Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Int'l Mileage Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
I agree - especially since for the majority of flights it seems like upgrades go to the gate. So this is basically Delta's way of saying that mileage upgrades don't exist.
Well, requiring YBM fares was another way they used to say they don't really exist (especially when M fares were more expensive than deep discount I/Z fares). At least that's gotten a little better. But it's a total crock that DL can't seem to handle them at the gate while AA and UA can.
That said, IME, all the airlines are usually pretty good about clearing most of the seats the day before. I think other than some prime business routes like JFK-LHR, there aren't very many people that buy tickets to Asia within 24 hours of departure. Even to LHR, they probably see more flight changes (given high frequencies) than new bookings.
Of course even if they release 5 upgrades, there's no guarantee the OP or any lower-level elite, will make the cutoff.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
And yet, DL seems perfectly able to, in one click, process an upgrade with miles online, inside a reservation, when they want to offer it. Perhaps there is a lot more going on behind the scenes. In any case, my point stands that DL could fix this if they want to. Yes, it's been a policy for 20 years, but I don't think people will ever "move on" as Mr Tickets suggests. We won't because upgrading with miles is the only way to upgrade to D1, aside from cash, for anyone who is not a DM.
Just for the record, it was 3CForme that mentioned "move on"
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Just for the record, it was 3CForme that mentioned "move on"
oops! Sorry! Fixed.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:34 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
ATL-BRU cleared about 30 hours before departure, with 4 seats in J open at 30 hours before departure.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Don't forget that to be even eligible for upgrading with miles, you must have a Y, B, M, H, Q, or K fare for TPAC flights.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles 1M & DM ; Hyatt Discoverist
So, I just called to ask the DM desk to try to do an upgrade with miles for PDX->NRT in a K fare and NRT->PDX in an M fare for mid-June travel. Representative said there was no availability. I asked if I could be waitlisted, and he put me on hold for about 10 minutes, and his supervisor told him that it was impossible to waitlist for upgrade with miles. Granted, I called the DM desk late on a friday afternoon US/Eastern time, so it's not the A Team I suspect, but this was a surprising answer.
I called back and the new rep wait listed me right away. It was 85k miles for the K fare, and 55k for the M fare.

Once she wait-listed me, it appeared as "upgrade Waitlisted" in the web interface, similar to what I've seen with GUCs, although I have this vague memory that GUCs made that extra D1 record with an unassigned seat... do they not do that anymore?

BTW, the second rep also told me that I would move from that waitlist to the airport standby waitlist automatically, just with lower priority than a GUC. I wonder if she was right; I'll post back here either way.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow those upgrade rates are pretty steep.

Regarding the extra entry when you are waitlisted, my experience is that it isn't consistent... however the 'ghost' seatmap with unassigned D1 seat generally shows up when you go to pick seats for your existing flights.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by shipitfish

BTW, the second rep also told me that I would move from that waitlist to the airport standby waitlist automatically, just with lower priority than a GUC. I wonder if she was right; I'll post back here either way.
No, this is incorrect. I have been told the same thing by a phone agent, only to later find out they were wrong. I have also been told by phone agents that "DL is no longer offering a WL for mileage upgrades" only to call back and have someone else offer to put me on a WL.

Mileage upgrades at DL have always been a mess. NWA actually did this well, including offering online mileage upgrades for any flight (when available) but DL just can't get their act together on this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Happy to say the mileage upgrade to ICN cleared at about 60 hours out. So there is hope after all; they just like making you sweat.
rogo and ryandc99 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.