Search

Free bags on Delta codeshare flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:59 pm
SLV
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC
Free bags on Delta codeshare flights

I am planning a trip with my family and see a $500 discount when booking with Alitalia.

The flights are coming up as "Alitalia operated by Delta".

Baggage are showing up as $60 on the Alitalia website.

Would I be able to use the free bags discount from the Amex Platinum Delta card?

Thank you
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SLV
I am planning a trip with my family and see a $500 discount when booking with Alitalia.

The flights are coming up as "Alitalia operated by Delta".

Baggage are showing up as $60 on the Alitalia website.

Would I be able to use the free bags discount from the Amex Platinum Delta card?

Thank you
It depends. Is this the flight you'll be checking the bags in at? If so then you'll be checking in with Delta, and they can enter the waiver. However if you are checking in the bags with another airline and connecting to this flight, then no. Basically when you check in the bags it must be with a DL agent to get the fee waived. You always checkin with the operating airline. Thus if this is the first flight you'll checkin with DL. However if you are connecting to it from an actual AZ flight you will be checking the bags in with AZ.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:23 pm
SLV
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC
Sorry, this is my first time booking through a codeshare on Delta. I normally book direct but I couldn't pass up $2k for the whole family.

Yes, all segments of the trip is "operated by DELTA AIR LINES". I assume I would check my bags with Delta if that's the case.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SLV
Sorry, this is my first time booking through a codeshare on Delta. I normally book direct but I couldn't pass up $2k for the whole family.

Yes, all segments of the trip is "operated by DELTA AIR LINES". I assume I would check my bags with Delta if that's the case.
Correct. Since everything will be done with DL, the system should automatically do the first bag fee. It may not though since AZ bag policy and fees will apply since you're flight is AZ coded. Agent then will have to manually enter the fee waiver. For this reason make sure to bring the card in case the system fails due to the AZ coding.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:48 am

Hi,

I know this is a really old thread but it's the one that's applicable to my situation. Maybe someone still has alerts on it.

Would this still work in 2022? (Getting the agent to manually enter a fee waiver on a codeshare flight operated by Delta.) My flight is Delta metal but marketed by Virgin. When I check in with Delta, if I have the card with me, do you think it's likely that the agent would be willing to put in a fee waiver? I know that officially the fee is not waived if Delta is not the marketing carrier, but in practice is it likely that the agent will be willing to waive it for me?

Also, if one member of my party has a Delta-marketed ticket on the same flight, and a Delta card, would that make them more willing to waive the fee for our other bags even if the rest of us (myself and kids; husband's ticket is Delta-marketed, ours are Virgin-marketed) are on partner-marketed tickets?

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:00 pm

bg49 , did you get any insight into this question (perhaps from real-life experience, if your flight's now happened)? I booked a family trip to the UK this summer on Delta but booked through Virgin Atlantic, assuming I could use the Delta Amex card to get free checked luggage. But I just went to apply for the Amex card and read the fine print:

The first checked bag fee waiver will only be applied on flight segments which originate on a Delta or Delta Connection® carrier when you check-in with Delta for both a Delta marketed and Delta operated flight. Codeshare flights are not eligible.
So that does seem fairly clear. But just like you, I'm hoping that perhaps there's still a chance to avoid paying £100 return per bag…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.