Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Curse of Korean Air partnership

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is silly. Lots of intentional cherry-picking of longer connecting options when there are actually more reasonable choices out there.

For LAX-BKK, there's a 1h55m connecting option with KE18/KE659. The fact that previous poster chose a longer connection to get on the late night LAX-ICN KE12 departure is his issue, not DL's. Back in the days of the DL NRT hub, there would have been only one option available and it would have involved a daytime LAX-NRT flight.

KE692 TPE-ICN is well-timed for connecting to DL198 or KE19 ICN-SEA with either a 1h20m or 2h20m layover and 14 - 15 hours of total travel time. As far as connecting to LAX, there's a 2h40m connection to from KE692 to KE11 for 16h25m total travel time.

Obviously, there are going to be instances of longer possible connections when dealing with partners when compared to DL's former NRT hub which was timed exclusively by DL for connecting purposes and basically had one longish single bank. But for most of the destinations that were formerly served by DL via the NRT hub, there look to be reasonably timed connections to DL/KE's flights to/from US gateways that are very similar to the timings of the former NRT hub.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 25, 2018 at 4:11 am
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:03 am

Not for Me

Originally Posted by wlau
Man, all the Asian destinations besides DL's direct routes and into JP are connected via ICN now!!! Everything is at least 24 hrs or 30+ hrs of travel time... That's almost doubling of other airlines's connecting flights! They need to fix the schedules FAST! 5 or 8 hrs gap at ICN on almost every flight - ridiculous!
I have not had a problem. Coming from KUL recently I connected with another KE flight, a DL ticket and seat, with only 2.5 hours at ICN. Just enough for breakfast, a drink, and a shower in the KE lounge. Anthony Bourdain from Kitchen Confidential, “Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.”
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LBJ
This thread is silly. Lots of intentional cherry-picking of longer connecting options when there are actually more reasonable choices out there.

For LAX-BKK, there's a 1h55m connecting option with KE18/KE659. The fact that previous poster chose a longer connection to get on the late night LAX-ICN KE12 departure is his issue, not DL's. Back in the days of the DL NRT hub, there would have been only one option available and it would have involved a daytime LAX-NRT flight.

KE692 TPE-ICN is well-timed for connecting to DL198 or KE19 ICN-SEA with either a 1h20m or 2h20m layover and 14 - 15 hours of total travel time. As far as connecting to LAX, there's a 2h40m connection to from KE692 to KE11 for 16h25m total travel time.

Obviously, there are going to be instances of longer possible connections when dealing with partners when compared to DL's former NRT hub which was timed exclusively by DL for connecting purposes and basically had one longish single bank. But for most of the destinations that were formerly served by DL via the NRT hub, there look to be reasonably timed connections to DL/KE's flights to/from US gateways that are very similar to the timings of the former NRT hub.
Exactly this. Are folks searching all their connection options on, say, Google flights, then either calling Delta and asking them to try the shorter/more desired connection, or using Matrix to price out specific connection options.

I have often found this leading to the same or even cheaper fare. DL.com is not your friend; it has an agenda and offers itineraries to meet that agenda. Flexibility can be had if you move outside of the search function on their website.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond (SM), Asiana Diamond.
DL and KE will coordinate together to align their schedule for better connection. That is the whole purpose of JV.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I went through a lot of issues with Korean Air during my flight last week. I was encouraged to contact customer relations by Diamond desk agents whom tried very hard but not able to get my seat selection to stick. I did reach out to customer relations and I've learned that a new policy was posted on 5/8 internally, JV codeshare flight booked on DL on KE metal will not have seat selection and will not have online check-in capability. Just a PSA for people on this forum. If you do a TPAC flight on KE, buyer beware.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Easy. Just buy it as KE coded flights. Get the KE PNR from DL (since DL refuses to give that as NW did, as UA and other airlines do), and then you can select seats, do OLCI (useless, as KE OLCI doesn't produce a BP with a barcode, only a screen that "this is not a boarding pass" for all int'l flights; only works for domestic), etc. on koreanair.com.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Easy. Just buy it as KE coded flights. Get the KE PNR from DL (since DL refuses to give that as NW did, as UA and other airlines do), and then you can select seats, do OLCI (useless, as KE OLCI doesn't produce a BP with a barcode, only a screen that "this is not a boarding pass" for all int'l flights; only works for domestic), etc. on koreanair.com.
I did that... doesn't work... trust me. Malaysian call center specifically told me its not permitted. Yes, you didn't misread, KE's customer service call center is outsourced to Malaysia.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
I did that... doesn't work... trust me. Malaysian call center specifically told me its not permitted. Yes, you didn't misread, KE's customer service call center is outsourced to Malaysia.
Oh yes, the KE call center is horrible. One of the worst. TAs in the US know to only call during hours when KE NYC will answer, as when it is in India or Malaysia it's outright horrid and utterly useless.

The online chat that KE had (still has? not sure), however, is good and has always been able to select seats for me before when it wasn't possible online. Haven't used it last few years as now could always do seat selection online for the few DL awards I could book on KE.

If KE has instituted a new policy of no seat selection - as I can certainly see is possible - that would be a real and significant downgrade. On my recent OLCI with KE I could see the seats I had selected months ago on koreanair.com, but it did say that it is not possible to change the seats online - only at the airport. That, I think, was new, and likely then an indication of the new policy of no seat selection on non-KE tickets (a big ).

Well, the only upside is that at least KE food, service and most of all aircraft/in flight product is significantly better than OZ.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Since we get full MQM with KE coded flights what is the point of booking the KE operated flight as a DL code share and having this seat selection hassles?
Old May 8, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I went through a lot of issues with Korean Air during my flight last week. I was encouraged to contact customer relations by Diamond desk agents whom tried very hard but not able to get my seat selection to stick. I did reach out to customer relations and I've learned that a new policy was posted on 5/8 internally, JV codeshare flight booked on DL on KE metal will not have seat selection and will not have online check-in capability. Just a PSA for people on this forum. If you do a TPAC flight on KE, buyer beware.
Sorry to contradict you here, but I flew to ICN last month, was able to select my seat on DL.com, and couldn't have cared less about not being able to check-in online, as I had a bag to check as probably 99% of passengers do, and the agent at check-in needs to verify your passport for any necessary visa, if applicable. This was a JV codeshare flight, booked on DL, on KE metal.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM
I’ve been told by both DL and KE that advanced seat selection is not available for DL Marketed / KE operated flights. However I was finally able to get assigned seats via the DL automated phone system. They’ve stuck for about 2 months now and I’ll report back after my trip with how things go. However based on conflicting reports it sounds like YMMV.
Old May 11, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
I concur with Audidudi.
had no problem selecting seats online ICN-JFK. HAAS to call for CNX-ICN
Does the class of service matter? We were in paid J.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL 2MM GM
Since early this month I had been unable to get a seat request to stick on a KE operated DL coded flight. Calling Delta got every answer in the book, but nothing worked. Today I was told to call KE, they could do it. KE said I would have to call DL but make sure to talk directly to the CODE SHARE DESK. Finally got to them. She assigned seats and they are still sticking. note - business class seats.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
So, has anyone been booking thru KE website instead? Is it easier to select and keep seats? And to direct the mile to Skymiles? I want to book JFK-ICN-HGK shortly and wonder which way to go. Thanks!
Old May 12, 2018, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by audidudi
Sorry to contradict you here, but I flew to ICN last month, was able to select my seat on DL.com, and couldn't have cared less about not being able to check-in online, as I had a bag to check as probably 99% of passengers do, and the agent at check-in needs to verify your passport for any necessary visa, if applicable. This was a JV codeshare flight, booked on DL, on KE metal.
Last month?! I am talking about flights booked and occurred after 5/1... You are missing several key points:

1) Available seats are generally very limited near check-in time. Trust me that on my flight in questions, the plane was 40+% empty when I ticketed the flight 5 days out. But the flight left with 1 or 2 empty seats.
2) If you travel enough, you will realize you missed a huge point - CONNECTING!!! For many us, the KE segment is either mid segment or near last segment, that means by the time we are physically in ICN, it's very close to takeoff time, just like my case - there was almost no seats left but a few middle...
3) No OLCI, no advance seat reserv, combined with the above 2 points means you are rolling a dice just a few hours before take-off. if it's a regional intra-Asia flight, it's probably OK to just suck it up, but DL is using KE to handle the TPAC 12-13 hr flight.... I don't know about you but I do not want to get stuck in the middle seat on the last row...

Business Class sticks and Economy does not stick. I just did another stupid KE flight and this time ICN showed me the policy document that went into effect (or was merely clarified) on 5/7 or 5/8. I probably made enough fuss that day, that they now have written policy to this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.