Wiki Posts
Search

How NOT to change a diaper

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
How NOT to change a diaper

So fight 2152 from IAH to ATL and a cute kid is sitting in seat 1A with mom in seat 1B. My wife and I in seat 1C,D listining to the cute say as we sit pior to takoff ( No i no poop)
I can tell you by the smell he had and hey it happens. But right after the sestbelt sign comes off the mom proceeds to change the diaper in the seat 1A, not on the lavatory but on the seat. 2 flight atteddants walk by , look and say nothing.
It was over quicky but I sure wouldnt want to sit in that seat on the next flight.
Are attendants supposed to allow this?
Just asking
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
All common decency and decorum goes out the window when people walk through the TSA checkpoint.

Just another example.
UAPremierGuy, HDQDD, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Apr 24, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Didn't a Chinese family put newspaper down on a seat a few years ago and tell their child to squat and poop there during a Delta flight? That seems a bit worse...

In South Africa a few years back a mom changed her baby's poopy diaper on the tray table behind me, and of course the smell in our row was absolutely horrible.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Years ago on an Alaska Airlines flight, a woman changed her baby's poopy diaper on the tray table right next to me. Both gross and insanitary. I decided that, being Alaska Airlines, maybe she lived out in the tundra and didn't know any better. She looked kinda woodsy.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:27 pm

Nearly a lifetime ago, taking my six month son on a flight from Dallas to Philadelphia, I learned two important lessons. The second lesson, packing only two diapers on carryon, may not be a wise decision as he saturated his diaper in the airport bar, followed by filling the two spares with rather toxic loads shortly after takeoff. Fortunately, the flight attendant, actually a stewardess at that time, felt so compelled to rescue my young son from such an obviously incompetent father, took him from me, and aided by an elderly women next to me, they marched into first class, commandeered a linen napkin, and created a fine diaper substitute. I have no idea if they used an open seat, a tray table, the rest room or the pantry, but the kid seemed happy.

By the way, the first lesson I learned, other than a puppy, there is nothing that attracts young women in an airport bar more than a father traveling alone with a six month old baby.

HDQDD, wrp96 and apodo77 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:53 pm

Happened on an SQ flight a few rows in front of me. The adult male of the party wasn't too pleased to be told not to do that again.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by wrongway
Nearly a lifetime ago, taking my six month son on a flight from Dallas to Philadelphia, I learned two important lessons. The second lesson, packing only two diapers on carryon, may not be a wise decision as he saturated his diaper in the airport bar, followed by filling the two spares with rather toxic loads shortly after takeoff. Fortunately, the flight attendant, actually a stewardess at that time, felt so compelled to rescue my young son from such an obviously incompetent father, took him from me, and aided by an elderly women next to me, they marched into first class, commandeered a linen napkin, and created a fine diaper substitute. I have no idea if they used an open seat, a tray table, the rest room or the pantry, but the kid seemed happy.

By the way, the first lesson I learned, other than a puppy, there is nothing that attracts young women in an airport bar more than a father traveling alone with a six month old baby.

who travels anywhere with a 6mo old with only 2 diapers? Were you planning on going straight to Walgreen's when you landed?
HDQDD likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
In South Africa a few years back a mom changed her baby's poopy diaper on the tray table behind me, and of course the smell in our row was absolutely horrible.
Changing on tray tables is a necessity. We've flown with our now 7 month old on 4 round trips, and he poops without fail every time we fly (the only exception is that when we have a connection sometimes he won't poop on the second flight). He leaks out about 75% of the time he poops on a plane. It has happened at least twice that the seatbelt sign was on and we had no choice but to change him on the tray table. Obviously we put a changing pad down on top of it, but when there's no option, you do what you can.

EDIT: One more thing - I'm just going to say it - the changing tables in airplane restrooms are my favorite place to change the baby other than our changing pad at home. They are exactly the right height for me (the ones in public restrooms usually require a lot of bending over), they have exactly the right amount of space below them to put the diaper bag on the closed toilet seat, and there is space all along the counter to lay out my supplies out of reach of the baby.

Last edited by dblumenhoff; Apr 23, 2018 at 9:17 pm Reason: added comment about airplane changing tables
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by MarkCron
who travels anywhere with a 6mo old with only 2 diapers? Were you planning on going straight to Walgreen's when you landed?
Nope, had two dozen packed in checked luggage. I did not say it was a good plan.
HDQDD likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wrongway
Nearly a lifetime ago, taking my six month son on a flight from Dallas to Philadelphia, I learned two important lessons...

...By the way, the first lesson I learned, other than a puppy, there is nothing that attracts young women in an airport bar more than a father traveling alone with a six month old baby.

Too bad stinky chased them all away when they got close.
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by WWads
All common decency and decorum go out the window when people walk through the TSA checkpoint.

Just another example.
Side bar -- When you juxtapose people's frame of mind to the treatment the TSA subjects passengers to, suddenly it all makes sense.

(hyperbole)
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:43 pm

I've been traveling with my child since she was 6 weeks old, including more TATL and TPAC flights than I can remember. She is now 3. I have never changed her outside the lav. Lavs are disgusting, but that's what disposable changing pads (which are exactly like puppy piddle pads) are for. Even if there isn't a changing table on smaller planes, there is a toilet with a lid. Throw the disposable changing pad or lots of paper towels on top. It's rude, inconsiderate, and uncouth to change a diaper (especially a poopy one) on the tray table, seat, or really anywhere outside the lav.
Spiff, Esltroy and altabello like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Marilu
I've been traveling with my child since she was 6 weeks old, including more TATL and TPAC flights than I can remember. She is now 3. I have never changed her outside the lav. Lavs are disgusting, but that's what disposable changing pads (which are exactly like puppy piddle pads) are for. Even if there isn't a changing table on smaller planes, there is a toilet with a lid. Throw the disposable changing pad or lots of paper towels on top. It's rude, inconsiderate, and uncouth to change a diaper (especially a poopy one) on the tray table, seat, or really anywhere outside the lav.
That's all well and good when the seatbelt sign is off, and I agree with you that the lav is preferable. But given the choice between breaking the law and being "uncouth", I'm going to do exactly what the airline wants me to do, which is stay in my seat and change the diaper the only way I can, on the tray table.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Years ago on an Alaska Airlines flight, a woman changed her baby's poopy diaper on the tray table right next to me. Both gross and insanitary. I decided that, being Alaska Airlines, maybe she lived out in the tundra and didn't know any better. She looked kinda woodsy.
did you say something
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:41 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Didn't a Chinese family put newspaper down on a seat a few years ago and tell their child to squat and poop there during a Delta flight? That seems a bit worse...

I was on a flight in China a few years ago when the family had their baby poop in a plastic bag, then place it under the seat in front of them (mine). Called the FA over, she took care of it but said it wasn't the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.