FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   6 1/2 hour LAX layover. What lounge? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1906554-6-1-2-hour-lax-layover-what-lounge.html)

mattya9 Apr 28, 2018 1:09 pm

6 1/2 hour LAX layover. What lounge?

The Mrs' and I have quite the long layover at LAX and I'm wondering what the best lounge option would be for us to kill time? Arrive on DL at 7:15am and the next flight is not until 1:40pm. We are then flying in business class on KLM from LAX. I'm thinking of just parking the bus in the T2 sky club until it's time to head over to TBIT to check in. What says good ol' FT?

OPS

ATLConsultant Apr 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Well, you're flying KLM on biz out of LAX so the cheapest option is the Delta Sky Club -- since it is free.

flyerCO Apr 28, 2018 1:17 pm

SC in T2 is best. The KE lounge in TBIT is junk.

ATOBTTR Apr 28, 2018 1:59 pm

In-N-Out

;)

mcgahat Apr 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 29693805)
In-N-Out

;)

That would be fine as long as they dont want to eat but maybe just sit in the park and watch some planes come in. I think they open at like 10? It is not a bad walk over there in my opinion. I would opt for Manhattan Beach as it is a quick Uber ride away. Either of those options beats sitting at the airport in my opinion.

jrl767 Apr 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat (Post 29693838)
... I would opt for Manhattan Beach as it is a quick Uber ride away. ... beats sitting at the airport in my opinion.

I’d also recommend the Main Street section of El Segundo (even closer than Manhattan Beach); Blue Butterfly is a great stop for for coffee and breakfast

jdrtravel Apr 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Agree that if you arrive on time you should consider leaving LAX. The lounge situation is not great right now and even the most amazing lounge gets a bit old after a couple of hours. I personally don't think that in and out is worth it. Downtown Manhattan beach is quaint with lots of places to eat, and 15 minutes away, 30 in bad traffic. There is this little town square area with several restaurants. I don't know what it's called but one of the cafes there is the chain french bakery & cafe Le Pain Quotidien. Le Pain is fine and reliable, but I say it more as a way to help you get the right area, there are probably better places. It's nice to be by the water.

Colin Apr 28, 2018 4:49 pm

from T2, exit terminal lower and turn left.
under 10 minute walk to Hyatt.
Uber pickup will be fast, easy, and 5 bucks cheaper.

at those hours, Virgin lounge is best - access via PriorityPass.

jdrtravel Apr 28, 2018 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 29694210)

You cannot access to Virgin Atlantic lounge through PP. I stand corrected, did not realize it is open in the morning hours to PP holders. Great to know.

spongenotbob Apr 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by mattya9 (Post 29693671)
The Mrs' and I have quite the long layover at LAX and I'm wondering what the best lounge option would be for us to kill time? Arrive on DL at 7:15am and the next flight is not until 1:40pm. We are then flying in business class on KLM from LAX. I'm thinking of just parking the bus in the T2 sky club until it's time to head over to TBIT to check in. What says good ol' FT?

OPS

Uber/Lyft down to Hermosa Beach Pier. Best parts of LA, enjoy!

GMTmin8 Apr 28, 2018 6:13 pm

If flying on a weekend MB suggestions

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29694194)
.... Downtown Manhattan beach is quaint with lots of places to eat, and ...... there are probably better places. It's nice to be by the water.

Great spots for brunch after a walk on the beach:
Love and Salt
MB Post

Both open at 10AM on weeekends, are $$, and need reservations to get a table on time.

If TBIT is crowded and you have precheck/clear, make your way to T4 after check in and walk back to TBIT airside (unless this been fixed since I was last there.)

NOLAnwGOLD Apr 28, 2018 6:13 pm

So the best is to go to the beach (eg Venice, Manhattan, Marina Del Rey, Hermosa) since it's close and lovely. Each has it's own very distinctive character.

KLM when we flew in Biz class in December had switched from the horrible KAL lounge to the nice Oneworld Biz lounge which was quite nice (good hot food, lots of drink options, real champagne).

You can also go to the Delta T2 lounge (avoid the T3 since it's too small) either via walking over to T2 from TBIT check-in (or if you have checked in mobile and don't have bags to check) or via the bus connector (gate 133 at TBIT to T2). It's a good Delta lounge in terms of fresh food, soups, Mac & cheese, nice self serve bar (good time, top shelf booze such as Grey Goose, local beers), showers and nice modern space.

In n Out is also fun cuz it's right at the end of the runway so you get all the airplanes flying overhead as they land. Fun for a little while but not sure about 6 hours.

Side note VS via PP has minimal offerings but nice space. VS via VS/DL going to UK is THE BEST! But you don't get access flying KLM.

mattya9 Apr 29, 2018 7:21 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD (Post 29694407)
So the best is to go to the beach (eg Venice, Manhattan, Marina Del Rey, Hermosa) since it's close and lovely. Each has it's own very distinctive character.

KLM when we flew in Biz class in December had switched from the horrible KAL lounge to the nice Oneworld Biz lounge which was quite nice (good hot food, lots of drink options, real champagne).

You can also go to the Delta T2 lounge (avoid the T3 since it's too small) either via walking over to T2 from TBIT check-in (or if you have checked in mobile and don't have bags to check) or via the bus connector (gate 133 at TBIT to T2). It's a good Delta lounge in terms of fresh food, soups, Mac & cheese, nice self serve bar (good time, top shelf booze such as Grey Goose, local beers), showers and nice modern space.

In n Out is also fun cuz it's right at the end of the runway so you get all the airplanes flying overhead as they land. Fun for a little while but not sure about 6 hours.

Side note VS via PP has minimal offerings but nice space. VS via VS/DL going to UK is THE BEST! But you don't get access flying KLM.

Thanks for the responses everyone! How did you get access to the Oneworld lounge flying KLM business? I would be interested in that even if it's just for 30 minutes before boarding (after trying one of the restaurants off property).

OPS

mot29 Apr 29, 2018 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 29694210)

Virgin Lounge is comfortable and great views, but at least in my early morning experience last November the food and beverage selection was not at all good. Jug coffee (the espresso machine wasn't turned on) and packaged pastry. Not the real Virgin experience.

NOLAnwGOLD Apr 30, 2018 12:57 am

That was what they offered when I checked in at TBIT. It was me and my BF in biz (also Delta DM) and our housemate in Econ (a Delta PM) and he was invited in as well. They said they had just changed their lounge from KAL recently (this flight was Thanksgiving 2017). I was expecting issues at the OW since he wasn't in biz but no mention at all. We just had our BP too, no special ticket.