FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Flight cancelled due to AF strike, is it possible to keep the same class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1906413-flight-cancelled-due-af-strike-possible-keep-same-class.html)

feds99 Apr 27, 2018 11:54 am

Flight cancelled due to AF strike, is it possible to keep the same class?

I've booked through Delta but on an AF flight to France on May 3rd, which has now been cancelled due to the strikes.
When I originally booked, I sprung for a discounted Premium Select fare (A), and now I'm wondering what happens - do I still get a seat in that class when I'm rebooked onto a new flight?
If I'm rebooked onto a Delta flight that doesn't have a Premium Select cabin, does it just turn into a Comfort + seat?
Could I call and ask to get rebooked onto a KLM flight that DOES have a Premium Select cabin?
(I'm FO on Skymiles - not sure if that helps me at all)

flyerCO Apr 27, 2018 12:04 pm

The system will most likely place you on a DL flight in C+. You can call back and get rebooked. There's a DL A350 (PS EQUIPPED) flight once a day to AMS. Otherwise I don't believe KLM has PE, just the C+ equivalent. Could see if there's another not cancelled AF flight also.

AntonS Apr 27, 2018 12:15 pm

Good luck. The situation with AF is getting insane. I recently had SEA-CDG-XXX with SEA-CDG on DL and CDG-XXX on AF. The AF connecting flight was cancelled day before due to strike. This was paid J and not many options left, because SEA-AMS was already sold out in J and I did not want to make a double connection in JFK or DTW. I tried to pressure DL to rebook me on LH or BA out of SEA but after talking to several supervisors it got me nowhere. Accepted SEA-YVR-AMS-XXX, which sucked because KL long haul sucks in J. If your flight is booked under AF number you maybe eligible for more with EU 261. I do not think DL-coded flights departing from USA to Europe are eligible for EU 261, only departing from Europe are eligible.

3Cforme Apr 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by AntonS (Post 29690589)
If your flight is booked under AF number you maybe eligible for more with EU 261.

A strike is a force majeur event that wipes out rights to compensation. Qualified passengers facing a delay may qualify for food and hotel vouchers.

NHFL9 Apr 27, 2018 12:36 pm

I had a very serious delay (4+ hour mechanical) on a DL coded, AF operated CDG-JFK. Called DL to rebook and was informed that I could only be rebooked in Y on DL despite having paid for Premium Economy. Decided to stay the course and fly on the delayed AF. Wound up getting EU261 compensation so probably wound up better off than had DL accommodated us in J.

Often1 Apr 27, 2018 12:46 pm

OP - Don't make any decisions without doing some comparison shopping.

Being rebooked from AF in PE to DL in C+ is a substantial degradation in service. You are entitled to a refund of the fare difference between what you paid and Y. You could then purchase the C+ supplement. Without knowing the numbers, it is hard to tell you which way to jump.

You may cancel your ticket for a full refund and then book whatever you want. See what DL in C+ would cost if purchased today. If it's less than what you have paid for AF, take the refund and purchase the new ticket.

AF (DL in North America) will generally rebook you on KL, but is not obligated to do so.

In addition to all else, do the homework first. If you are asking for rebooking, have the flight numbers handy to feed the agent. The easier you make this, the more likely it is to happen.

flyerCO Apr 27, 2018 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 29690635)
A strike is a force majeur event that wipes out rights to compensation. Qualified passengers facing a delay may qualify for food and hotel vouchers.

This is no longer the case. A strike might or might not be extraordinary grounds due to recent court case. All the case has done is muddy already unclear lines on what counts for extraordinary circumstances.

flyerCO Apr 27, 2018 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by AntonS (Post 29690589)
Good luck. The situation with AF is getting insane. I recently had SEA-CDG-XXX with SEA-CDG on DL and CDG-XXX on AF. The AF connecting flight was cancelled day before due to strike. This was paid J and not many options left, because SEA-AMS was already sold out in J and I did not want to make a double connection in JFK or DTW. I tried to pressure DL to rebook me on LH or BA out of SEA but after talking to several supervisors it got me nowhere. Accepted SEA-YVR-AMS-XXX, which sucked because KL long haul sucks in J. If your flight is booked under AF number you maybe eligible for more with EU 261. I do not think DL-coded flights departing from USA to Europe are eligible for EU 261, only departing from Europe are eligible.

Coding has ZERO to do with it.. All that matters is who operates the plane.

feds99 Apr 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Hey all,
An update for you:

Just got off the phone with Delta - they were automatically going to rebook me in C+ on a DL flight the day BEFORE the cancelled flight.
I asked if I could fly the date as originally scheduled but connect in AMS to ensure I get a Premium Select cabin, as flyerCO suggested.
The agent wasn't sure that was allowed because AF calls their PS cabin "Premium Economy", which caused some confusion for her because it "sounds" like C+.
So she called her support desk and they confirmed it is indeed a PS fare, and so they were able to rebook me on a DL flight to AMS in PS.
It's not the amazing direct Dreamliner AF flight with Premium Economy I was anticipating, but I'll take it over a C+ any day!

Thanks all!

CarmenOM Apr 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by feds99 (Post 29690827)
Hey all,
An update for you:

Just got off the phone with Delta - they were automatically going to rebook me in C+ on a DL flight the day BEFORE the cancelled flight.
I asked if I could fly the date as originally scheduled but connect in AMS to ensure I get a Premium Select cabin, as flyerCO suggested.
The agent wasn't sure that was allowed because AF calls their PS cabin "Premium Economy", which caused some confusion for her because it "sounds" like C+.
So she called her support desk and they confirmed it is indeed a PS fare, and so they were able to rebook me on a DL flight to AMS in PS.
It's not the amazing direct Dreamliner AF flight with Premium Economy I was anticipating, but I'll take it over a C+ any day!

Thanks all!

The AF PE seats get mixed reviews, although I don’t know whether that applies to the Dreamliner. You may find that the DL PS seat is better anyway. The other Delta partner with Premium Economy seats from the US to Europe is VS. I can attest that their PE is very comfortable.

jmertic Apr 27, 2018 4:09 pm

Just had this same scenario- they offered to book on the A350 via AMS but the timings didn’t work. Ended up getting C+ and ORC so I could keep the MQM bonus.

RaflW Apr 27, 2018 5:29 pm

jmertic: Shouldn't there also be some downgrade compensation?
Also, it's frustrating to hear that DL had planned to rebook feds99 in C+. What was the fare class on the original AF ticket? That should matter more than having AF premium economy 'sound like' comfort plus to a phone agent.
I suppose over time as more Delta Premium Select seats get sold (and IRROPS happen to them) phone agents will start to have experience with these issues. Also points to problems with DL using their various nomenclatures that don't really match industry standards.
And, finally, though this wouldn't work to AMS - but Alitalia also has Premium Econ in addition to VS.

Often1 Apr 27, 2018 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 29690726)
This is no longer the case. A strike might or might not be extraordinary grounds due to recent court case. All the case has done is muddy already unclear lines on what counts for extraordinary circumstances.

If you read the written decision, it applies only to so-called "wildcat" strikes and not those which are called through the oddball European trade union process. This entire on-again and off-gain strike situation in France and affecting AF is of the latter sort. Nothing in the most recent decision helps people in OP's situation. In fact, it's particularly unhelpful.

jmertic Apr 27, 2018 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by RaflW (Post 29691486)
jmertic: Shouldn't there also be some downgrade compensation?
Also, it's frustrating to hear that DL had planned to rebook feds99 in C+. What was the fare class on the original AF ticket? That should matter more than having AF premium economy 'sound like' comfort plus to a phone agent.
I suppose over time as more Delta Premium Select seats get sold (and IRROPS happen to them) phone agents will start to have experience with these issues. Also points to problems with DL using their various nomenclatures that don't really match industry standards.
And, finally, though this wouldn't work to AMS - but Alitalia also has Premium Econ in addition to VS.

They indicated that downgrade compensation would be provided if they couldn’t put me in C+. I had thought
about pushing them on this, but I know that the price I paid for AF A class ( on 057 stock ) was about the same as C+ so didn’t want to push the issue.

flyerCO Apr 27, 2018 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29691660)
If you read the written decision, it applies only to so-called "wildcat" strikes and not those which are called through the oddball European trade union process. This entire on-again and off-gain strike situation in France and affecting AF is of the latter sort. Nothing in the most recent decision helps people in OP's situation. In fact, it's particularly unhelpful.

I worded carefully. I didn't say it does change it, however there is now confusion as to if it will apply in these cases also. Before the ruling it was a firm no. Even now there's good reason to believe it wont change it in regard to normal strikes. However there's significant and justified concern that it may, as the logic works for normal strikes as well.