Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Companion upgraded with me at window. Now I can't go.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott, Amex

Booked with a companion on same record next week. We are both upgraded both directions based on my status alone. My plans have changed and will not be flying, but companion still is. Ticket was cheap enough that there would be no value left after change fee, so I am leaving it alone. The questions: If my companion shows up for flight and I don't, will he be downgraded on outbound? What about return?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Interesting question. Seems that since you are not required to check in together, if your companion checks in, receives a boarding pass, and boards, he will be in the seat upgrade that was issued on your status. You could change your plans, check in and still board at any time until the window closes. But on the return, since you missed the outbound, your inbound will be canceled and your companion will be the only pax on the PNR. It could be that they are in danger of a seat reassignment if some higher status elite were trying to get into that cabin. I vaguely remember something like that happening to my wife years ago - I wound up not traveling and on the return, she had a seat reassignment, but I don't recall if we delved into why.

Now, what if you changed your flight, and your companion was the only one on the record on the outbound? Or what if you arrived at your destination separately, and cleared with DL that you were going to use the inbound still? You would need a very good reason for Delta to do that. Or what if your companion has his own status, perhaps not as high as yours, then he might have deserved that upgraded seat anyways.

Last edited by daloosh; Apr 19, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:47 pm

I wouldn’t worry as much about the companion upgrade as I would your companion being permitted to travel at all. Especially on the return when your rez will have been cancelled in advance by DL.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I wouldn’t worry as much about the companion upgrade as I would your companion being permitted to travel at all. Especially on the return when your rez will have been cancelled in advance by DL.
Agree with this, you need to call DL and have you be removed from the reservation. I was still on the flight but I had a companion UG at GM window on my PNR one time and had to split the PNRs before the companion/FO window of one day out and my companion never lost the UG and I doubt would have cleared as there were only 2 seats left after GM window so I think the agent has to actually physically delete the UG and it’s not automatic.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Don't call. When your companion boards they'll eventually ask if you are coming also. When they say no they'll simply split the PNR into two. If you call before hand you risk them downgrading your companion. While it's possible for them to still do that onboard, it's unlikely.

just to make sure, did you use a companion cert of did you pay for both passengers?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
OP said they were both upgraded based upon his status alone, so if he splits the PNR or just doesn't show for the flight, how would the companion still be eligible for an upgrade?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Don't call. When your companion boards they'll eventually ask if you are coming also. When they say no they'll simply split the PNR into two. If you call before hand you risk them downgrading your companion. While it's possible for them to still do that onboard, it's unlikely.

just to make sure, did you use a companion cert of did you pay for both passengers?
At what point does this splitting occur? Is it prior to departure? If so this could force a downgrade, right? And then the pax could end up in one of the worse seats on the plane.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
At what point does this splitting occur? Is it prior to departure? If so this could force a downgrade, right? And then the pax could end up in one of the worse seats on the plane.
It won't happen till the OP doesn't board. As long as there's no companion cert at play the system shouldn't downgrade them. The GA will then have to split the PNR.

Generally the way DL systems work, is once an action is done for an upgrade an agent would have to undo it. Phone agents are more likely to do this. Gate agent at gate trying to get plane out not likely.

Just like getting an upgrade on flight departing say Feb 4, at DM window, even though lose status on Feb 1. You remain upgraded unless there's a need to redo seating assignments.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Generally the way DL systems work, is once an action is done for an upgrade an agent would have to undo it. Phone agents are more likely to do this. Gate agent at gate trying to get plane out not likely.
If this is true then a (presumably) status-less person would stay in an upgraded seat at the expense of someone on the UG list?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
It won't happen till the OP doesn't board. As long as there's no companion cert at play the system shouldn't downgrade them. The GA will then have to split the PNR.

Just like getting an upgrade on flight departing say Feb 4, at DM window, even though lose status on Feb 1. You remain upgraded unless there's a need to redo seating assignments.

One data point: My spouse was PM until Jan 31st of this year, and because of very low travel last year, now has no status. We had booked and were upgraded to C+ back in December while he was still PM on an upcoming flight, but were downgraded after he lost status. I don't think this used to happen, but it is now happening.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
If this is true then a (presumably) status-less person would stay in an upgraded seat at the expense of someone on the UG list?
Unfortunately yes.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
At the same time, when the companion confirms OP will not be flying, that seat becomes now available to someone on the upgrade list, ya?
Seems unlikely there's an SOP for downgrading in this situation. If GAs just get over YBYL, I'd call that a win.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:54 am

Lol....my thoughts exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.