DM or PM for 2019

Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by pvn
lol

I have 32 segments into or out of ATL so far this year, only 5 of them didn't clear, and of those five, 3 were last-minute IRROPs rebookings (literally rebooked after upgrades had been processed) and 1 was a last-second SDS where I only got a seat because somebody no-showed.
I caveated that if you fly off peak you have a chance. I've had 38 segments into or out of Atlanta so far this year and I have had only three clear (two of those were leisure travel where I made it on one leg and the other one was due to IRROPS where a 753 got swapped with a 767). I would have cleared on the IRROPS and one of the two leisure segments as a Platinum - so right now out of 38 segments I have received 1 upgrade extra as a Diamond. For me, that is not sufficient enough to make a difference - hence my claim.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ethernal
I caveated that if you fly off peak you have a chance. I've had 38 segments into or out of Atlanta so far this year and I have had only three clear (two of those were leisure travel where I made it on one leg and the other one was due to IRROPS where a 753 got swapped with a 767). I would have cleared on the IRROPS and one of the two leisure segments as a Platinum - so right now out of 38 segments I have received 1 upgrade extra as a Diamond. For me, that is not sufficient enough to make a difference - hence my claim.
5/5 on Diamond upgrades this year, including ATL-SFO just yesterday. Yes, a mid-day Saturday, but that is a holy-grail and the first time in maybe 30 times I have received it.

I suspect upgrades on Platinum will become almost totally non-existent as the ranks swell with the new Diamond MQD waiver in effect.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by OroroT
I suspect upgrades on Platinum will become almost totally non-existent as the ranks swell with the new Diamond MQD waiver in effect.
Wouldn't the end of the MQD waiver theoretically increase the number of Platinum upgrades? It used to be Platinums competed with MQD waiver Diamonds and would always lose to them - now they compete as Platinums and would win in a head to head against them if they have a higher fare class, etc.

Not that Plats will get regular upgrades out of Atlanta - but you get what I'm saying.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:09 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Wouldn't the end of the MQD waiver theoretically increase the number of Platinum upgrades?
Yes. It can't possibly hurt current platinums (ceteris paribus).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Wouldn't the end of the MQD waiver theoretically increase the number of Platinum upgrades? It used to be Platinums competed with MQD waiver Diamonds and would always lose to them - now they compete as Platinums and would win in a head to head against them if they have a higher fare class, etc.

Not that Plats will get regular upgrades out of Atlanta - but you get what I'm saying.
I'm definitely curious to see what happens to the PM ranks next year. I'm in the same boat as the OP, but will probably gun for DM again. I like it
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:42 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
DM or PM for 2019?

NOLAnwGOLD likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Diamond in Atlanta isn't useful for upgrades, full stop. Don't make any decisions based on that unless you fly off hours (and even then FCM has greatly reduced the opportunity for upgrades there as well).
Ridiculous. My flights are almost always Mondays and Fridays and when I go to/from ATL I am over 80% for the year.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:24 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So seems you are flying domestically too from what I can gather. The RUCs for being PM and as DM you could get 8 more I believe. The best way I've found to use my GUCs is to find flights and fares that I want, call the DM desk and see if they have upgrade seats available and confirm them at the time of booking. It's easiest on KLM I found since usually I'm booking 6+ months out early and they have lots of open Z fares at that time. Delta on the other hand seems to block lots of the upgrade seats off to sell (LAX-HND/LHR) which doesn't help. It's not impossible since I got a LAX-AMS on the upcoming new DL flight to work recently.

In general, Delta has made it really complicated and full of oh sorry, rule #145 ,243.3 doesn't allow that.

Stay at home and not worry about getting DM.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by indufan
Ridiculous. My flights are almost always Mondays and Fridays and when I go to/from ATL I am over 80% for the year.
Are they off hours flights? If you're at an outstation and fly INTO Atlanta at 6 AM, upgrades are more likely. Similarly if you fly out of Atlanta in the middle of the day you are more likely to get upgraded. This is the definition of off hours.

If you are getting regularly upgraded during peak hours please let me know which routes so I can get in on the action 😂
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I've said that it depends on your individual situation....

if you've read this far down and are still on the fence, then my suggestion is:

if you think you can requal platinum for 2020 _without_ the 50k rollover, then go ahead and go for Diamond for '19 and see for yourself how much you like it.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are they off hours flights? If you're at an outstation and fly INTO Atlanta at 6 AM, upgrades are more likely. Similarly if you fly out of Atlanta in the middle of the day you are more likely to get upgraded. This is the definition of off hours.
I am upgraded to ATL at 2 PM today which is typical. I am out of ATL at 7:30 PM tonight and upgraded in advance. A week ago Friday, I was upgraded into ATL on a 10 AM departure and upgraded out of ATL at 2 PM or so.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
I just think that with the new requirement on the Amex Card Spend there will be considerably less Diamonds next year, especially those that travel just domestically. So I would recommend going for it and getting a thinned out version of the Diamond herd. If you are still not getting upgrades next year, then it probably doesnt make sense for many of us to try, and Delta would have done what they have wanted to do for awhile.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by indufan
I am upgraded to ATL at 2 PM today which is typical. I am out of ATL at 7:30 PM tonight and upgraded in advance. A week ago Friday, I was upgraded into ATL on a 10 AM departure and upgraded out of ATL at 2 PM or so.
All of those are off-peak with the arguable exception of 7:30 PM tonight.

I just think that with the new requirement on the Amex Card Spend there will be considerably less Diamonds next year, especially those that travel just domestically. So I would recommend going for it and getting a thinned out version of the Diamond herd. If you are still not getting upgrades next year, then it probably doesnt make sense for many of us to try, and Delta would have done what they have wanted to do for awhile.
I think FT dramatically overestimates the number of MQD Waiver Diamonds. The majority of Delta Diamonds are hub captives and - outside of JFK - pay a price for that. Those in outstations are more likely to use the waiver (due to cheaper flights from connection competition) but are also less likely to be in competition for upgrades from hub-captive Diamonds. I think the overall impact will be smaller than most people think, especially with the ongoing aggressive FCM.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

With a large number of current DMs becoming PMs next year due to the increased AmEx spend requirement for the MQD waiver, I would expect there to be not only more PMs but also more PM upgrades to FC because some flights will have fewer DMs than upgrade seats available, unless of course DL proceeds to pursue FCM even more aggressively. The movement of DMs to PM will mean that PMs traveling on high fare classes will get some FC upgrades, whether or not they previously were DM or PM, while those using lower fare classes (including presumably most of the former DMs since they will become PMs partly because they cannot meet the MQD requirement for DM/PM) won't see many upgrades into FC.

With a bigger pool of people lumped together into the PM status level, within the group the second priority item, namely fare class, will become crucial, and people might notice more flights using tie breakers that are lower on the list, so it might make more difference on the bubble for a PM to have the Reserve card, be a corporate traveler, etc.
GoAmtrak likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All of those are off-peak with the arguable exception of 7:30 PM tonight.
Is there a 90 minute window a week you consider peak? You pointed out 6 AM Monday not being peak. I never fly at that time but it is indeed peak.
I think FT dramatically overestimates the number of MQD Waiver Diamonds. The majority of Delta Diamonds are hub captives and - outside of JFK - pay a price for that. Those in outstations are more likely to use the waiver (due to cheaper flights from connection competition) but are also less likely to be in competition for upgrades from hub-captive Diamonds. I think the overall impact will be smaller than most people think, especially with the ongoing aggressive FCM.
I agree that the increased waiver will not make much of a difference. But I also think you underestimate the role of non-hub Diamonds. Many days, they are taking two upgrades while a hub captive is just making one. AND, let's be clear, hub captive pricing is not even close to what it once was. Especially with WN in the ATL market now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.