Wiki Posts
Search

MQDs if someone else buys your ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
MQDs if someone else buys your ticket?

I’m sure i’m just missing something... but apologies because I’m curious...

If someone else purchases a flight for you and uses their own credit card (not yours), do you still get MQDs for the ticket?

similarly, if you book a flight thru a travel agent, do you earn MQMs? Or only if you pay to “take over” the ticket?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Under *most* conditions you *should* receive full credit -- MQMs, MQDs, and Award Miles -- to your SkyMiles account after flying the itinerary. If you provide your SM Membership number the credit should appear automatically. If not, you can call Delta after flying and have them apply the flights.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I’m sure i’m just missing something... but apologies because I’m curious...

If someone else purchases a flight for you and uses their own credit card (not yours), do you still get MQDs for the ticket?

similarly, if you book a flight thru a travel agent, do you earn MQMs? Or only if you pay to “take over” the ticket?
In my experience (which is usually in the other direction), the MQDs, MQSs, and MQMs all follow the passenger whose butt is in the seat - assuming that they have a SkyMiles account and have attached it to their itinerary. I have bought many tickets for friends and family members, and in every case the benefits accrued to them, not me - even though I initially paid. The same *should* be true of tickets through a travel agent - unless they are selling consolidator fares, which I believe aren't eligible for benefits.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876

Yes, if someone buys your ticket with their credit card, you still get MQDs. An example of this is a parent may pay for their child's ticket, but the child would still get MQDs.

Yes, I'm also pretty sure you also earn MQMs on a ticket purchased through a travel agent. RDMs could vary though, depending on the type of travel agent and whether you have an exception fare.

From Delta.com:
MQMs, MQSs and MQDs are earned by the Member who is flying (whose name and SkyMiles number are listed on the ticket) regardless of who booked or paid for the flight.
Source: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...o-qualify.html
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:18 pm

Of course it accrues to the flyer. This is the only way the whole legalized corruption loyalty system works for business travelers.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by bost
Of course it accrues to the flyer. This is the only way the whole legalized corruption loyalty system works for business travelers.
One man's legalized corruption is another man's coveted benefit.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
MQD's should go to the purchaser. I cant figure out why Delta hasn't changed this. They seem to be chasing every dollar so they should be rewarding those who do the spending.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
MQD's should go to the purchaser. I cant figure out why Delta hasn't changed this. They seem to be chasing every dollar so they should be rewarding those who do the spending.
The problem (that I see) with changing how it currently works is that all of the benefits accrue to a single SkyMiles number. In order to have the dollars accrue to the buyer separately, they would have to have a way to enter at least 2 numbers, and designate which benefits are to be assigned to each.

Without passing judgment on whether the underlying idea makes sense, it just seems to me that this would create a level of complexity that Delta is very unlikely to initiate.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
The problem (that I see) with changing how it currently works is that all of the benefits accrue to a single SkyMiles number. In order to have the dollars accrue to the buyer separately, they would have to have a way to enter at least 2 numbers, and designate which benefits are to be assigned to each.

Without passing judgment on whether the underlying idea makes sense, it just seems to me that this would create a level of complexity that Delta is very unlikely to initiate.
Well Delta already has a way of storing credit card info. Just associate a skymiles number with that credit card and then anytime that card is used it will credit the MQD to that account.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:35 pm

Well Delta already has a way of storing credit card info. Just associate a skymiles number with that credit card and then anytime that card is used it will credit the MQD to that account.
One of my dad's favorite sayings was "In theory, 'in theory' and 'in practice' are the same thing. In practice, they rarely are."
Dad to Rei likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to use my corporate credit card to make airline/hotel purchases, but have a great deal of autonomy over which airline and hotel I choose. What incentive do I have to pick DL if I don't get the miles? I'm pretty sure there are a large number of other flyers in my shoes.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LBJ
I have to use my corporate credit card to make airline/hotel purchases, but have a great deal of autonomy over which airline and hotel I choose. What incentive do I have to pick DL if I don't get the miles? I'm pretty sure there are a large number of other flyers in my shoes.
That's nice. Our travel department would never allow the employees to gouge the company like that. Fortunately I don't have to travel for work.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Sorry, but you don’t understand business or marketing or sales basics. Business transactions aren’t just about convincing the “purchaser” or the one with the checkbook. Yes it’s a factor but it’s also about convincing the decision maker, who is often NOT the purchaser. As for DL, they aren’t stupid. They know changing to awarding MQDs and RDMs to the purchaser of airline tickets would be a terrible decision as business travelers who travel on corporate accounts would be far less incentivized to choose DL (assuming they have options) since the traveler would have no benefit.

That's nice. Our travel department would never allow the employees to gouge the company like that. Fortunately I don't have to travel for work.
It’s not gouging. Time is money, as is employee satisfaction and travel rewards are one way of keeping employees who do travel more satisfied. We see it as our perk/reward/tradeoff for having to spend time away on the road. Take away that benefit and you may find such employees are less willing to travel or you’ll have to offer other forms of compensation such as a higher paycheck. Based on your attitude too it’s obvious you don’t travel for work. Maybe if you did your tune would change.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Sorry, but you don’t understand business or marketing or sales basics. Business transactions aren’t just about convincing the “purchaser” or the one with the checkbook. Yes it’s a factor but it’s also about convincing the decision maker, who is often NOT the purchaser. As for DL, they aren’t stupid. They know changing to awarding MQDs and RDMs to the purchaser of airline tickets would be a terrible decision as business travelers who travel on corporate accounts would be far less incentivized to choose DL (assuming they have options) since the traveler would have no benefit.

It’s not gouging. Time is money, as is employee satisfaction and travel rewards are one way of keeping employees who do travel more satisfied. We see it as our perk/reward/tradeoff for having to spend time away on the road. Take away that benefit and you may find such employees are less willing to travel or you’ll have to offer other forms of compensation such as a higher paycheck. Based on your attitude too it’s obvious you don’t travel for work. Maybe if you did your tune would change.
Most of our employees that travel are on Southwest >90% of the time. You're right, time is money. WN has the most nonstops from MCO. They also allow two free bags. DL, AA, and UA would require a connection and is usually more expensive. It's wasteful. And no is forced to travel, you don't have to take the job. I would hate to have to travel for work. But we really should be trying to decrease travel even further and utilize virtual workspaces more.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Most of our employees that travel are on Southwest >90% of the time. You're right, time is money. WN has the most nonstops from MCO. They also allow two free bags. DL, AA, and UA would require a connection and is usually more expensive. It's wasteful.
Depends on what you define as wasteful. In that case it may well be. It’s up to each business to determine its policies. There’s also a tradeoff for employee happiness.

And you only references airlines. What about hotels? When Hilton and Marriott and Starwood all have properties right next to each other, if I collect points and have a preferred brand, I will pick one over the other for that reason, as long all options are within my per diem allotment. If the rules changed I would be less incentivized to pick a preferred brand or have any loyalty to a particular brand.

And your own recommendation may result in wasted money as well by not allowing rewards. For example the other week I traveled to Maryland and stayed by BWI my last night before flying home. I could have opted to stay at a more convenient hotel to the airport that was more expensive (at per diem) but opted to stay at one that was a little less convenient because it was my preferred brand and was well under per diem. I got points I valued and a stay credit towards retaining status. A win-win for me and my organization. Or would you have preferred I just stayed at the more convenient hotel that was $50-60 more?

And no is forced to travel, you don't have to take the job. I would hate to have to travel for work. But we really should be trying to decrease travel even further and utilize virtual workspaces more.
Benefits and incentives are part of what encourages people to take a job. I like traveling for work in most cases and usually don’t mind it. Part of that reason is travel rewards. I then get to take my wife on trips with those points. If it’s a trip where we need to send someone, I don’t mind going because it’s an opportunity to earn some travel rewards and a chance to just travel. Meanwhile some of my coworkers have kids and they would prefer not to travel (or other reasons for preferring not to travel). The situation right now is a win-win for them and me. Take away travel rewards though and it’s no longer a win-win and then, hey, those other folks in my office can start taking some of those trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.