FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Diamond bag weight limit reduction? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1906410-diamond-bag-weight-limit-reduction.html)

gerardfarrell Apr 27, 2018 11:11 am

Diamond bag weight limit reduction?

Just checked in with a 57lb bag and the agent made me take 5lb out and put it in my other case. She said her system would only let her pass bags up to 52lb. I said I thought diamonds got 70lb and she agreed but said this seemed to be a recent change.

Anyone heard anything about a change?

flyerCO Apr 27, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by gerardfarrell (Post 29690374)
Just checked in with a 57lb bag and the agent made me take 5lb out and put it in my other case. She said her system would only let her pass bags up to 52lb. I said I thought diamonds got 70lb and she agreed but said this seemed to be a recent change.

Anyone heard anything about a change?

Nope. Three @ 70# is DM entitlement for US. Outside US Three at 50#. Were you entitled to DL or another airlines bag policy? Only time I gave issue with DL and bags are when OAL bag policy comes into play. Also were you flying to any of the exception cities? Mainly Mexico and Northern South America .

The Situation Apr 27, 2018 11:33 am

Depends where you are flying and class of travel. Most international flights in economy are 50 lbs. Domestic is 70 and international J class is 70. That being said, I am surprised she didn't let you pass with 57 lbs - I got a pass at 82 lbs (paid domestic F) back in the days when I was an FO a few years ago.

gerardfarrell Apr 27, 2018 1:00 pm

I was flying to Northern South America so that is probably the reason. All Delta. Seems a bit of an arbitrary exclusion but maybe the baggage handlers are weaklings. I'm sure I've been over before though and it has never been mentioned.

Live and learn.

flyerCO Apr 27, 2018 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by gerardfarrell (Post 29690736)
I was flying to Northern South America so that is probably the reason. All Delta. Seems a bit of an arbitrary exclusion but maybe the baggage handlers are weaklings. I'm sure I've been over before though and it has never been mentioned.

Live and learn.

What city? Certain high altitude airports have limits due to W&B. It has nothing to do with handlers.

Often1 Apr 27, 2018 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 29690743)
What city? Certain high altitude airports have limits due to W&B. It has nothing to do with handlers.

+1 -

1. It's on the website.
2. It's on OP's e-ticket receipt.

Even if it's a bad policy, it's published.

gerardfarrell Apr 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Lima. Possibly the lowest airport in SA!

The ticket does say 50lbs in very small print way down at the bottom. But it also says SkyMiles Medallion members, SkyTeam Elite & Elite Plus and active US Military personnel are eligible for fee waivers and other benefits. I thought 70lbs was a benefit.

rylan Apr 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Its all right here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...lionStatusBags

If you're traveling in coach, then its 50lbs outside US. In first/business its 70lbs worldwide.

If I recall there was a change but thought that was a year ago.

jdrtravel Apr 27, 2018 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by gerardfarrell (Post 29690869)
Lima. Possibly the lowest airport in SA!

The ticket does say 50lbs in very small print way down at the bottom. But it also says SkyMiles Medallion members, SkyTeam Elite & Elite Plus and active US Military personnel are eligible for fee waivers and other benefits. I thought 70lbs was a benefit.

Totally understandable confusion. The baggage policies are really confusing.

gerardfarrell Apr 27, 2018 1:53 pm

Ah, the penny drops. A couple of weeks ago when I dumped a bag dead on 50lbs on the scales and commented that I was just OK the agent said I was more than OK as the limit was 70. But that was a domestic US flight.

howtofreetravel Apr 28, 2018 1:18 pm

If you got a domestic flight before an international often they will let you check in 70