Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

My Account Flight = $733 my moms account Flight = 703

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat

I just booked 1st class ticket from JFK to SDQ

I looked while logged into my account and the flight was 733 round trip Z fare
For ..... and giggles I logged into my moms account and the same flight's same fare code was 30 dollars cheaper.

I thought maybe I saw wrong so I log back into my account and sure enough its 733 sign out and back into my moms 703.

I wonder what discount my mom has that I don't she does have a Delta Amex I do not.

She never flys I fly once a month this route.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are multiple Z fare filings on this route. XNNL0VFX is $259 base and TNNJ0WFX is $289 base. There's your $30 difference. In order to get the XNNL0VFX fare, there must be X bucket (in addition to Z). If there is only T or higher bucket availability on the flight, you'll get the TNNJ0WFX fare. Both have a 21-day advance purchase requirement.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

What would trigger her account seeing the cheaper fare and mines the more expensive? For future reference.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
What would trigger her account seeing the cheaper fare and mines the more expensive? For future reference.
X and T bucket availability at time of purchase. The $30 difference in Z fares matches the $30 difference between X and T coach fares.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Happens all the time and all airlines. I just booked a couple of SJU-IAD flights and the cost of one ticket was $33 more than the other two. All of them on the same fare class.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

I guess I'll check both accounts before booking just to be safe.

Speaking of SJU i need to visit my family in Arecibo.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by LBJ
X and T bucket availability at time of purchase. The $30 difference in Z fares matches the $30 difference between X and T coach fares.
The OP said he was logging back in and out and searching immediately. It sounds like for some reason Delta.com isn't offering the X fare when he's logged in.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamOF
The OP said he was logging back in and out and searching immediately. It sounds like for some reason Delta.com isn't offering the X fare when he's logged in.
Yes logged in at same time just different accounts.

I can't duplicate it now, both show 733

JFK SDQ 5/10 - 5/23
8am flight
5pm return

I was able to purchase the 703 flight earlier. Z fare
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I'll check both accounts before booking just to be safe.

Speaking of SJU i need to visit my family in Arecibo.
If you are that paranoid, why not just price on a third-party website like Google Flights? Are you sure you were pricing for the exact same flights and dates? Can you repeat it? Did you click through to the fare rules to see which specific Z fare filings were being quoted? It's trivial to do a bucket check on ExpertFlyer to see what the actual bucket availability is. Neither the fare filings or bucket availability are secret.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Just go to your wallet and check the receipt. You will see the fare code and also the calculation at the bottom of the receipt.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
If you are that paranoid, why not just price on a third-party website like Google Flights? Are you sure you were pricing for the exact same flights and dates? Can you repeat it? Did you click through to the fare rules to see which specific Z fare filings were being quoted? It's trivial to do a bucket check on ExpertFlyer to see what the actual bucket availability is. Neither the fare filings or bucket availability are secret.
Not really paranoid I was just curious. I at first when I saw it thought it was some sort of promo my mom was receiving that I wasn't. I can't duplicate it now as stated above but I was checking same days and times on both accounts.

Fare Details: NYC DL SDQ289.00TNNJ0WFX DL NYC259.00XNNL0VFX NUC548.00END ROE1.00 XF JFK4.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: SPG P100, DL DM, B6 Mosaic
I've replicated the thing where adding a ticket to your basket in one account temporarily kills the inventory for another account. Something I'm less sure about is when I buy tickets from my SkyMiles account (which allows Delta to know im super price insensitive), seems like the prices are reliably higher than what I'd get in incognito mode. Not sure if that's an inventory thing, or just pricing optimization
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
What probably happened is on one account, your search and selection has held the fare for a certain time. So the price went up until it timed out and was re-released.

It's possible that timeframe happened to coincide with you switching back to your account, etc.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Yes logged in at same time just different accounts.

I can't duplicate it now, both show 733

JFK SDQ 5/10 - 5/23
8am flight
5pm return

I was able to purchase the 703 flight earlier. Z fare
this is exactly why people like SWA, no nonsense pricing.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrlasssen
this is exactly why people like SWA, no nonsense pricing.
WN has multiple WGA fares just like DL has multiple Z fares. But I can lookup DL's Z fares, rules, and availability on third party sites as they are published via GDS systems. You can't do the same with WN's fares. I suspect there may have been confusion here due to OP not being aware of the fact there are multiple Z fares. DL exposes which fares it is quoting in the fare rules link (8 character codes that uniquely identify a fare) and you can easily verify on sites like ITA Matrix or EF if these are correct. I basically do all my fare searches through Google Flights as it is faster and more powerful than DL's fare search. If DL wanted to target me (which I'm not convinced is the case here), there's no way they could do it unless they were somehow colluding with Google.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 24, 2018 at 11:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.