Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why are NYC -> TYO tix 2x the cost of NYC -> MNL tix which connect in TYO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

For the past few years I've traveled from NYC -> TYO in the late fall (Nov) and found tickets around $1200. They are usually $2000 in busier travel seasons. I am looking at tix now and they are all $2000 currently for November. Maybe they will drop significantly in price at some point? That is not my main question though. If I look at NYC -> MNL flights for the same dates which stopover in Tokyo (NRT) they are literally 1/2 the price ($1000). No idea why this is - but could I book a round trip NYC -> MNL, get off @ NRT on the way there and then book a 1-way ticket (which I can get for 17k points) from Tokyo to Manila to fly home from there? I assume to make this work I would have to do carry-on only. Would Delta flag this type of itinerary in advance, knowing I was skirting their weird double-price tickets for flights going through the same airport (and not even as far)?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:16 pm

Once you don’t show for TYO-MNL segment, rest of ticket will be canceled
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nystateofmind
Once you don’t show for TYO-MNL segment, rest of ticket will be canceled
Oh I figured just remaining segment of outbound flight would be canceled. Return from Manila 10 days later would also get canceled?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
No, if you get off in NRT, they’ll cancel the remaining legs, including the return legs, of your ticket.

Fares are calculated origin to destination and NYC-TYO is seen as a different market than NYC-MNL. The connection in TYO is irrelevant.

What you can see is if there’s the ability to do a stopover in the MNL ticket. If so, you could do

NYC-TYO-stopover in TYO-MNL-TYO-NYC.

This may be cheaper than just the 2k ticket, plus you get some more miles out of it.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by nycbb
Oh I figured just remaining segment of outbound flight would be canceled. Return from Manila 10 days later would also get canceled?
If booked as a round trip yes. No show for one segment cancels everything else on the same reservation
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
To answer your subject question, the same reason an LGW-DTW-BWI is 1/2 the price of a DTW-BWI (being serviced by the same flight)... because they can, and people are willing to pay the price.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:30 am

I suspect the fares will drop some 2-3 months out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.