Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AA has Flagship, United has Polaris. Would Delta open a more exclusive lounge network

AA has Flagship, United has Polaris. Would Delta open a more exclusive lounge network

Old May 1, 18, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by salsa View Post
The reason delta has no lounges to match AA Flagship and UA Polaris is delta ain't got no first class intenatioanal cabin. That may come as a surprise to many deltaphiles who have been duped into viewing D1 as first class.
Can we dispense with the nonsense that people are duped into thinking a product sold, marketed, and priced as business class is first class? Seriously, it is one of the dumbest FT canards and it faces stiff, stiff competition.

It should also be noted that Polaris is being introduced to replace F (and existing J products), is pointing to the lounges as relying upon an F cabin more than misses the point.
Old May 1, 18, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by pbarnette View Post

Can we dispense with the nonsense that people are duped into thinking a product sold, marketed, and priced as business class is first class? Seriously, it is one of the dumbest FT canards and it faces stiff, stiff competition.

It should also be noted that Polaris is being introduced to replace F (and existing J products), is pointing to the lounges as relying upon an F cabin more than misses the point.
Also, AA still has three cabins but the Flagship lounge is for all oneworld business-class travelers; LAX has a "room within a room" for first class.
Old May 1, 18, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by pbarnette View Post

In fact, I believe that today is the day that United no longer offers International First Class.
Old May 1, 18, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Also, AA still has three cabins but the Flagship lounge is for all oneworld business-class travelers; LAX has a "room within a room" for first class.
Correct, AA offers "Flagship First Dining" in a separate room within the Flagship Lounges at JFK, LAX, and MIA (DFW coming, I don't think ORD will have as there's little/no F from there). They offer full table service. Reports have been that the FFD at JFK is wonderful, but at LAX not as great. Not sure about MIA.
This is only for 3-class first class passengers (premium transcon or international); business class (premium transcon or int'l) just gets to use the regular Flagship Lounge.
Old May 1, 18, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Since when is the discussion limited to that?
Never. I was responding to a previous comment, just look back a few comments and you'll see.
Old May 1, 18, 3:39 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, United 1k
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
The newer Sky Clubs are quite nice. I think DL believes they are good enough and they do not require a specific J lounge.
I would beg to differ. The AA flagship lounges blow away most every lounge in the US. The booze is all top shelf (and the Bloody Mary bar in the morning is great if you like those). The food has been very good, including a made to order omelette bar in the morning. They even had very good filets one evening. Service is very personal, quick, and attentive if you want it, or invisible if you don’t. I did notice that the cleaning staff (plates, glasses, etc.) have set rounds in the lounge and generally pass by me every five minutes. I must say that AA really exceeded expectations with Flagship.

I personally won’t go to the JFK SkyClub anymore. I usuallly find it an unpleasant experience. Very little food offering, long waits at the bar, horribly overcrowded, and a generally disheveled/ messy feeling. My personal opinion is that Delta has fallen behind and does indeed have a subpar product for international travel. I find the new B lounge in Atlanta to be...blah. No drink chits for international, no place to sit, and generally not relaxing.

Ma and Pa Kettle; well, they’re generally at every airline lounge sneezing on the food offerings.
Old May 1, 18, 3:43 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
We're at the point where people in airline lounges are "kettles".

I think I see what the problem is.
ryanm likes this.
Old May 1, 18, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.6 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
The real question in my mind is how to do thing change without the AMEX waiver next year. I will make it but lots of DM will not.
Old May 1, 18, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jacket1 View Post

I would beg to differ. The AA flagship lounges blow away most every lounge in the US. The booze is all top shelf (and the Bloody Mary bar in the morning is great if you like those). The food has been very good, including a made to order omelette bar in the morning. They even had very good filets one evening. Service is very personal, quick, and attentive if you want it, or invisible if you don’t. I did notice that the cleaning staff (plates, glasses, etc.) have set rounds in the lounge and generally pass by me every five minutes. I must say that AA really exceeded expectations with Flagship.

I personally won’t go to the JFK SkyClub anymore. I usuallly find it an unpleasant experience. Very little food offering, long waits at the bar, horribly overcrowded, and a generally disheveled/ messy feeling. My personal opinion is that Delta has fallen behind and does indeed have a subpar product for international travel. I find the new B lounge in Atlanta to be...blah. No drink chits for international, no place to sit, and generally not relaxing.

Ma and Pa Kettle; well, they’re generally at every airline lounge sneezing on the food offerings.
I don't think the Kettles hang out in the Sky Club. That's hyperbole. But, I do agree that the Sky Clubs are uneven. SEA (A/B) and SFO are my two favorites and there is nothing in ATL, MSP, and SLC that comes close to those two lounges. At least we know that SLC will be replaced in a couple years. The food at SEA and SFO is pretty good. I don't think any American airline lounge will ever match the VS clubhouse at LHR with a menu of yummy food or the CX lounges at HKG.
Old May 1, 18, 6:23 pm

Delta really needs to open some Delta One Lounges. Their Sky Clubs are so IKEA looking which is fine as a general lounge but I like the Polaris style so much better.
Old May 1, 18, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by JFKflyer26 View Post
Delta really needs to open some Delta One Lounges. Their Sky Clubs are so IKEA looking which is fine as a general lounge but I like the Polaris style so much better.

We should be careful what we ask for. The moment D1 lounges are opened is the same moment services are reduced at the other lounges.
Old May 1, 18, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
We should be careful what we ask for. The moment D1 lounges are opened is the same moment services are reduced at the other lounges.
yes, every Delta enhancement seems to come with a cost cut from somewhere else.
Old May 1, 18, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Correct, AA offers "Flagship First Dining" in a separate room within the Flagship Lounges at JFK, LAX, and MIA (DFW coming, I don't think ORD will have as there's little/no F from there). They offer full table service. Reports have been that the FFD at JFK is wonderful, but at LAX not as great. Not sure about MIA.
This is only for 3-class first class passengers (premium transcon or international); business class (premium transcon or int'l) just gets to use the regular Flagship Lounge.
What's really nice is that with AA they provide access to the flagship lounges on domestic flights if you have non-AA oneworld status. I have plat status with Qatar so I'm able to access the flagship lounge even when flying on $40 basic economy fare ORD-JFK
Old May 1, 18, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post

yes, every Delta enhancement seems to come with a cost cut from somewhere else.

Yes to this, but I think in this situation it would be even more extreme. Right now the SC's need to accommodate DL's best customers, including all D1 pax. If d1 pax (and probably 360's and maybe DM's) were granted access to a higher level lounge, the business case for investing in the current lounges would change. They don't have nearly the incentive to keep me, a GM who enters with a Amex plat card, as happy as they do the pax who travels in D1 12 times a year. So, for purely selfish reasons, I like the situation as is.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old May 1, 18, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post

The DL SCs are very hit and miss. ATL B/E/F and JFK are great but the rest of the network are hit or miss. If DL wants to continue to remain on-par with AA and UA (and the international carriers) they should consider premium lounges in their major international gateways (ATL, JFK, LAX, SEA)
I'd take the SFO lounge over any of the ATL ones, including your beloved F, which I found to have a so so food selection, and a very crowded bar.

I've only flown D1 a few times, but here's all it would take to class the lounges up a bit:
(1) Let me eat on a real plate or bowl with a real fork, knife and spoon.
(2) Give me a few drink chits so I can have a preferred beverage.
I'd take that and call it a day.

Search this Thread