Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:17 pm

I once bought four 12" wall clocks from a Vancouver IKEA to bring home to demonstrate time zones for my kids.

The Blaine, WA CPB agent doubted my explanation. But mostly, didn't like my attitude.

Detained a hour in a small room, I was eventually declared a "commercial importer" and assessed duties and fines roughly three times the value of the actual clocks.

The attitude of the CO woman was likely the nail in the coffin.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Paplover
I don't think the fine amount varies with being GE, it is that with GE when you are caught you are more likely to be fined than normal travelers. .
That needs to be tested in court.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DiverDave
So I'm left wondering how Delta handles the remaining apples. Are they quarantined or do they have to be destroyed?

David
Everything is destroyed.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Everything is destroyed.
IIRC, all inbound food taken off planes after international arrival into the USA is supposed to be incinerated.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TObject
Aeroflot passes out roses to business class passengers just before landing at JFK.

I left mine on the plane, my seatmate did not. She was sent to secondary customs inspection because of the rose. The officer examined the rose closely, and let her keep it; did not fine her. I think customs inspectors have some wiggle room to decide enforcement action by themselves.
Strange. CX removes the flowers from each FC seat and FC lavs and trashes them upon landing in US, doing so due to US customs rules.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
IIRC, all inbound food taken off planes after international arrival into the USA is supposed to be incinerated.

I wonder how much food waste this is? If it's a lot, I wonder if there could be some way to divert this to homeless people that would not pose a threat to agriculture? Like, if it's actually a ton of food at every airport (and I have no idea if it is) could there be some type of soup kitchen where people could come eat a free meal onsite but not be allowed to take anything with them? I'm sure this would be expensive to manage and involve some logistics, so probably not practical. At the same time, if it's a lot of perfectly good food being destroyed. . . .
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LegalTender
That needs to be tested in court.
Why? The law is that EVERYONE caught not declaring prohibited fruit is subject to a fine. CBP discretion for most normal travelers is to confiscate and let the traveler move on, it is generally not considered worth the effort to fine everyone who fails to comply with the law. CBP is less likely to exercise discretion and waive the penalty for GE members who have agreed in advance to be held to a higher standard and to declare all food items and were explicitly warned of the consequences for failure to follow the rules. GE is a Trusted Traveler program, like most legally recognized trusted relationships, the penalties are higher if that trust is violated.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I wonder how much food waste this is? If it's a lot, I wonder if there could be some way to divert this to homeless people that would not pose a threat to agriculture? Like, if it's actually a ton of food at every airport (and I have no idea if it is) could there be some type of soup kitchen where people could come eat a free meal onsite but not be allowed to take anything with them? I'm sure this would be expensive to manage and involve some logistics, so probably not practical. At the same time, if it's a lot of perfectly good food being destroyed. . . .
I hardly think airplane food waste amounts to anything beyond a blip on the food waste radar.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I wonder how much food waste this is? If it's a lot, I wonder if there could be some way to divert this to homeless people that would not pose a threat to agriculture?
A few issues. One is that the food sent to soup kitchens would be subject to commercial importation duties, destroying it avoids those costs. Second, the whole point of the food restrictions is to prevent damage to domestic agricultural operations. You would need to sort all of the wasted food into acceptable and non-acceptable bins, with the latter being destroyed. Also, if you watch most flights, everything that has been served is just dumped into garbage bags for disposal, this makes it even harder to reuse that food besides the sanitary rules about reserving food. I expect that there is not much food that is not served and so is potentially recyclable.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
It really isn't hard to just declare questionable items and let CBP send you along your way. I've done it multiple times now and can't say that process has added any noticeable time to the arrivals process whatsoever.
I always declare everything because I don't import anything objectionable, and I try to follow the rules.

But the question was whether one would answer "Yes" to the food question on the customs form if one, for example, had a bottle of HP brown sauce in the suitcase. Everything I have ever seen on this subject indicated that food in this context means agricultural products (meat, plants, grains, fruit & veg) and 'fresh' food items. That appears to be the common field interpretation of the rule and I've yet to see a CBP officer view a bottle of brown sauce as a questionable object.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by DiscHandler
Did a poster above really expect Customs agents to distinguish between a market bought apple and an airline provided apple? Really? What's to prevent everybody from lying when caught that it was given to them on the plane. I find it remarkable people criticize the by the book folks here and then come up with this type of "logic".
That's exactly the issue here despite the myriad judge-and-jury posters here so quick to throw the book. If you look at the photos posted of the apple in question, it was sliced and sealed in Delta Airlines packaging, CLEARLY provided by the airline in question and not something she picked in a French orchard and secreted away in her bag.

There is a distinct problem with the perception by travelers that items purchased/received inside of the security thresholds at airports are acceptable items for transport, and I have no doubt that most passengers on int'l flights would not suspect that such items violated these rules. I err on the side of caution every time, and almost every time receive the "why are you wasting my time" attitude.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:09 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by pbarnette

When I did my interview it was made clear that GE was a privilege dependent upon me following the rules. It seems only fair that, if I am going to get special treatment due to a low risk status that they’d take a hard line if I don’t follow the rules.

Here you go:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions

That didn't address the point the LegalTender was wondering about. He's not confused over whether fines exist, he's wondering if the speculation that GE participants are more likely to be fined has any basis. You saying that it "seems fair" isn't evidence either way.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
She got off easy. Try forgetting to declare an apple entering Australia.
Australian customs caught me with an unopened & sealed bottle of Gatorade. I was let off with a warning. Have not made the same mistake on subsequent visits. I'm a guest - so I gotta play by THEIR rules.

Last edited by ecaarch; Apr 23, 2018 at 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
From Customs Form 6059B:

"Mark an X in the Yes or No box. Are you bringing with you:
  1. Fruits, plants, food, or insects?
  2. Meats, animals, or animal/wildlife products?
  3. Disease agents, cell cultures, or snails?
  4. Soil or have you visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?"
From the Global Entry program how-to guide.

"5. You must declare any fruits, vegetables, plants, insects, meats or meat products, dairy products, animals or animals/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, or soil. If you have visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States, please let the CBP officer know"

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Strange. CX removes the flowers from each FC seat and FC lavs and trashes them upon landing in US, doing so due to US customs rules.
Yes, SU international soft product is very good. And they try to do nice little gestures.

One of their favorite parting gifts is giving each passenger a little baggie of some fine loose-leaf white tea. I question the logic of giving somebody, who is about to go through customs, something that looks like a baggy of weed. But what do I know about baggies of weed, I only see them on TV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.