitney over to T2 if that happens to see if you can access that club as it tends to be less busy. (Although, it's inferior in offerings).
FWIW I find the differences between T4 and T2 clubs to be negligible in most cases. T4 has showers and the deck (and the JFK deck is overrated IMO compared to (eg) ATL F). Otherwise they're essentially interchangeable.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
In my experience the pre-ordering of D1 meals is hit and miss in terms of actually getting the option to pre-order. When I do, I always get what I ordered.

Row 1 on the 75S is my favorite and I've taken that equipment DCA-LAX-DCA several times in the past year.
Don't expect any empty seats. They'll likely fill every one of those in D1.

The SkyClub in T2 at JFK does have showers and isn't bad since they renovated it, but it's nowhere near as nice as T4. If you're not departing from T2 I wouldn't waste the time going over there. When you enter, if they say anything, just make sure you mention you're coming off a D1 flight. Sometimes if they scan your next boarding pass I've seen them miss the international segment.

Enjoy the flight. You'll get a Tumi amenity kit on the plane with a toothbrush/toothpaste and some other items, which is nice on a longer flight.

Last edited by DCAproducer; Jan 9, 2019 at 12:01 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pvn
FWIW I find the differences between T4 and T2 clubs to be negligible in most cases. T4 has showers and the deck (and the JFK deck is overrated IMO compared to (eg) ATL F). Otherwise they're essentially interchangeable.
Interesting, I prefer the JFK deck to ATL F but I've been to it more frequently so maybe at some point this is self-reinforcing

Agree there's not much functional difference between T4/T2 (T2 does have showers as someone noted)...

JFK T4 has better window views even if not in the deck. T2 has a balcony overlooking the lovely scenic interior of the C concourse
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

pvn: I thought partner lounges were no longer allowing this in 2019?
zorak: I will certainly "bring me back some Scotch" ;-)
Zorak likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
pvn: I thought partner lounges were no longer allowing this in 2019?
zorak: I will certainly "bring me back some Scotch" ;-)
You’re still allowed into KL/AF clubs if your method of entry is either as a SkyTeam Elite Plus (which one has a Delta Gold Medallion or higher) on an International ticket or as International Business Class on a SkyTeam airline. It was access as a SkyClub member that was terminated for entry into AF/KL lounges. But as mentioned, since AF uses T1 at JFK which you can’t access unless you have a boarding for a flight/airline flying out of T1, this won’t be an option.

At EDI, looks like you’ll have access to the Aspire Lounge:
https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/l...nburgh%20(EDI)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.