Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta charged 6,000 dollars to my credit card

Delta charged 6,000 dollars to my credit card

Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:29 pm

Mutiple $1500 records are not actual charges as others mentioned, but pre-authorisations. They taken down your available credit but you can not even dispute them until they become real transaction (or fall off). So wait a few days and if they do not fall off, call your VISA again and dispute - there is no rush unless you don't have other funds available. In my experience its much easier to do deal with CC issuer than airline, which lost record of these transactions.

I had a very similar issue with Thai and Amex. When I called Amex first time, the transactions were still pending (like in yiur case) and could not be disputed. Amex had some way to annotate transactions so that I would get email when they go through or fall off. All but one fell off and when the reminding charge became real charge , I called Amex again and they immediately removed it. No idea if the issue was at Thai end of at Amex (and to be honest not really interested).

Last edited by AntonS; Apr 27, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could it be that they are pre-authorizations and will drop off after a few days?

defrosted likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: skyteam
A partial update on this, one of the 5-6 people I talked to today created a complaint case, I just got a complaint number email, and we'll see what they have to say.

I don't think I made it clear. The completed transaction that got me a ticket, with a ticket number, and a different confirmation number, was a FIFTH charge, made an hour or so later. Phone time with Delta to get one RT ticket, 34 minutes.
'Often1' is correct, when I say "Visa", I mean the issuing bank. Delta's system gave the same error when trying a debit card issued by a different bank, according to the Medallion person making the attempts during my first call. That tells me it is not the bank's fault.
The Pending charges & credits are still there 6 1/2 days later. Visa did cheerfully put up Pending credits for 3 of the first 4 Pending charges, and will probably do the same for number 4 if I ask.

Here are some "what-ifs". What if I had not called Visa? What if whatever problem caused the false rejections had later "completed" the pending charges?
What if I had been in a hotel in China where cellphone contact is difficult, web access is firewalled, and the customer's factory forbids phones?
What if Visa had responded to 4 charge attempts by blocking the card?
And looking at ticket prices, Boston to Italy for that date went to $2,500 on Monday. Good thing I tried again that same day.

I agree with 'jdrtravel' that "It will be much simpler to do this (work with Visa) then to try to deal with Delta". I find that ironic, having Diamond status with Delta and no status level with Visa. I don't think it's "berating" Delta to ask to talk to a service rep that can view and correct problem charges.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by wrong gate again
A partial update on this, one of the 5-6 people I talked to today created a complaint case, I just got a complaint number email, and we'll see what they have to say.
I think you are wasting your time. You have zero liability for unauthorized charges. Most likely those charges were pre-authorisations and eventually would fall off withing few days to a week. If they do not fall off, call your Bank in about a week and they would remove them. If Bank gives you any trouble and does not remove charges immediately, change your Bank.
gooselee likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Why did you even call the DM line in the first place to book a trip from Boston>Italy? Why didn't you book it directly on DL.com? I have never once called the DM line to book a flight unless I want to find out about availability of a GUC/RUC clearing at booking. Period! I don't understand this whole booking with the DM-line story! Perhaps you would like to explain further why you did it this way?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by audidudi
Why did you even call the DM line in the first place to book a trip from Boston>Italy? Why didn't you book it directly on DL.com? I have never once called the DM line to book a flight unless I want to find out about availability of a GUC/RUC clearing at booking. Period! I don't understand this whole booking with the DM-line story! Perhaps you would like to explain further why you did it this way?
Can be on the road, or otherwise unable to go online. AS for me I like calling knowing DL is likely to reduce number of agents if don't show they're being used.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Can be on the road, or otherwise unable to go online. AS for me I like calling knowing DL is likely to reduce number of agents if don't show they're being used.
I somewhat agree with you, however if the OP could make a phone call to DL Reservations, then why not use the DL App and book it that way! It couldn't have been that important to not book it on the App, instead of calling! But I'm sure we'll hear otherwise!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:58 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by steve64
It sounds to me as if you don't understand the difference between a "charge" to your credit card versus an "authorization/credit" request (which usually appear on on-line displays as a "pending transaction").

If you still don't undestand [sic] the difference between a "credit request" and the completed transaction, then think of a restaurant bill.
At the end of dinner, your wait person brings you a bill for $100. You hand back your CC. They bring back an uncompleted "record of transaction" for $100. To have been able to print that record, they have already asked the CC for a $100 credit request and received an "approval code" (or a "credit denied" message). At this point, you have a "pending transaction" (and hold) for $100. You add a $20 tip and adjust the final amount to $120 then sign the record. Let's say today is your billing date and indeed, the CC is generation your new billing statement as you are filling out the record. The $100 "pending" transaction will NOT be billed to you. Not now, not ever, even though the $100 hold is on your CC acct. You hand the signed record back to the waiter. At some point after that, the merchant will submit to the CC wanting their $120 (minus whatever fee the CC charges them). If the merchant correctly sent back the authorization code of the credit request then the CC will remove the $100 hold at that time while at the same time creating a billable/chargeable transaction to your acct for $120. At the creation of the next statement is when you will be "charged" the $120.
In practice restaurant Point of Sale systems add 20% to the restaurant check for an authorization to avoid additional transaction charges. That percentage can be adjusted if, for example, a restaurant has an average tip that's higher than 20%. But otherwise you're on target. This creates a problem with people using debit cards and running their checking account very close to zero - like balances under $100.They thought the charge hold would be $35 but it was actually $42.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I somewhat agree with you, however if the OP could make a phone call to DL Reservations, then why not use the DL App and book it that way! It couldn't have been that important to not book it on the App, instead of calling! But I'm sure we'll hear otherwise!
Are you serious? What in the world are you talking about? Of course a DM should be able to call the DM line and book a reservation (or any customer should be able to call and book over the phone). This could be for any number of reasons, including that this is simply some people's preferred method of booking, not to mention that there are any number of situations that can't be handled online. A customer's choice of how to book directly with Delta, either online or over the phone, should have no impact on this matter whatsoever. Whether or not one should use third party sites/agencies is another issue, but when going directly through DL your notion that online is better is false.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Are you serious? What in the world are you talking about? Of course a DM should be able to call the DM line and book a reservation (or any customer should be able to call and book over the phone). This could be for any number of reasons, including that this is simply some people's preferred method of booking, not to mention that there are any number of situations that can't be handled online. A customer's choice of how to book directly with Delta, either online or over the phone, should have no impact on this matter whatsoever. Whether or not one should use third party sites/agencies is another issue, but when going directly through DL your notion that online is better is false.
Well evidently booking directly with the DM line in this case failed, as he got charged four times for one ticket! Perhaps you missed that in your hurry to criticize me!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by wrong gate again

I don't think I made it clear. The completed transaction that got me a ticket, with a ticket number, and a different confirmation number, was a FIFTH charge, made an hour or so later. Phone time with Delta to get one RT ticket, 34 minutes.
'Often1' is correct, when I say "Visa", I mean the issuing bank. Delta's system gave the same error when trying a debit card issued by a different bank, according to the Medallion person making the attempts during my first call. That tells me it is not the bank's fault.
The Pending charges & credits are still there 6 1/2 days later. Visa did cheerfully put up Pending credits for 3 of the first 4 Pending charges, and will probably do the same for number 4 if I ask.
Then do it instead of whining!

Here are some "what-ifs". What if I had not called Visa? What if whatever problem caused the false rejections had later "completed" the pending charges?
What if I had been in a hotel in China where cellphone contact is difficult, web access is firewalled, and the customer's factory forbids phones?
What if Visa had responded to 4 charge attempts by blocking the card?
And looking at ticket prices, Boston to Italy for that date went to $2,500 on Monday. Good thing I tried again that same day.

I agree with 'jdrtravel' that "It will be much simpler to do this (work with Visa) then to try to deal with Delta". I find that ironic, having Diamond status with Delta and no status level with Visa. I don't think it's "berating" Delta to ask to talk to a service rep that can view and correct problem charges.
what if, what if, what if ... geez just call the bank, it's not hard
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Well evidently booking directly with the DM line in this case failed, as he got charged four times for one ticket! Perhaps you missed that in your hurry to criticize me!
I'm well aware of the thread topic, it just seems obvious to me that a error with a credit card could occur either online or over the phone.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
A friend who is not a Flyertalker and just an occasional traveller, but certainly internet shopping savvy just posted on social media that he had multiple charges post to his credit card while shopping Delta's website. Shopping/browsing different dates and whether to use miles or dollars, not clicking "Purchase". This is very strange! He had to call DL twice to get the unwanted tickets reversed.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by RaflW
A friend who is not a Flyertalker and just an occasional traveller, but certainly internet shopping savvy just posted on social media that he had multiple charges post to his credit card while shopping Delta's website. Shopping/browsing different dates and whether to use miles or dollars, not clicking "Purchase". This is very strange! He had to call DL twice to get the unwanted tickets reversed.
An occasional traveler posted to social media that he was just browsing, yet somehow Delta managed to read the credit card in his wallet and charge him? Sure. Why do people post drivel like this?
HDQDD likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
An occasional traveler posted to social media that he was just browsing, yet somehow Delta managed to read the credit card in his wallet and charge him? Sure. Why do people post drivel like this?
I didn't give enough info. He did purchase ONE of the ITNs he was looking at. He's also a very talented engineer and one of the smartest people I know. Despite your snark, he does have the question of why DL appeared to have charged the card saved to his Delta 'wallet' for other ITNs -- that's the issue he is concerned about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.