Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta FF, after the southwest engine explosion, will you sit in a different spot?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta FF, after the southwest engine explosion, will you sit in a different spot?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL, AA
This won’t change my seating habits.

Sincere condolences to family of Jennifer Riordan.
rogo and Oxnardjan like this.

Last edited by ACCDraw; Apr 17, 2018 at 10:01 pm Reason: less is more
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:09 pm

Certainly a terrible tragedy, but no it won't change my seating habits. It is areminder for me though to keep my seatbelt on during the flight. (I have no idea if hers was on or not), but sudden stuff can happen and it's probably best to keep it on.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
If you sit near the front you're more likely to die if the plane nose dives, if you sit in the middle you may get shrapnel from the engine, if you sit in the back...you're sitting in the back. all things considered ill stick to the front. its all the same at the end of the day if we are all honest with ourselves.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:30 pm

Nope. With that logic, I should never be a pedestrian. Far more dangerous.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Nope.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
At the risk of quoting a Bond villain, "there's no point in living if you can't feel alive".

I've often used this as a reason to not live in fear of terrorism, as soon as you live in fear, they win.
awayIgo, apodo77 and NotHamSarnie like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by tkjazzer
I usually only fly delta.

I am terribly upset about the plane accident which killed a woman on southwest after an engine exploded. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for her family.

Is it safer to sit in front of the wing?

If an engine blows up, the shrapnel likely will go lateral or aft of the engine, right?
Is the aisle safer than the window?

Looks like row 17.
So sad.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8309201.html
No. I’ll still opt for being in the exit row or as close to it as possible. Everything comes down to odds and I figure my odds of surviving an accident because of being able to get out more quickly outweigh the odds of being injured/killed due to an uncontained engine failure (of course one could say I even go to far in that my odds of being in accident are so slim so as to not even worry about that).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Of course not, that flight was Southwest, not Delta!*

*Makes as much sense as this post.
HDQDD, arunhn and flyingmontana like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by LBJ
A similar uncontained engine failure occurred on a DL MD-88 in 1996 killing two passengers --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_...es_Flight_1288
So basically you're fine until 22 years from now, then you should pick different seats.

Making a note on my 2040 calendar.

Also, obviously doing nothing different. Flying is incredibly safe. This was a fluke. U.S. airlines are incredibly safe. Southwest is remarkably safe.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I remembered (vaguely) the 1996 incident and always thought that 6A or 6F were "riskiest," though that didn't stop me from sitting there because of the extremely low probabilities mentioned.

OTOH, not all airlines are the same with safety records and willingness to walk the talk there, even though it's DEFINITELY not an appropriate area for "buyer beware." Will be interesting to hear what the NTSB finds.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If I knew, I might avoid seats that have views toward a WN aircraft parked at the next gate. <joking>

IIRC there was once a security consulting company--the type that provides guard services to top executives in high risk business travel destinations due to kidnappings and murders--that offered some very expensive course to its clients about traveling different routes at different times for one's daily commute, defensive driving, not giving personal info in public, and where to sit on airplanes. I think it included some practice in how to survive a crash such as going down emergency slides but this was not the DL Road Warrier Training that some of us did at a DL ATL DO.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
No I will not change a thing. The laws of the universe don't change - including the laws of statistics.
Lehava likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
World: First death on a US airline after approximately 8 billion successful passenger journeys
FT: How will this clear risk to life and limb change the way you travel?

Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
You can die of a stroke on the toilet or by being struck by lightning. Your no less dead but at least with one of those you leave a really good story for your friends and family to tell. So no.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
No, this is the first time of a death in ~10 years. So I like my odds flying better than driving.
Also airplanes with this engine take off some where ~every 2 seconds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.