FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Dear Delta: Please bring music to a SkyDeck near me soon (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1905133-dear-delta-please-bring-music-skydeck-near-me-soon.html)

indufan Apr 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Dear Delta: Please bring music to a SkyDeck near me soon

So, there aren't many people on the SkyDeck in ATL-F today and these guys are going to be there for a while and they ask if anyone minds if he turns the music up a little bit. The people that were there encouraged it. They were blasting it by any means. It made the experience more enjoyable on a perfectly sunny afternoon.

I am sure some of you will thing it is beneath the dignity of the SkyClub but the SkyDeck is hardly a quiet and pristine place anyway by its nature. Maybe a partnership with satellite radio and offer a few choices. Maybe something with Bose or other equipment maker that makes outdoor stuff.

Go ahead, I am ready for you all to tell me what is wrong with the idea.

jdrtravel Apr 20, 2018 3:48 pm

I don't know about "blasting" it, but I like the idea of louder music outside and creating more of a resort vibe. I've never been the ATL club, but at the JFK club I also think it would be nice if there was an outdoor bar and some basic snacks. There is just a way that the service feels very spartan out there.

flyerCO Apr 20, 2018 3:54 pm

As long as I get to pick the music. Here comes Alvin and the Chipmunks on non-stop repeat!

kop84 Apr 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 29665514)
As long as I get to pick the music. Here comes Alvin and the Chipmunks on non-stop repeat!

This bit is pretty close to that...I couldn't stop laughing listening to this

JBa Apr 20, 2018 5:48 pm

So the roaring of the jet engines isn't enough for you? You are probably the one that goes to the beach with a ghetto blaster because you don't like the sound the waves do make.
Seriously, I like some decent background music but always get the impression, that the noise level gets up. Because someone has to speak louder so that everyone can hear him/her

ecaarch Apr 20, 2018 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 29665341)
I am sure some of you will thing it is beneath the dignity of the SkyClub but the SkyDeck is hardly a quiet and pristine place anyway by its nature. Maybe a partnership with satellite radio and offer a few choices. Maybe something with Bose or other equipment maker that makes outdoor stuff.

This DJ approves of the idea :cool:

sky303 Apr 20, 2018 7:33 pm

I like that idea as well as some basic food/drink as mentioned upthread. Some background music would make the environment much nicer IMO.

Wonder if occasional live music could happen also? Like once a week in the evenings, say a Friday afternoon/night. I guess it'd be an issue if it got weathered out, because unlike a restaurant or other venue, you can't really have the performer(s) play inside in that situation.

jdrtravel Apr 20, 2018 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by sky303 (Post 29666053)
I like that idea as well as some basic food/drink as mentioned upthread. Some background music would make the environment much nicer IMO.

Wonder if occasional live music could happen also? Like once a week in the evenings, say a Friday afternoon/night. I guess it'd be an issue if it got weathered out, because unlike a restaurant or other venue, you can't really have the performer(s) play inside in that situation.

A DJ could be really cool.

ClipperDelta Apr 20, 2018 8:38 pm

I believe they already started something similar called the SkyDeck Summer Series back in 2016 at both the ATL and JFK SkyDecks, though it wasn't music every day at each club. No idea whether something has been planned for this coming summer....

https://news.delta.com/delta-sky-clu...es-atlanta-jfk

"....At Atlanta’s Concourse F Club, members and guests can enjoy the daily experience lineup which includes:
  • Monday: Champagne and Chocolates. A pairing of Moët & Chandon Champagne with Savannah Chocolatiers’ divine sweets
  • Tuesday: Honeysuckle Gelato. Delicious samples of Italian-style ice cream
  • Wednesday: Planes and Picnics. Classic picnic favorites paired with beverages from Coca-Cola
  • Thursday: Smooth Jazz with Rosé. Jazz favorites served with refreshing rosé wine
  • Friday: Cuervo Rock the Runway. Margaritas, chips and rock ‘n roll
  • Saturday: Caribbean Calypso. Live music and Don Q Rum Punch to punch up your weekend travel
At New York-JFK, members and guests can enjoy the daily experience lineup which includes:
  • Monday: Planes and Picnics. Classic picnic favorites paired with beverages from Coca-Cola
  • Tuesday: Runway Jazz. Jazz favorites featuring live saxophone
  • Wednesday: Rosé on the Runway. Complimentary rosé wine tasting
  • Thursday: Runway Rock. Live DJ
  • Friday: Cuervo Rock the Runway. Margaritas, chips and rock ‘n roll

iadisgreat Apr 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by JBa (Post 29665822)
So the roaring of the jet engines isn't enough for you? You are probably the one that goes to the beach with a ghetto blaster because you don't like the sound the waves do make.
Seriously, I like some decent background music but always get the impression, that the noise level gets up. Because someone has to speak louder so that everyone can hear him/her

Huh?

runninaway Apr 20, 2018 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 29665341)
Go ahead, I am ready for you all to tell me what is wrong with the idea.

It is the wrong idea. Although I regularly enjoy your posts, I'm reasonably certain I probably don't like your (Delta's) musical taste. If you want music, by all means put on your headphones and listen to it. The joy of the SkyDeck for me is the (somewhat) fresh air and the roar of the jet engines. If I have to don MY headphones to drown out the music that you (Delta) picks, I lose half of the draw for me.

PHXflier Apr 20, 2018 11:23 pm

When I am outside, I rather not have music blaring at me. Just my preference. Yes, there is some plane noise and smell, but that comes with the location. Do just like you do on the plane: Bring headphones if you would like to enjoy your music.

NotHamSarnie Apr 21, 2018 12:01 am

Loathe music everywhere. Listen to your damn itunes or headphone-piped whatever and let those of us who like silence live in peace.

dalehill Apr 21, 2018 2:59 am

I like music. I listen to it at home or with headphones. I find the constant assault of music in public spaces everywhere in the U.S. more than annoying. You may like a rousing rendition of “Mack the Knife” at 7:30 on a Sunday morning while trying to read the paper at Starbucks, but I don’t. Some people can easily block it out. I sincerely wish I was one of those people, but so far no amount of Zen has worked.

gooselee Apr 21, 2018 7:42 am

I love music and have it playing almost all the time. At home I've installed whole home audio and basically have it on anytime I'm not asleep or on the phone.

In public, I'm happy to just use headphones because I'm also picky about what music I listen to and it varies greatly based on my mood. Few things better than being out on the Sky Deck and queueing up the exact playlist I want at that moment, and playing it as loud or as quiet as I want.

I'm glad those guys asked and that their selection was OK with the people out there at the time, but I probably wouldn't trust DL's selection as much, and it'd likely all be radio edits.

Food and drink, though ... definitely could use that!