FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Woman is fined $500 by customs officials for carrying an APPLE (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1905455-woman-fined-500-customs-officials-carrying-apple.html)

Jaimito Cartero Apr 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 29671301)
She didn't get fined for an apple. She got fined for lying on her customs form/kiosk.

You have to declare even snacks that you brought with you on the trip. Its simply, just say you have food and your luggage gets scanned. I did it once with Stroopwaffels. Its not that hard to not lie.

Is it perfectly legal to bring an apple in? If so, then I doubt there would be a fine.

bitterproffit Apr 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29671314)
Seriously? We're talking about an apple people!!!! Lying? If she had a suitcase full of apples or other produce that would be one thing. What I am so irritated about is the obvious overreaction by the overzealous agent.

We aren't talking about an apple. We are talking about lying on your customs declaration. How odd that you think there are degrees to lying.

richarddd Apr 22, 2018 2:32 pm

I'd bet a lot of people reading this thread will be more careful about their customs forms in the future.

bitterproffit Apr 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 29671317)
Is it perfectly legal to bring an apple in? If so, then I doubt there would be a fine.

I am not sure produce is legal to bring in, so I deleted that in my edit.

But, I can bring cookies in and declare them. If I don't declare wrapped cookies, its a $500 fine and a loss of GE.

bitterproffit Apr 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29671314)
Seriously? We're talking about an apple people!!!! Lying? If she had a suitcase full of apples or other produce that would be one thing. What I am so irritated about is the obvious overreaction by the overzealous agent.

Yeah, I would be with you this except for the times I have thrown out a snack in my backpack because I didn't want to declare it at GE and I didn't want to get caught with it.

I don't see any overreaction. Especially with her being GE. She should know better.

NotHamSarnie Apr 22, 2018 2:34 pm

In 2010 I got caught with an apple I'd forgotten about and in 2015 I was reminded of the shame when I had my GE interview. At that time I was warned that any more apples and I'd be thrown out of the program and not allowed to re-apply because now I knew the rules. I really like apples but I've managed so far to stay clean.

Insulator-King Apr 22, 2018 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 29671292)
She wasn't fined for carrying an apple. She was fined for not declaring an apple.

She didn't forget it. She says she was saving it for later. She lied, and then got caught on a random search.

Sucks to face consequences when you break laws. She now also blames Delta because they gave her the apple and didn't warn her not to lie about it.

I knew about the other thread on Global Entry, but since this has a definite Delta connection, thought I'd place it here.

SHe is facing an expensive lesson, sad to say.

pbarnette Apr 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 29671319)
We aren't talking about an apple. We are talking about lying on your customs declaration. How odd that you think there are degrees to lying.

Agreed 1000%.

I would also note that “discretion” doesn’t mean “non-enforcement”.

flyerCO Apr 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29671298)
And the very definition of insanity is being fined $500 for an apple, especially when it is very clear that agents have some discretion on the matter. A ban on importing agricultural goods is important to protect our crops, etc. That does not mean that an agent can't also be a reasonable and thinking person. Even if bringing the apple was fully intentional, and not a mistake, I still think $500 is crazy and frankly just wrong.

Discretion. Which tells me it's likely this woman (especially based on how she blames everyone else) acted like a nitwit to put it nicely with the agent.

Ebes1099 Apr 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Some of you are real hard liners. I'm pretty sure she wasn't intending to deceive CBP and sneak the apple in. She likely just forgot that she had it. I get it, that's her fault and she's responsible, nobody should be debating that. But it's a pretty simple mistake without much harm done, a $500 fine is quite excessive.

I do think she's making this worse on herself than she has to...blaming Delta is a joke. She should have just owned up to making a mistake and forgetting about it. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some liberties taken in that article too, especially how the CBP agent is described as acting. Someone who blames Delta for this would likely try and play the pity/sympathy card and do whatever they could to make CBP look like the bad guy too.

flyerCO Apr 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie (Post 29671329)
In 2010 I got caught with an apple I'd forgotten about and in 2015 I was reminded of the shame when I had my GE interview. At that time I was warned that any more apples and I'd be thrown out of the program and not allowed to re-apply because now I knew the rules. I really like apples but I've managed so far to stay clean.

Sucks when they pass around the apples and you can't call your AA sponsor since in the air. (Apples Annonomus) :p

jms_uk Apr 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie (Post 29671329)

Same here, only with an orange I forgot about [agricultural violation] in 2010 and a reminder at my GE interview in Jan 2016. Same stern warning - I now definitely make sure not to have anything undeclared with me.

PrivatePilot Apr 22, 2018 3:50 pm

Regardless of which side of this debate you are on, "lying" is the first thing they get you on if they want to get you on something. Look at how many famous people got convicted of "lying" and not the original crime they were investigated on. Moral of the story: when in doubt, just declare it.

justforfun Apr 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Lying requires intention to deceive. If she legitimately forgot she had the apple, she wasn't lying.

HWGeeks Apr 22, 2018 4:02 pm

I guess none of you have flown into New Zealand.