Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Quite possibly the worst Delta experience in 30 years and 1.5 M miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quite possibly the worst Delta experience in 30 years and 1.5 M miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is nobody else shocked that buying a ticket on Delta.com with an alliance partner could result in two separate PNRs with two separate tickets? And we're absolutely sure this isn't the case of having two PNRs because one airline is on Sabre and the other Apollo (or whichever, I don't know what DL or MU use)?

Certainly in that case, even if you can't OLCI with MU, there should be no issue checking in for both flights at ATL.
I'm kind of flabbergasted DL would sell a connecting itinerary as two separate reservations/tickets.

ETA: OK, I see now that at least one other person is shocked.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by Richinga
I know I have only posted a handful of times on this forum but I just had to vent at an incredibly frustrating Delta experience. I’m a DM with over 1.5M Miles.
I think I got the same rep as you did. I was visiting a family member, of which I booked RT and flown outbound at that time. I had to book a separate biz trip, which was booked back to back, assume I would return from my first trip... Basically, I was supposed to return on day x to home airport, then the next morning (day x+1), I take off again on DL, from home airport for my work trip. While visiting, one of my relatives got really ill and was in and out of urgent care, throwing up and everything and eventually went into the ER. I decided to stay a little longer and just go directly to my work destination and not go home...

I called DM desk and ask what needs to be done so they will protect the return leg of my biz trip since I won't fly the outbound one. Zero compassion or care from the DM rep and he right away asked I fax in verifiable hospital records and diagnosis! When I questioned the rational for that, he then decided to make propose changes to both of my tickets, so I get hit with the change fee twice, one on each ticket, plus fare differences. When I challenged him, as they why not just abandon the first ticket (not fly the return) and change the second ticket, which would actually net a tiny credit including the change fee, he told me non change until I fax in the hospital information. I almost blew a gasket! I didn't ask for any waiver on fee, I just wanted to know if there is anyway to protect my return leg on my biz trip. Even with my suggested change to the second ticket, I would not be out of a dime and would actually net a credit. In a situation like this, DL pockets a nice amount of profit!

Ironically, I almost NEVER change my flights. The only other time I did a flight change of all the years I have been a DM, was also for a family emergency. If I finish my trip early, I stay and take the planned flight. If I need to extend my trip, I usually just buy a 2nd one-way ticket because it's often cheaper than modify the first ticket. I am just blown away as the horrible attitude you get at DM desk these days. For all the revenue given to them over the years, even at time when DL is not the most sensible choice, and having slept at 2 airports with their computer melt downs last year, NOT a single sign of compassion or heart for that matter.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Now I am back to not being certain of the two PNR vs. two ticket issue and that is a critical difference.

DL and MU would each assign their own PNR on a single ticket. Or, there were two tickets issued and that necessitated two DL PNR's. Or DL could have booked both tickets in a single PNR and MU still would have issued a separate PNR. Without knowing the answer to this for certain, it is impossible to identify the solution, if there is one.

Sounds to me more as though there is one ticket with a DL PNR and a separate MU PNR. In that case, OP would not be eligible for SDC. The glitch with MU about the ticket number appears resolved.

If this is the case, this is far from bad service by DL, simply routine processing of an interline ticket with MU not permitting OLCI.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Definitely call up DL and explain what happened with the first agent who was charging you for SDC and ask to get that additional price refunded. As others said, since it is a different ticket you should've been able to do a simple SDC at T-24h from check in to any other flight that has a seat up front. If GM or higher, its free. Otherwise, $75. Sounds like they charged you for the price difference and reissued the ticket, although waived the $200 domestic ticket change fee.

If it was on one ticket, they wouldn't be able to do a SDC and would have to change the entire ticket including the MU portion... and it would've been a lot more money.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:05 pm

This sounds to me quite simple. China Eastern and DL use two different GDSs, and whilst ticket numbers travel across, PNRs are often different. OP; are the PNRs meaningfully different, ie one is all letters or 5/6 numbers? As pointed out, you should be able to check in fully at origin through to PVG.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
It's couldn't care less
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just looking through fare rules for ATL-PVG, DL business class fares don’t appear to allow transpacific travel on MU. If I look DL business class fares in JFK-PVG, they do have Z fares that allow for transpacific travel on MU. I am assuming this would mean the OP booked a domestic ATL-JFK and separate international JFK-PVG ticket and is self connecting. This appears like it could save quite a bit of money and wouldn’t be allowed on one ticket in anything lower than a full J fare. I can’t imagine delta.com selling an itinerary with two separate tickets and if it did I’m guessing it would disclose that and show up on your eticket receipt.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I can’t imagine delta.com selling an itinerary with two separate tickets

I can't either, but I can imagine an online travel site selling a ticket like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just looking through fare rules for ATL-PVG, DL business class fares don’t appear to allow transpacific travel on MU. If I look DL business class fares in JFK-PVG, they do have Z fares that allow for transpacific travel on MU. I am assuming this would mean the OP booked a domestic ATL-JFK and separate international JFK-PVG ticket and is self connecting. This appears like it could save quite a bit of money and wouldn’t be allowed on one ticket in anything lower than a full J fare. I can’t imagine delta.com selling an itinerary with two separate tickets and if it did I’m guessing it would disclose that and show up on your eticket receipt.
Which I suppose is the question for OP. He appears to know that he had two PNR's. He must have his e-ticket receipt and that will show the e-ticket number or numbers and that will answer the debate as to whether he was properly or improperly denied SDC.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Yes, this is correct. Delta booked for me ATL-JFK and then separately JFK-PVG. Hence, why there is two separate PNR’s.
I happened to notice that CE’s Business class fare is less than half the cost of Delta. So I contacted Delta and asked the agent about booking me ATL-JFK-PVG. The Delta agent I spoke with said she could do it but was unable to book this under one PNR and it would be split into to tickets. I was fine with this, but was never informed that Delta would be unable to check me in and that I would physically have to go to CE ticket counter at JFK and check in for my flight and then go through security again. Given I only had a two hour layover and the CE desk closes the flight an hour before departure I realized I had a very tight window. That’s why I contacted Delta and requested to be put on an earlier flight. Delta should have realized the issue, even though it was under two separate PNR’s they should have waived the fee. (I had misstated in my original post that I had Z fare, which was not totally correct. I had Z on the JFK-PVG leg, but T on the ATL-JFK but had cleared to FC on a RUC). I understand the fare rules and same class of service not being available, but Delta should have waived the fee given they issued the tickets under two PNR’s and failed to inform me that they would not be able to check me in for the connecting flight.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I have two separate tickets with different PRN’s. I have no idea why Delta was unable to book it under one record......
DL surely can book you under one PNR and one ticket. It will be ATL-PVG-ATL J fare costing several times more.

.......The Delta agent I spoke with said she could do it but was unable to book this under one PNR and it would be split into to tickets..........but was never informed that Delta would be unable to check me in and that I would physically have to go to CE ticket counter at JFK and check in for my flight and then go through security again..........
That's how it works when you are on separate tickets. How it was booked, or who booked it, is irrelevant. Note you are also not protected in case of irregular operations. i.e. if ATL-JFK is delayed, or cancelled, and you miss your MU flight, DL will not protect you as you are on separate tickets. Again, how it was booked is irrelevant.

Your valid complaint is poor explanation by DL phone agent when booking your ticket. Write to DL and they may throw in some Skymiles.

Last edited by TerryK; Apr 21, 2018 at 5:00 am
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:16 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by SamOF
OP has a premium cabin ticket, so fare bucket availability wouldn't matter.
I don't think that was clear. We know the TPAC leg was in J, OP never specified what his ATL-JFK ticket was.

edited to add: ah, OK, he did clarify that in a later post

Last edited by pvn; Apr 21, 2018 at 6:27 am
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
(I had misstated in my original post that I had Z fare, which was not totally correct. I had Z on the JFK-PVG leg, but T on the ATL-JFK but had cleared to FC on a RUC). I understand the fare rules and same class of service not being available, but Delta should have waived the fee given they issued the tickets under two PNR’s and failed to inform me that they would not be able to check me in for the connecting flight.
The rules are still on your side here. If your RUC cleared in advance of you making the change, you were in a paid premium fare, and eligible for the First Class SDC policy (move to any other flight for $75 Same Day Confirm fee if a seat is available in the forward cabin, and the fee waived for you as DM)

Call and get this refund or voucher! DL doesn't need your charity.
Originally Posted by TerryK
That's how it works when you are on separate tickets. How it was booked, or who booked it, is irrelevant. Note you are also not protected in case of irregular operations. i.e. if ATL-JFK is delayed, or cancelled, and you miss your MU flight, DL will not protect you as you are on separate tickets. Again, how it was booked is irrelevant.

Your valid complaint is poor explanation by DL phone agent when booking your ticket. Write to DL and they may throw in some Skymiles.
Technically, yes. In practice, this would be awful service, especially for one of their DMs who is proactively calling to try and fix something. Why must some people be so robotic and act like the airline is God and can do no wrong? If a DL phone agent didn't inform a DIAMOND MEDALLION of such, SkyMiles won't fix anything...they need to fix their reservation blunder. Sheesh. Doesn't even cost them anything and it's free for the OP per their SDC policy.

Also, hilarious that you mention booking under one ticket for protection. I've tried to get DL to book me on one ticket so many times recently; because of an overnight connection, the agent claims "computer says no" and then suggests I buy two tickets. WHAT?! Point is, their own people are incompetent at making the reservation.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
....Also, hilarious that you mention booking under one ticket for protection. I've tried to get DL to book me on one ticket so many times recently; because of an overnight connection, the agent claims "computer says no" and then suggests I buy two tickets. WHAT?! Point is, their own people are incompetent at making the reservation.
Maybe you think the rules are hilarious but that's the rules as it stands now.

Overnight, which is what I do when on separate tickets, is not an issue as you have plenty of cushion built in. I did suggest that DL should throw in some Skymiles for poor service.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
I read this and I just had to comment - you've flown 30 years and 1.5 Million miles and this is the WORST travel experience you've ever had? Are you sure? It seems like there MUST be worse. I've flown 2MM across two airlines and this kind of incident wouldn't even make the top 100 list of "worst airline experiences". Granted, most of my bad experiences happened during the 2002-2008 era, but still, "I tried to change my ticket and an agent applied an unfortunately strict but technically accurate version of the rules" isn't exactly on par with something like "I sat on the tarmac for 6 hours with the A/C off and broken toilets" (as used to be more common), or "we almost landed on a house not a runway" (that wasn't Delta).

It seems perhaps you just got a gruff agent on a bad day? Or someone who didn't know the system? Or who was usually a "regular" call center agent but handled your call to reduce wait time - I mean, it may be that you needed to say the phrase "Same Day Confirmed" to this person so that it would occur to them, and then they could process you under that rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.