FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Curse of Korean Air partnership (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1905285-curse-korean-air-partnership.html)

wlau Oct 24, 2019 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by hikouki (Post 31663665)
I would have thought DL-KE partnership was better than DL-CI. The exact same thing happened to me last April on NRT-TPE leg on CI, singlet ticketed with DL from SEA.

Not to hijack this thread, but does DL have this problem with other Asian code-share/ SkyTeam partners?

CI is in a revenge mode to DL passengers. Before last May's KE-DL JV announcement, I was able to select seat (I fly DL<->CI fairly regularly), then it abruptly stopped around that time. Ground crew at TPE said CI pulled those back because of the KE-DL tie up left them in a tough position as KE flies from ICN-TPE as well. CI's people, both call center as well as ground staff, are very candidate about not wanting to treat DL's passenger well and in fact attempted convince me to join their Dynasty Flyer since I've flown a lot with CI (as codeshare). They don't even hide it. My coworker is like Delta 360 equivalent in CI's Dynasty Flyer, so they bend backwards to make him happy. He was shocked that they turned him down when he used his status to try to pick a seat for me - message was clear - not for DL codeshare passenger.

RealHJ Oct 24, 2019 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by wlau (Post 31664137)
CI is in a revenge mode to DL passengers. Before last May's KE-DL JV announcement, I was able to select seat (I fly DL<->CI fairly regularly), then it abruptly stopped around that time. Ground crew at TPE said CI pulled those back because of the KE-DL tie up left them in a tough position as KE flies from ICN-TPE as well. CI's people, both call center as well as ground staff, are very candidate about not wanting to treat DL's passenger well and in fact attempted convince me to join their Dynasty Flyer since I've flown a lot with CI (as codeshare). They don't even hide it. My coworker is like Delta 360 equivalent in CI's Dynasty Flyer, so they bend backwards to make him happy. He was shocked that they turned him down when he used his status to try to pick a seat for me - message was clear - not for DL codeshare passenger.

Hmm... Just recently I had a CI purser who did everything imaginable to ensure I had a very pleasant flight, ensuring the two seats next to me were empty, giving me perks here and there, as a SkyTeam Elite Plus (through DL), she said. Normal 006 award ticket (X class, not even O).

Now that being said, CI has turned me down for lounge access as STE+ when not flying an ST flight (unlike KE, who'll normally let me in, just ask me to be mindful of when the lounge gets crowded - then I quietly leave on my own), but that was really just following the rules and I half expected them to do that.

GagaPilot Oct 25, 2019 1:14 am

Nice to see this thread active again, but hate to hear people are still having seat assignment issues for DL marketed, KE operated flights (especially in business).

I flew to SIN last month via ICN and both seats in the back (53AB) stuck for my spouse and I. (GM at the time for me, FO for him). “U” fare class.

I flew to BKK yesterday via ICN solo (now up to PM) and my seat stuck all the way since booking. 42A in “K” class.

I have found as long as you avoid N, T, or X fare classes on the KE operated segments the seats have a *better* chance of sticking.

No one at DL or KE can (or are willing) to address this issue from what I’ve found. However I’m pleased to report on my last two trips my DL boarding passes worked in ICN and SkyPriority/STE+ benefits appear to be honored more and more. Lots more visible purple dressed DL agents in ICN too. My first trip there a little over a year ago it was rather chaotic and things seemed to have been streamlined a bit.

NOLAnwGOLD Oct 25, 2019 2:41 am

Though I've had decent experiences on KE in J (haven't flown in Y yet) but in general, don't love KAL. The lounges are very busy and just not as good overall. I wish CI was in the JV but I realize the political issue with China. I've gone to more using CI directly, even if the earnings aren't as good. KE really needs to get some PE onboard too. I do miss the NRT hub, having done that for 40+ years now since I was 10 months old

apodo77 Oct 25, 2019 7:39 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD (Post 31664467)
Though I've had decent experiences on KE in J (haven't flown in Y yet) but in general, don't love KAL. The lounges are very busy and just not as good overall. I wish CI was in the JV but I realize the political issue with China. I've gone to more using CI directly, even if the earnings aren't as good. KE really needs to get some PE onboard too. I do miss the NRT hub, having done that for 40+ years now since I was 10 months old

Had to chuckle at the lounges being busy as my experience the SC's are packed every time I stop by one.

wlau Oct 30, 2019 8:55 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 31664200)
Hmm... Just recently I had a CI purser who did everything imaginable to ensure I had a very pleasant flight, ensuring the two seats next to me were empty, giving me perks here and there, as a SkyTeam Elite Plus (through DL), she said. Normal 006 award ticket (X class, not even O).

Now that being said, CI has turned me down for lounge access as STE+ when not flying an ST flight (unlike KE, who'll normally let me in, just ask me to be mindful of when the lounge gets crowded - then I quietly leave on my own), but that was really just following the rules and I half expected them to do that.

I am on CI flight seemingly every week. The cabin crew does say hi to the frequent flyers - not a big deal, DL does it too. What matters to me is to get a decent seat at booking which CI is making it impossible. Most crew doesn't have too deep of pax info, other than knowing their name and elite status so they can come say hi as CI require them to do so. Since you brought it up, I did have a purser came to say hi to me, and was surprised how far back I was sitting and the lousy seat I was in and even commented so and said you must be a Delta FF. DL get a block of seats from CI, so all the DL pax tend to cluster together and they are not in a good part of the cabin.

eneq Oct 30, 2019 9:34 am

Originally Posted by wlau (Post 31681918)
DL get a block of seats from CI, so all the DL pax tend to cluster together and they are not in a good part of the cabin.

I just noticed this. I have a flight in two weeks on a DL/CI codeshare from NRT-TPE and purchased from Delta. When I selected my seat with DL, I only had the option for the back 10-ish rows. When I went through CI's website to select a seat, at least 30 more seats were available.

RealHJ Oct 30, 2019 11:35 am

Originally Posted by wlau (Post 31681918)
DL get a block of seats from CI, so all the DL pax tend to cluster together and they are not in a good part of the cabin.

Wouldn't the solution to that be to ensure to book it as CI direct vs as DL codeshare flights? If it's CI ticketed would be better in case of irrops &c. also.

bdschobel Oct 30, 2019 1:12 pm

Sure, that's a great solution, but most people have no idea that buying a ticket through Delta makes you a second-class citizen! I certainly didn't know -- and still wouldn't know if not for this thread.

Bruce

RealHJ Oct 30, 2019 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel (Post 31682988)
Sure, that's a great solution, but most people have no idea that buying a ticket through Delta makes you a second-class citizen! I certainly didn't know -- and still wouldn't know if not for this thread.

It's not just DL/CI. As a general rule of thumb, it's always better to buy a ticket with the operating carrier directly, or at least with operating carrier coded flights if has to be ticketed by another carrier. Codeshare - with many (most?) airlines - brings all sort of issues. Now, some may prefer to buy it codeshare for greater mileage earning or due to blind loyalty to one airline, but if so then weight the cost vs. benefits.

IMO codeshare only makes sense when that is the only way to get the ticket. E.g. JL NRT-CDG flights could be booked as SkyMiles award flights, if booked under AF codeshare. Upside: using SkyMiles, only way to book JL flights. Downside: seat selection is limited to a few rows, as that is delegated to AF and AF has a section of the aircraft - no access to the full seatmap.

wlau Oct 30, 2019 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 31682598)
Wouldn't the solution to that be to ensure to book it as CI direct vs as DL codeshare flights? If it's CI ticketed would be better in case of irrops &c. also.

These flights with CI are a part of the trip, in which DL priced the entire flight from US to somewhere CI serves, sold on 006 stock, that include DL segments and one or more CI segments. I don't think most people purposely go book a codeshare flight and it's just a part of the trip. If you book direct with CI, then you are not flying DL at all, as they would route as much as the flight on CI or their partners like JAL, which means you get very little mileage credit.

There is no differences on IROPS... I had it and DL took care of the IROPS by routing me through MU/FM or KE. In fact, DL is better at IROPS than CI. CI would just make you wait another day if something happen to your CI flight and it got cancelled.

In addition, CI's seats are very uncomfortable on all of their fleet, so I would NOT intentionally go book CI...

wlau Oct 31, 2019 12:06 am

Originally Posted by GagaPilot (Post 31664345)
I have found as long as you avoid N, T, or X fare classes on the KE operated segments the seats have a *better* chance of sticking.

No one at DL or KE can (or are willing) to address this issue from what I’ve found. However I’m pleased to report on my last two trips my DL boarding passes worked in ICN and SkyPriority/STE+ benefits appear to be honored more and more. Lots more visible purple dressed DL agents in ICN too. My first trip there a little over a year ago it was rather chaotic and things seemed to have been streamlined a bit.

You are right! It's the fare class restriction that prevent seat selection. The problem is there is no way (to the best of my knowledge) to selectively elevate the fare class of the KE segment. Most of us just book the entire trip and pay whatever fare class combinations DL constructs. And sadly, most of DL constructed codeshare KE segments have fare classes that do not allow seat selection, even for elite members.

RealHJ Oct 31, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by wlau (Post 31684862)
You are right! It's the fare class restriction that prevent seat selection. The problem is there is no way (to the best of my knowledge) to selectively elevate the fare class of the KE segment. Most of us just book the entire trip and pay whatever fare class combinations DL constructs. And sadly, most of DL constructed codeshare KE segments have fare classes that do not allow seat selection, even for elite members.

The same is true if you book it with KE directly as well. It wasn't so until not too long ago, but now generally the lowest fare on KE (direct) doesn't allow seat selection either.

wlau Nov 3, 2019 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 31686223)
The same is true if you book it with KE directly as well. It wasn't so until not too long ago, but now generally the lowest fare on KE (direct) doesn't allow seat selection either.

What are you talking about!!! With direct KE booking, I'd know exactly the fare class. With Delta,who the heck knows how DL fare class maps to KE's?!?! That's the issue!

RealHJ Nov 4, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by wlau (Post 31698410)
What are you talking about!!! With direct KE booking, I'd know exactly the fare class. With Delta,who the heck knows how DL fare class maps to KE's?!?! That's the issue!

My point was that with KE you will pay more than the lowest fare just for the privilege of selecting your seat earlier than T-24.