Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta FF, after the southwest engine explosion, will you sit in a different spot?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta FF, after the southwest engine explosion, will you sit in a different spot?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by ethernal
World: First death on a US airline after approximately 8 billion successful passenger journeys
FT: How will this clear risk to life and limb change the way you travel?

They're called irrational fears for a reason.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by LBJ
A similar uncontained engine failure occurred on a DL MD-88 in 1996 killing two passengers --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_...es_Flight_1288
The WN incident doesn't appear to be an "uncontained" failure the way it's defined currently. It looks more like the shrapnel went through the engine and was shot out the back. Otherwise, the damage would be abeam of the engine.

However, as a result of this incident, I wouldn't be surprised to see them change the definition of "uncontained failure".
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Nope, still going to pick window seats. I have a much greater chance dying on the way to the airport or slipping in the shower.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
World: First death on a US airline after approximately 8 billion successful passenger journeys
Figured someone would come up with a number (no idea if its right, but good enough for me). The odds of me winning the Powerball are higher than being killed in a plane crash (and I think I have bought two Powerball tickets in my lifetime). I am taking the most comfortable available seat on the airplane, no matter where it is.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
There are many factors to consider. The lady that died may have already been in poor health. It is certainly survivable. A British Airways captain was sucked out of the flight deck when an improperly installed windshield broke away from the aircraft. The flight attendants held onto him and he remained outside of the plane until the first officer landed the aircraft. He survived and went back to his aviation career.
Is this serious? That’s like saying “a gunshot wound is survivable. I heard about someone who lived after being shot.” The particulars of each situation are so wildly variable that it’s a ridiculous leap to say she might have been in poor health. I’m also very sad to hear about this person’s death and have sympathy with everyone who had to deal with that horrifying situation.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by The Situation
Figured someone would come up with a number (no idea if its right, but good enough for me). The odds of me winning the Powerball are higher than being killed in a plane crash (and I think I have bought two Powerball tickets in my lifetime). I am taking the most comfortable available seat on the airplane, no matter where it is.
I did a bit more digging (I just extrapolated knowing there were about 900M pax las year - but didn't adjust for less travel during the recession, etc). The real number is about 7 billion. The odds of winning the powerball are 1 in about 300M, so winning the lottery (per ticket) is about 20-25x more likely than the odds of dying on a passenger plane over the past 9 years (although there is some bias in these figures - one major air disaster would flip the odds back in favor of airplane death over powerball)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cayohueso
You can die of a stroke on the toilet or by being struck by lightning. Your no less dead but at least with one of those you leave a really good story for your friends and family to tell. So no.
Or you could die of being struck by lightning WHILE seated on the toilet.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
No, this is the first time of a death in ~10 years. So I like my odds flying better than driving.
To be fair, there have been many deaths in the last 10 years, just not US based. I think Colgan Air was the last in the US in 2009. Air travel is more dangerous on foreign carriers (in general) but it is still incredibly safe.
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

Wow that MD-88 is still in service today! I’m surprised they never wrote it off especially with the two deaths. I flew on N927DA (the aircraft involved in this incident) back in November and had no idea that that it was the MD-88 involved in the accident.
Seriously? There have been a lot of aircraft in a lot worse shape and more fatalities returned to service. The UA 747 from Honolulu to Auckland comes to mind that lost a significant part of the side of the aircraft when a cargo door inadvertently opened mid flight.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by indufan
Or you could die of being struck by lightning WHILE seated on the toilet.
You could die of being struck by lightning while seated on an AIRPLANE toilet.
CalVol likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
You could die of being struck by lightning while seated on an AIRPLANE toilet.
I am fairly certain that Michael Faraday would have to call BS on that claim (unless flying in the Spruce Goose)

I do like the fantasy sword falling on your head comp from posts ago though. Of course it might be hard to be killed from the typical paper machee toy.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
This is the first death on a US Airline in over 9 years. How many people have flown in those 9+ years between deaths? I'll take my chances.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
I used to always sit / fly in 1st class....

Now, with Delta FCM, I am 40% more likely (this year) to be near the wing in coach (I like exit row)...

If the 1 in 8 billion happens to me I will blame cheap Delta APP/SELL/Check-In up-sells!
Lehava likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Years ago when there was a smoking section in the back of the the plane and it came out that sitting in the back was safer it filled up with non smokers.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Apr 18, 2018 at 7:29 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA/Delta Silver ; UA ; AA
737-700

I may irrationally think about my seat in 737-700.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43818752
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
This is the first death on a US Airline in over 9 years. How many people have flown in those 9+ years between deaths? I'll take my chances.
Almost 100 million U.S.-operated airline flights, carrying several billion people, had taken off and landed safely in this country over a nine-year span since the last time a passenger died in an accident.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-safety-string

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.