Wiki Posts
Search

Long layover at ICN - baggage question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Long layover at ICN - baggage question

In about a month, I will fly SEA-ICN-GUM (Seattle-Incheon [Seoul] - Guam). I will have an 18-hour overnight layover at ICN. SEA-ICN is on Delta (DL199), ICN-GUM is on KAL (DL9038 aka KAL 113). It's all on one Delta ticket. Biz class if that matters.

A couple of questions:

1. With respect to baggage check in, will Delta (1) require me to through-check my bag all the way through to GUM, (2) require me to short-check it only to ICN or (3) give me a choice of through-check vs. short check? I heard a rumor that for layovers between 6-12 hours, you get a choice of through check or short check, and 12+ hours you must short check, but I can find no documentation of this anywhere on delta.com.

2. At Incheon Airport, there is a transit hotel, accessible only to in-transit international passengers who do not clear customs/ immigration. But, it says that if you exit through customs/ immigration, you cannot then return to access the hotel even if you have a reservation. So, if I am required to short-check my luggage to ICN, then am I correct that the transit hotel is not a viable option?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by andrewk829
I heard a rumor that for layovers between 6-12 hours, you get a choice of through check or short check, and 12+ hours you must short check, but I can find no documentation of this anywhere on delta.com.
It's in the International Contract of Carriage, Rule 116.
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL systems will automatically short check if over 12 hours. If between 6-12 it'll through check bags. An agent who knows what they're doing can through check a bag for more than 12 hours. They'll only do it, if like your itinerary there's a transfer to OAL. They won't override the 12hr limit for DL to DL flight transfers.

Other option is when you arrive at ICN, you can goto the KE transfer desk and give them your bag tags. They should be able to collect the bags and tag them the rest of the way, without needing to exit into country.
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
You can check your bag just to ICN given the layover time. That’s no problem at all. As far as hotels go, there are several within a 10 minute shuttle ride from T2, at reasonable prices. Hyatt has their own shuttle bus that runs every 10 minutes or so.
andrewk829 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.